Wanted - Route 66 interesting places

Biggles1998

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike_L
Hi
I’m toying with the idea of an extended holiday which would start with OSH 24 then a drive along 66 ( all the way to LA ), which has been a dream for some time but I wanted to see if I could get as many aviation places of interest added along the way as I could - and maybe some air time ( cub, 150 or 28 ) at parts on the way.
So if anyone has any points of interest or links to anything similar that’s been done I’d be very grateful.
Cheers
Mike

As featured in Angel's Salvation, The 66 Diner, Albuquerque, NM.

As featured in the hit film, Cars, The Wigwam Village Motel, San Bernadino, CA

Hi
I’m toying with the idea of an extended holiday which would start with OSH 24 then a drive along 66 ( all the way to LA ), which has been a dream for some time but I wanted to see if I could get as many aviation places of interest added along the way as I could - and maybe some air time ( cub, 150 or 28 ) at parts on the way.
So if anyone has any points of interest or links to anything similar that’s been done I’d be very grateful.
Cheers
Mike

Stafford Air & Space Museum at the Weatherford Airport. Plus there's a great little restaurant on Rt 66 for lunch, Lucille’s Roadhouse. Great airport to stop for fuel and visit the area.

Hi
Cheers
Mike

Hi
Cheers
Mike
Maybe not quite to your taste, but here's my photographic take on the bits of Route 66 through the Mojave desert in California between about Barstow and the Arizona border — there's lots to see there, including the original Bagdad Cafe (if you're into 1980's Indie European films), Amboy Crater, and a bunch of ghost towns like Siberia (California), Ludlow, etc. Roy's in Amboy (in there somewhere) has a private GA strip that the current owner seems keen for people to use, but call ahead (I haven't seen it for a while; it used to be in fair condition…). Note that you can't currently drive from about Needles to Chambless on old Route 66 due to roadworks — you'll probably have to take the freeway.

Last edited:
Seligman, Az has a nice airport within easy walking distance of Route 66. Located between Flagstaff, AZ and the Arizona border.

Seligman, Az Airport

Nearby is Westsdie Lilo's Cafe, good food, reasonable prices, fun atmosphere, and great pies.

I do not have current information, but I believe the museum was closed during the pandemic. But the outside part is still available for self tours.

Also a place to stay in Gallup is the El Rancho hotel. It is an older but updated hotel where the stars used to stay when movies were made here.

And please tell us you will be driving a '57 Chevy convertible for the trip.!!

Roy's in Amboy (in there somewhere) has a private GA strip that the current owner seems keen for people to use, but call ahead (I haven't seen it for a while; it used to be in fair condition…).
Yup, looks like fun (or at least a great photo opportunity).

Route 66 does of course go right through OKC, so of course you will let us know when you head through!

Wiley Post airport is just about a mile off 66 and has a museum.

I agree with the above recommendation about the museum at the Weatherford airport, OJA.

Can't help a lot with aviation oriented attractions, but can suggest some cool stuff in my "neighborhood". Springfield, IL area leans in to the Rt 66 nostalgia and there's a few sites in the area. I can recommend the "Cozy Dog" restaurant, birthplace of the corndog. IIRC there's a section of original brick road not too far away. If you have time the "Dana Thomas" house in Springfield, while not Rt 66 specific, is well worth the visit. Also don't miss the "Chain of Rocks Bridge" just outside of St. Louis.

And please tell us you will be driving a '57 Chevy convertible for the trip.!!
Needs to be a 1960 - 61 CORVETTE to really be a Route 66 trip.

It seems the car in the series was not red, as commonly believed. But light blue, beige and tan in the 3 seasons.

Needs to be a 1960 - 61 CORVETTE to really be a Route 66 trip.

It seems the car in the series was not red, as commonly believed. But light blue, beige and tan in the 3 seasons.

Yeah, you are correct. I just got excited because I saw a black and yellow '57 Chevy at the gas station the other day. Really nice restoration with an LS engine, but at least the body work was correct.

I am more partial to the 55 Chevy.

My first car was a 55 Chevy Bel Air two door (NOT hardtop). My Dad bought it new.

Due to a generous neighbor, we dropped in a 57 Buick 364 that was built with Thompson AL pistons, Isky cam, Carter AFB, Hooker Headers, balanced. AL flywheel, Borg Warner T-10 Close Ratio with Hurst shifter and 4.10 Posi rear. :D

The best fudge comes from uranus! Got stuck in weather returning from KOSH a couple of years ago. We got a car and drove to Uranus... didn't stop laughing the whole time we were there.

When I'm on a road trip, I use this website. It has a lot of cool roadside attractions listed. Roadside America

The best fudge comes from uranus! Got stuck in weather returning from KOSH a couple of years ago. We got a car and drove to Uranus... didn't stop laughing the whole time we were there.

When I'm on a road trip, I use this website. It has a lot of cool roadside attractions listed. Roadside America
Bummer links blocked from UK, will try with a VPN when I can thanks

National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, not strictly aviation but they do have planes there ;)

Now it goes through Saint Looey
Joplin, Missouri
Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty
You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

Last edited:
One of their ads this festive holiday season read, "Be the hero of this years holiday gift giving and give the people you love a taste of Uranus."

Nauga,
TINS

Not too far from 66, even has an airport...
The Roadkill Restaurant and OK Saloon! Try the Highway Hash!

Not part of "66", but along I-40 which was part of the old Rte66. Moriarty NM, 0E0, has a soaring museum.
Santa Rosa NM, SXU, the runway is part of the old Rte 66.
Winslow AZ, along I-40 used to have a great Mexican Restaurant on the field.
Seligman AZ, P-23, Nice old town on the Rte.
Williams AZ, CMR, nice overnight and take the train to the Grand Canyon
Or land at the Canyon GCN, and take a tourist shuttle.
There was an aviation museum at Valle, 40G, between Williams and the Canyon.

I tried to strictly follow Route 66 for a bit in north eastern Oklahoma. It was surprisingly difficult. I knew it would have a lot of turns on small roads but the signage was lacking which made it that much more difficult. I was happy to see some farm houses and old roadside buildings. But without any particular attractions on that stretch my wife and son got sick of it pretty quickly so we got back on the larger road.

We definitely stopped at the Blue Whale of Catoosa and Pops.

In Chicago, Portillo’s is a safe bet but if you want better Italian beef, go to Al’s and somewhere like Superdawg or Byron’s for better hot dogs.

It’s all good and fun

Not on Route 66 but there is a good distillery in kingman, It’s at the airport

I tried to strictly follow Route 66 for a bit in north eastern Oklahoma. It was surprisingly difficult.

We drove some of Rt 66 back in 2010. Some parts would just peter out; the pavement would get rough, then there’d be grass growing through cracks, then there’d be nothing but grass and dirt, finally a cow path. So we’d turn around and backtrack until we could reach another road.

Fun, but time consuming.

Now it goes through Saint Looey
Joplin, Missouri
Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty
You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

Thanks for making us hip with that kindly tip about a California trip.

Back