Waiting to Start Training for 5 Years

James, that actually sounds like an extremely good idea. I suppose the sport pilot license is cheaper to obtain than the private?

MadseasoN, I appreciate the suggestion. That is my backup plan, I am just trying to obtain my license before I graduate, since I've been waiting so long. I would rather get a good job and get my license in 5 years, rather than get it now and live with a bad job for the rest of my life.

cut the unnecesary college classes, waste of time and effort. Even if you get credit for them whenever you get to college you will want to retake those credits. APs are not close to the college level they claim to be. Do good in school and use your spare time for flight training. It is always better to be well rounded rather than a generic book worm. Remember pretty much anyone can score 5 on those exams, but not a lot of people get to pilot an aircraft at your age.

5 years may seem like a lot, but it isn't.

40 or 50 years of a crappy job is a long time.

Keep this in perspective.

5 years is between 10 and 100% of your probable flying career depending on how long you keep putting off your training and how well you prioritize your life around aviation.

James, that actually sounds like an extremely good idea. I suppose the sport pilot license is cheaper to obtain than the private?

MadseasoN, I appreciate the suggestion. That is my backup plan, I am just trying to obtain my license before I graduate, since I've been waiting so long. I would rather get a good job and get my license in 5 years, rather than get it now and live with a bad job for the rest of my life.

If you just want the license for fun and not for a career (which I thought was your original plan) then don't worry about rushing it. Find a pilot friend and fly with them. :dunno:

cut the unnecesary college classes, waste of time and effort. Even if you get credit for them whenever you get to college you will want to retake those credits. APs are not close to the college level they claim to be. Do good in school and use your spare time for flight training. It is always better to be well rounded rather than a generic book worm. Remember pretty much anyone can score 5 on those exams, but not a lot of people get to pilot an aircraft at your age.

Not only is this completely false, if anybody else has advice like this, don't bother posting.

MAKG1, that may have been the best simplest advice I have seen yet.

Not only is this completely false, if anybody else has advice like this, don't bother posting.

I personally disagree with the suggestion that you not take the harder classes, but frankly you came here asking for advice. Perhaps you should at least consider what was said rather than declare it to be false.

It was my experience that AP classes (at an excellent school) were not really representative of college (and bear in mind that I went to GT, the school you are aiming for). That's not to say college was completely off the wall harder, but it was definitely more of a sink-or-swim environment. Fall behind in your AP classes in high school and your teachers will go out of their way (hopefully) to help you and figure out what's wrong. Fall behind at Tech and your professors will have no problem failing the nameless student in a lecture hall of 150. I'm sure you also know this, but GT is fairly strict about which AP classes they will give you credit for, and which they won't (my 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam didn't get me out of Calc II, for example).

That said, the other half of the post you refer to was perfectly good advice -- that you not focus entirely on being a bookworm who is book smart and try to broaden your horizons. Flying is a perfect way to do that. I think the suggestion was not to abandon flying simply out of a desire to be a straight-A student. Live with a few B's and a C but get out and do something different from your peers... something fun that also stimulates your brain and brings you into contact with a variety of people (like flying) is a great way to do that.

Last edited:
Just a comment on the flight simulator before I continue, I may have forgotten to mention I have not used the simulator since freshman year. So I haven't actually 'flown' on MSFS in over two years. I really don't appreciate the criticism for things like "Oh you have time for a simulator but not a job?" Do you really think I would sit on a computer game for hours a day if I could easily just get a job and pay for real training instead? 5 years is a really long time, only the first 3 were spent on a flight simulator, BEFORE I could legally apply for a job. Once I was old enough to actually get one, I was more concerned about getting into a good high school and getting good grades, since that's what every friggin' adult tells you. Yes, I do wish I could go to an easier high school and have a normal life, with time for a job and a social life. But I can't. So please don't suggest doing so. And MSFS as a training tool is actually pretty useful, but I won't get into the technicalities of that. Moving on.

The only problem with getting a job at an airport is, around my area there are only larger general aviation airports, where rules are strictly enforced. I actually went around the local airport this summer and offered to wash airplanes, and was rejected by every person I asked. I have also personally called every business on the airport to ask if they are hiring, to no avail.

The nearest glider port to me is on the other side of the state, so that is out of the question. I live on the eastern coast of South Florida, where gliders are almost unheard of. So just the money to drive to a gliderport for a lesson would cost almost as much as just flying a powered aircraft near my home.

I will keep looking around for a part time job on saturdays. Hopefully somebody around here is willing to hire somebody for only one day a week.

MAKG, that is exactly what I meant by "there is no flight training around for miles."

Yes, being at a challenging high school is tough, but I know it will pay off in the end. I am already basically enrolled in college, so once I actually get there, it will be a lot easier than most of the people that have not experienced it yet. Plus I'll already have taken most of the credits that freshman take. So dropping out of high school is out of the question.

If I did not address your response, it is due to me not having any follow up questions. I do appreciate each and every response, so thank you.

Hmmm..

I grew up in South Florida. went to Miami Shores Elem, moved to Coral Gables and graduated from there in 74.. I had a paper route when I was 11, delivering the Miami News in the afternoon and the Miami Herald on the weekends. Saved my money and bought my first vehicle when I was in high school. If you REALLY want something. you can do it..:yesnod:.

ps....There is a glider operation down in Homestead...

Good luck with your dreams.:idea:

So let me see if I follow:

• This individual is a good student in a good school
  • He saved $3,000 already to apply to flight school, and doesn't even have a real job (only could legally work last year)
  • He is applying to a great university
  • He came here as another data point in his extended research oh how to become a pilot at 17-18 years of age.

If this is how you all treat an exceptional young adult, how do you all treat normal ones? Just club them as you walk by?

So let me see if I follow:

• This individual is a good student in a good school
  • He saved $3,000 already to apply to flight school, and doesn't even have a real job (only could legally work last year)
  • He is applying to a great university
  • He came here as another data point in his extended research oh how to become a pilot at 17-18 years of age.

If this is how you all treat an exceptional young adult, how do you all treat normal ones? Just club them as you walk by?

And then stomps their feet and disagrees with the advice given.

It's worth what you paid for it.

Spend the $3000 towards a SP cert (but make sure you do it with a CFI) if you have enough cash get the SP license, if not you already have most of the requirements for a Private Pilot Certificate.

FWIW I also dropped out of high school and finished through an online program. Noone ever asks what high school you graduated from, all that matters are your SAT and ACT scores.

It's going to cost you more in the long run if you start training then run out of money or if you are paying as you go and can only afford to fly once or twice a month. I don't know anything about the flying club mentioned, but it may be a cheaper route to learning to fly. In that case, it might be better to be patient (i know that's hard) and get a job to save up money. Sounds like you'll be ahead of your peers when you enroll so you may have the free time to focus on flying while still doing well in classes. Since you have a good idea of where you're going, you can compare your options for now against your options once you're in college. Decide if waiting til college is worth it and if it's something you're willing to do. The latter is a question you have to answer yourself and the answer to that type of question isn't always based on logic.

Sport pilot is likely to be cheaper since it is less hours (minimum 30 vs minimum 35 or 40) and less stuff to learn. But your options on training location and what you can fly with the rating are far more limited. You might end up with a pilot certification but few planes in your area that you can fly (or maybe none once you go to college). That's something worth investigating before you go the sport pilot route. Unless you're planning to fly with the sport rating before you upgrade to private, I'm skeptical of the value of getting it.

As for jobs, if you don't have any better options, definitely call the airports again when you've got time for a job. It doesn't hurt if people there know you somehow.

If there are any local aviation type groups (e.g EAA) in your area, see if you can show up to their meetings or events. It usually doesn't take too much time and you may find some unexpected opportunities arise. Even if you don't, you'll at least meet some other aviation enthusiasts.

While I disagree with most of this, it is wise to check on the AP credit bit. I took the classes but not the exams because my school wouldn't accept them. As I recall, the details of that policy depended on the major.

I have done a lot of research on this, and realize there are basically 3 ways to fund flight training - the military, scholarships, and a job. Since getting a job is out of the question as of right now, and joining the military is something I definitely do not want to do, I am left with relying on scholarships to fund my training.

Just curious, what are your reasons for not wanting to join the military? You can get first rate training and options you may not realize. If funding is an issue that is one path you will actually turn a profit on. You will have an obligation of a few years, but the training is undeniably universal to any path you would choose, even GA for fun.

I believe this is my first post here, so I would like to say hello. :)

I am in a kinda sticky situation, and I would like to know what you guys think I should do. I first became interested in flying back in '07, when I downloaded MS Flight simulator as a kid, and was hooked. Since then I have flown over 3000 hours on the simulator. I have wanted to get my license since I was 12, when my uncle first took me for an intro flight. However, I have a problem.

I am currently 16, and a junior at one of the hardest high schools in America. I am enrolled in 6 college level classes - Physics is my only 'normal' high school class. Since I spend so much time studying, I don't have any time to get a job. Which leaves me without any source of income to actually start training. I have done a lot of research on this, and realize there are basically 3 ways to fund flight training - the military, scholarships, and a job. Since getting a job is out of the question as of right now, and joining the military is something I definitely do not want to do, I am left with relying on scholarships to fund my training. Even then, a majority of flight training scholarships are for students who have already started training. It's hard for me to do so. For the ones that are for non-students (i.e. the Leroy W Homer Jr. Scholarship I will be applying to this October) favor those which are pursuing aviation as a career. I am not, as I am currently pursuing a career in Computer Science.

My idea right now is to get a summer job this summer, and just work as much as possible to fund as much training as I can. I already have $3,000 saved up since I was 12. So my question to all of you is, what would you do if you were me? I feel like if I do start training this summer, I may not have a chance to finish it before funds run out, since I'll have to quit my job when school starts. Senior year should be a little easier for me, so I will have time for flight training. I am not sure if I will have time for a job on top of it. That brings up another issue though - I really want to attend the Georgia Institute of Technology, which is stuck right by Hartsfield-Jackson Intl, and as a result there is no flight training around for miles. If I do complete my training as a high schooler, I don't know how often I will be able to practice in college. So I am kinda in a very sticky situation, and I would like to know what you guys think. I am not trying to come off as impatient, but honestly after 5 years it gets hard not to. It helps to talk about this though, I always enjoy a conversation with aviation enthusiasts.

Realizing I'm jumping in the deep end here with the nature of this thread I wanted to ask what your intentions are, Janikpilot, after you get your pilots license? If you want to make a career out of flying then get started soon. It seems like you want to get you PPL because you enjoy flying. If that's true then take your time and enjoy the journey. One thing I've learned in life is the journey can be equally rewarding as the destination so if you at rushing the journey you'll miss out on some fun.

I applaud you for trying to pay for yourself to take lessons. I've worked since I was 13( now in my late 20's) and paying for your own lessons will make the journey even better.

Last edited:
Realizing I'm jumping in tot he deep end here with the nature of this thread I wanted to ask what your intentions are, Janikpilot, after you get your pilots license? If you want to make a career out of flying then get started soon. It seems like you want to get you PPL because you enjoy flying. If that's true then take your time and enjoy the journey. One thing I've learned in life is te journey can be equally rewarding as the destination so if you at rushing the journey you'll miss out on some fun.

:yeahthat: Great advice.

Unless the AP classes and AP exams have changed since I went to school -mumble- years ago, I have to throw the flag on this. Each college class costs real money. If you do well on the AP exams you can skip the applicable intro classes, decreasing your college costs and also avoiding being bored.

Even better is when the college has professors reviewing AP exams. At WPI, a professor reviewed my AP math exam and advised me to skip MA 1010 and MA 1020. He would have been ok with me also skipping MA 1030, but upon reviewing the text book with him, I decided there was some stuff I didn't have in my high school AP math class.

And then stomps their feet and disagrees with the advice given.

It's worth what you paid for it.

Spend the $3000 towards a SP cert (but make sure you do it with a CFI) if you have enough cash get the SP license, if not you already have most of the requirements for a Private Pilot Certificate.

FWIW I also dropped out of high school and finished through an online program. Noone ever asks what high school you graduated from, all that matters are your SAT and ACT scores.

Okay, hold on a second. Let us back up the immaturity train here for a second and hear me out.

The 'advice' to a) drop out of high school, b) drop the higher level classes, and c) get a job, doesn't help me much. I have been working the past three years of my life to get to those higher classes, and hearing somebody come up and say I should just drop them is going to hurt a little. For one, it hurts because it basically tells me that "hey, you know how you have been working so hard in school like every adult told you to when you were a kid? Yeah, you need to stop doing so much of that, and it's not even worth it." Plus, those higher level classes are required by my high school in order to graduate. I do not have the option to drop them. This is why I may have had a somewhat incendiary response to the post by cirrusmx. I do appreciate everybody here taking time from their day to help me out. I am not trying to come off as immature or childish, especially when I plan on becoming an involved member of this forum, I don't plan on ruining my reputation on day one. I just would prefer it if people could refrain from offering for me to drop classes, since that is not an option for me. Thank you. Now, I would like to maintain a friendly attitude here.

Threefingeredjack, my decision to not join the military is because (and I know you guys have been wondering this, I apologize for not answer this sooner) I am not trying to pursue a career in aviation. Would I absolutely love being a fighter pilot in the air force, or a pilot at all as a career? Yes. However, I am pursuing a career in Computer Science instead. Computer programming comes naturally to me, and I plan on changing the world with that knowledge. I was born smart, so I want to do as best as I can to use it to help others. Being in the Air Force as a pilot would mean I can basically only help myself and contribute towards a war. That's not my plan of action in life. Thank you for the suggestion however.

jspilot and \__[Ô]__/ (is that the proper way to address you? :rolleyes: ), wonderful advice. Much appreciated.

No problem. Truth is, flying is not going anywhere and if your priorities are school, which is probably where they should be considering you are a junior- then you likely don't have the time to devote to training anyway. Being a pilot in real life is much more serious than on the flight sim- which I still enjoy and was an inspiration to me too. Once you take control of a plane for real there is no reset button and you better not make a big mistake.

Last edited:
I think what gets lost in the replies is that there's multiple means toward the ends when it comes to aviation, but only one that counts... get up in an aircraft, however you can.

Every young person hooked on aviation probably plays with video games and flight sims these days. No big deal.

The individual stories of how folks did it here all have a common theme. A lot of hard work and determination. Aviation is expensive.

Some go the military service route to cover expenses, others have a sugar daddy, and still others work three jobs, go to school at the same time, and still find time to fly.

Those telling you the tough news are doing you a favor. Those worried about your feelings, aren't. No one means you any malice.

Fuel prices at over $5/gallon and wet (with fuel) rental rates over $100/hr in some places don't care about anyone's feelings or dreams.

That said, I don't know any pilots who wouldn't give you the shirt off their back to help you out if you're doing everything you can to "make it" in this crazy hobby/business.

Figure out your goals and go after them with a plan. The plan will be continuously adjusted as life changes.

Folks are just telling you how they got there. You're responsible for your own Aviation journey.

However, I am pursuing a career in Computer Science instead. Computer programming comes naturally to me, and I plan on changing the world with that knowledge. I was born smart, so I want to do as best as I can to use it to help others.

Umm... ok.

Just an FYI. I was tested at a 165 IQ in high school, and also have a Computer Science degree. Due to my ability to impress in college, I landed a nice job at the Air Force Research Laboratory in Albuquerque New Mexico.

That's when I realized I was nothing special. Of the 20 people I worked with, 15 of them had PHD's in Computer Science from MIT, and made me look like a fool.

None of them changed the world either. Each one of them had "heros" in the field, and those "heros" didn't change the world either.

If it comes natural to you (like it did me), and you enjoy it (like I do), then by all means join us in an amazing field.

But if your picking it over a career in aviation because you think your going to change the world, I predict some disappointment in your future.

Do what you love, and try and do it as best you can. If in the end you change the world, great. But no one who has, ever thought they would.

Back to dropping out of school. I suggested a year off before college to score ratings. On the other hand if you are so smart dropping out can be clever. Is there a ged waiting period in FL? If not you take the test and go to.community college at 16, pull off two years then go to sleepaway college as an 18 yr old junior. Heck if you are really smart Harvard doesnt require a HS diploma. :idea:
you gotta think past the standard path guidance counselors put before you.

I'm surprised this kid can see the keyboard let alone the monitor with his nose so high in the air.

Nicely done, and a fine display of camaraderie by PBristolJr. Now we can go back to blaming the economy for the lack of new pilots in our ranks, and not the rank stench of our attitude.

At my home drone, the local Pilot's Association sets only one bar for membership: You must have a genuine interest in aviation. We recognize that being a Pilot is a frame of mind, a dream, a burning desire shared by too few citizens. We don't shut people out because of circumstance, economics or age.

If janikpilot is smart and he knows it, then he's less likely to waste it.

Mafoo, I chose computer science because it comes naturally to me, and I enjoy it.

And again, I'm not going to drop out of school.

As far as PBristolJr's comment, was that really necessary?

Honestly, if this is what the aviation community here is like, I'm not so sure I want to join it. I thank all of you for replying, once again.

Mafoo, I chose computer science because it comes naturally to me, and I enjoy it.

And again, I'm not going to drop out of school.

As far as PBristolJr's comment, was that really necessary?

Honestly, if this is what the aviation community here is like, I'm not so sure I want to join it. I thank all of you for replying, once again.

A little "ribbing" is our way of welcoming a newbie, and our way of staying ahead of the old guys too. If you are easily dissuaded from your goals you are in for a lot of disappointment in life.

Set your goals high and have at it.

Don't take the peanut gallery too seriously. ;)

Computer programming is extremely boring and full of people who test well (it seems every damn one of them has a 169 iq), took all honors classes, dropped out of college at least one because who needs it, and because of all this, it takes them years to figure out that they are NOT better than everyone else in their field (look around - everyone I work with is also top of their game!) and they end up working for some jock who has no idea what they do for a living, treats them badly, and tells them that they are replaceable BECAUSE they don't understand how code works.

Finally, once you figure all this out, you take up flying as a hobby :p

Take it from me, sir. I also tested at a 169 iq, took honors class two years ahead and ran out of classes to take as a sophomore, was a national merit scholar, and ended up top of some rather small fields. That's the rub. It is easy to be the smartest kid in your private high school. The world is full of those, and it is nothing special. You have to distinguish yourself in other ways to succeed.

I mean this all sincerely and in a heartfelt manner, not disparaging at all. I read your posts and look in a mirror.

Well, you did just come in here and say you don't want to be a pilot because you want to make a difference in the world, so you fit right in ;).

The closest thing I have done to making a difference, is helped develop a collection of tools that the military uses to remove road side bombs (IEDs). It was rewarding, and I feel the project made a difference. However when you're one of 100 people on the project, it's hard to feel like you're responsable for saving peoples lives. I know I added value, and the project as a whole is better because I was on it, but I don't think in the end it saves more lives because I contributed.

However if I was a rescue pilot, a firefighting pilot, a pilot in the military, an angel wings pilot, or probably another half dozen things I have yet to think about, I would feel I am making a bigger impact on peoples lives.

Hell, the first dog's life I save when I do a paws rescue mission, I will probably feel like I made more a difference then my entire career.

And I have had a fantastic career.

P.S. I also did all this with Dyslexia, so please disregard any spelling errors you might see.

Wow you guys are throwing around IQ like teenage boys throwing around the size of their !$#@^ in the locker room before gym class.

Wow you guys are throwing around IQ like teenage boys throwing around the size of their !$#@^ in the locker room before gym class.

We are throwing it around, to convey to this young man that it means nothing.

Well, I'm not going to tell you to drop out of high school (I graduated salutatorian:wink2:). I did drop out of college though (DeVry) after getting a job offer with a major company, that was too good to turn down!

That job turned into a rewarding career in the electrical field (26 years with the company and counting).

Military wasn't an option for me and I only briefly considered flying as a career. So I fly for fun only.

What I will advise you against, is doing what I did at age 21. I fell in love, got married and had three children:hairraise:. Although I had a decent income, I couldn't afford to take flight lessons until I was 33. However, flying was something I've wanted to do from birth! So I was determined to eventually make it happen.

I too started off with MSFS (in 1983 on my Commodore-64) and have used and enjoyed every version since.
X-Plane also.

I'm not sure if I have 3000 hours though:D, but it sure taught me a hell of a lot about aviation, long before I set foot in the real thing. The biggest eye opener for me was dealing with real turbulence and the challenge of real landings!

So best of luck to you, and since your goal is to fly for fun, be patient. You WILL make it happen. Hopefully sooner than I did:rofl:

Last edited:
Well, I take that back. It's not meaningless. I was the smartest kid in my high school. Then in the top 10% at college.

What this did for me, was allow me to land an incredible job, where I became the dumbest man in the lab. I am grateful for the career I have had, and most of that is because I was smart, but to have the arrogance at 16 that your going to change the world, is something that should not go unchecked.

Your probably a great kid, and I see a successful future for you, but dial down the arrogance a little bit. Like ChrisK has stated, many of us have been right where you are.

Iq was discredited as a meaningful measure 15 years ago. Above average it just means you are good at those sort of tests. That was kinda my point.

Oh and janikpilot, you're on a pilot forum. It's not like any of us are average, or we would not be here :)

I will play the "other " side of intelligence.:(.

I am dumber then a box of rocks, graduated 1345 out of 1349 in my high school class. I actually don't know my IQ score as it appears no one wanted to share that.:dunno:..

I do know that I have plenty of common sense, work harder then a mule and am so mission driven that I won't stop till any job is completely done. I have lived a great life, saved money at every turn without denying myself of the fun things to do. I have been flying for 30 years and wish it were alot more then that.:rolleyes:

Life is short......... Live it to the fullest..:yesnod:...

The only thing that really scares me is I don't want to be laying on my deathbed saying " coulda, woulda, shoulda..:eek:.

Jus saying......

Ben.

NO! THIS IS NOT WHAT PILOTS ARE LIKE. THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS BOARD IS LIKE!

I cannot believe what is happening in this thread. Grow the **** up and get off this kid's back. What the hell?

What's wrong with getting good grades? What's wrong with going into Computer Science? What's wrong with using what you were born with to the best of your ability? What's wrong with wanting to change the world? What's wrong with you people? :mad2:

I notice that the really horrible posts are from newcomers to this board. You should, too. The old salts are giving good advice. The rude sycophants will soon tire of bullying newcomers and go somewhere else where their antics are more appreciated. Maybe they should go out in the street and throw eggs at passing cars.

YMMV

I do know that I have plenty of common sense, work harder then a mule and am so mission driven that I won't stop till any job is completely done.

That beats intelligence every time. This kid seems to have both, being he has saved his money, posted here, and is doing everything he can to become a pilot.

I have nothing against him, and he seems like a great kid. Just trying to set his expectations on life.

It's filled with amazing people. I expect him to be one of them.

NO! THIS IS NOT WHAT PILOTS ARE LIKE. THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS BOARD IS LIKE!

I cannot believe what is happening in this thread. Grow the **** up and get off this kid's back. What the hell?

What's wrong with getting good grades? What's wrong with going into Computer Science? What's wrong with using what you were born with to the best of your ability? What's wrong with wanting to change the world? What's wrong with you people? :mad2:

I notice that the really horrible posts are from newcomers to this board. You should, too. The old salts are giving good advice. The rude sycophants will soon tire of bullying newcomers and go somewhere else where their antics are more appreciated. Maybe they should go out in the street and throw eggs at passing cars.

YMMV

Which one am I? I was the first to defend him, and I have continued to defend him. I think his only flaw I have seen, is an over abundance of arrogance.

No one asked you to point out any flaws.

In the years I was in college, in the CS department, I saw two kinds of smart people enter.

Those that thought they were the next great thing, and those that realized they are now at a higher level, and need to work even harder to stand out.

The latter group of kids always did better, and it would have been a service to the kids in the first group, if they had someone help them recognize reality before they got there.

My comments are purely constructive, with the goal of making him a better student.

I will stop trying to help now.

Back