Walmart drones are here.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Just drove passed this Walmart parking lot in flower mound Texas.

There were six or seven of them just coming and going at all times. It was very interesting to say the least.

I think very soon these things are going to be buzzing all over the sky.

20240317_162813.jpg

Rather uplifting wouldn't you say ...

I dunno about the yutes of today, but....

When I was a kid it wouldn't have been long before somebody ordered a delivery to a vacant lot or a neighbor's yard and then tossed a blanket over the drone when it arrived, just for kicks. Of course, I did hang out with a rather interesting gang.

When I was a kid it wouldn't have been long before somebody ordered a delivery to a vacant lot or a neighbor's yard and then tossed a blanket over the drone when it arrived, just for kicks. Of course, I did hang out with a rather interesting gang.
That's probably one of the reasons it looks like it's got about a 10-15' lead between the drone and the payload--reduces the chances of being molested by folks on the ground.

Soon enough we will have drones flying overhead blaring ads at us like banner pullers but 10x worst.

I wonder what would happen if you pointed a GPS jammer at it.

Just buy a surplus AN/ALQ-99 jammer pod and have some fun :D
Would be a nice upgrade for the Comanche.

How many rotors on that drone in the OP? Is it 12 horizontal ones for lift, plussome forward-facing props for propulsion?

Does Walmart also sell drones?
yes, I saw them in my local Walmart a couple months ago for $99. Walmart was even responsible enough to post a sign letting you know FAA registration was required

Just drove passed this Walmart parking lot in flower mound Texas.

There were six or seven of them just coming and going at all times. It was very interesting to say the least.

I think very soon these things are going to be buzzing all over the sky.

I'm working on a new DC design in the DFW metro area. During a recent design review, someone from senior leadership asked "Hypothetically, if we were to do drone delivery from here, where would we land them and do the loading, etc.?" So the physical layout folks are now looking at earmarking space somewhere for a drone landing pad. It's coming...

How was the noise?

I can’t wait until this comes. The sooner it comes the sooner they’ll figure out it’s a bad idea.

You're not wrong, but it really ticks me off. With the proliferation of multi-rotors, Regulations and rules and all manner of distasteful things get shoved down the throats of innocent hobbyists flying their planes and helis despite a total lack of any connection to multi-rotor drones.

Bryan, did you get your drone order yet?

It'd be awfully tempting to duct tape that drop line to a barbell weight. Or a car.

I can’t wait until this comes. The sooner it comes the sooner they’ll figure out it’s a bad idea.
Why is it a bad idea? This can replace limited-area delivery drivers for all manner of products.

The thing about technology is that it never quite works the way you want it to. Also the never-ending software and hardware issues create a continuous significant effort to manage. Add to this security, vandalism, on-going personnel training, hardware maintenance, and hardware failures, and I don't see this being a long term solution for a company like Walmart. I think the overall logistics will eventually result in an end to this idea.

Some areas where this can be effective is in the medical field and a few others that are part of a closed loop, repeatable system.

They may resolve the current issues at some point in the future, but the industry isn't there yet.

Back