Company in England experiments with human waste to produce a 'net zero' aviation fuel

I smell (no pun) a STC for new type of seat, plumbed directly to the fuel tank. Generate fuel while you fly.

So if the goal is to make something that pretends to be CO2 neutral, but isn't really, then I think it has a chance. Because as I see it, all of the neutral CO2 that they call "carbon" things are in the same category. People are far from CO2 neutral, but this still makes more sense than cutting down trees to put up solar panels.

But if it's supposed to be real, then I think it's just silly. Locally a company tried something as seemingly straightforward as a garbage incinerator that was energy (not CO2) neutral, and quickly discovered that it was an environmental disaster. Way too many chemicals, particulates, and metals being discharged, unless they did a lot of extra heating and made it a giant energy sink.

It has a chance, until you think about it and understand how much aviation fuel is consumed in one day. Then you realize that oil will be around for a long time or we’ll be walking.

There's a lot of work being done in this area or similar.

For example, feed crops are being used to generate ethanol, then the remaining material with some of the sugars removed goes into livestock feed. The removal of the sugar for ethanol has the side benefit of reducing cows' methane emissions.
https://www.epure.org/wp-content/up...an-renewable-ethanol-Key-figures-2020-web.pdf

That ethanol can then be used as a feed stock for sustainable jet fuel and synthetic gasoline, which has the potential to get us to a true net-zero transportation fleet (unlike EVs, for which the math just doesn't work without a tremendous planet-wide investment in nuclear power generation).

The OP reference is interesting, and it's just another cra@ppy feedstock for net-zero fuels.

Last edited:
Are the adding the agent to flush your cylinders after flying?

This idea is ripe for mass production, but is #2 behind algae biomass for energy production per acre.

I always thought Sheetz was a strange gas station brand name. Maybe they were visionaries with Avgas expansion plans.

This thread is too similar to this one where I exhausted my poop puns. I don't want to waste your time on repeats.

Last edited:
This thread is too similar to this one where I exhausted my poop puns. I don't want to waste your time on repeats.
Poop puns are always appropriate, whether or not they’re repeats…poop humor is the highest form of humor.

My middle daughter disagrees, but she will admit they’re a solid #2.

The total sewage supply of the United Kingdom would meet 5% of the country’s total aviation fuel demand.
That's a bit of a scale-up problem. The challenge isn't turning one carbon form to another... we have legions of processes to do that. The issue is that it takes energy to drive such reactions... and that energy generally liberates CO2. Kind of sounds like corporate click bait.

Paul

Back