Waiting to Start Training for 5 Years

What's wrong with getting good grades? What's wrong with going into Computer Science? What's wrong with using what you were born with to the best of your ability? What's wrong with wanting to change the world? What's wrong with you people? :mad2:

Nothing's wrong with that. But if flying is REALLY what he wants to do then he may have to sacrifice something to get there. That's all folks are saying -- not to focus so much on school that you don't get to do what you really enjoy. It seemed to me like he didn't want to hear that and got extremely defensive rather than simply explaining that his real priority was education. Now I was a kid not too long ago too and it's understandable. But it's still going to rub folks the wrong way. I don't think anyone meant to harm him but just to humble him a bit.

I think flying is great. I'm just bitter about 20 years in computer science ;)

You're right. I shouldn't be discouraging people from that career. It pays well and can be quite rewarding. I have seen a lot of promising young folks dash themselves on the rocks because it took them an extra long amount of time to learn work with people. In computer science today, it is more about being able to communicate effectively with non-technical folks than it is about slinging bits, and more about how personable you are than about how smart you are.

I'm an old, wise, seasoned hand in that field, and am willing to take these discussions to another thread or offline.

Last edited:
You are doing the right things now. Don't get impatient with how fast things are moving for you. You have plenty of time to get into flying. I would recommend that you stay in school work when you can and take some lessons here and there when you have the money and the time. If you want to do great things and be the best, go for it. I think thats a great attitude to have.

NO! THIS IS NOT WHAT PILOTS ARE LIKE. THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS BOARD IS LIKE!

I cannot believe what is happening in this thread. Grow the **** up and get off this kid's back. What the hell?

I hate to say it, we're almost all pilots, and it is what anonymous pilots are like. In person is different.

Having said that, this thread really has gone far off the rails.

I'll give a bit of free career advice. Take it for what it's worth. I'm a software and systems engineer for a NASA project, with a Ph.D. in astrophysics. I do physical modeling, simulation and data acquisition design. I have a background in scientific visualization and massively parallel computation.

Computer programming (coding) can be done by trained monkeys. It is not interesting, and it's a serious dead end. You read a specification that sounds like it was written by a remote systems engineer on crack (or at least Red Bull -- it may have indeed been that way). Much of it is done in paradises like Bangalore. Software engineering is even more boring. It's basically writing documents that read like
The software shall frobnicate within 20 ms of receiving a signal from the controller
What can be interesting is modeling, particularly if you're good at math. Like writing that flight sim. Coding is part of that, but it's not the point.

Majoring in computer science is not a good idea. By the time you finish an advanced degree, the field will not resemble what it was when you started. When I rejected it as a major, it consisted largely of algorithms, data structures, and numerical analysis. These days, numerical analysis isn't even taught as part of the curriculum. There are several better majors -- math (especially applied math), physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, etc. Aerospace engineering if you really like airplanes (hint hint).

It's obvious you intend flying to be a hobby. This is great if you can make it work, but it cannot be your priority if you intend to "change the world" unless that's how you intend to change it.

Last edited:
First, welcome to PoA. While the half-life of threads seems to be low these days, this is a genuinely excellent aviation forum.

As is our tradition, here is some unsolicited advice, worth exactly what you paid for it. I am not a lawyer, some restrictions apply, void where prohibited, your mileage may vary. I am, however, a CS/math person somewhat your senior.

* Be aware that computer science at a university level is likely to be a very different experience than what you've been exposed to thus far. A lesson you'll learn as a pilot is to always have an out; keep that in mind with undergrad. That is, study CS if you like, but study something else, too. If you have a scientific bent, consider biology, medicine, chemistry, physics, EE. If not, consider business or finance or law. Unless you want to be a CS professor, you will need applications in order to monetize a CS degree. At a certain point, knowing how to solve problems becomes secondary to knowing which problems need solving.

* Do beware of the "big fish in a small pond" phenomenon that someone else alluded to. Once at university, all of the best and brightest will be your peers, the bell curve moves to the right, and things that may have come easily until now will become hard. You've spent up until now learning what you know. You'll spend the next little while learning how much you don't know, and there will be a lot of it.

* I am also of a certain age to have spent a decent amount of time with home flight simulators both in childhood and adult life. I didn't get my ticket until my mid 30s. My experience was that the sim bred a false sense of confidence and was counterproductive for primary training.

Regarding training, if you've got the bug, you'll make it happen. The rest is just implementation details.

edit: also, what MAKG said.

Last edited:
Yah GeorgeC sold it as far as I'm concerned. You're so much nicer than I am =)

I hate to say it, we're almost all pilots, and it is what anonymous pilots are like. In person is different.

Having said that, this thread really has gone far off the rails.

I'll give a bit of free career advice. Take it for what it's worth. I'm a software and systems engineer for a NASA project, with a Ph.D. in astrophysics. I do physical modeling, simulation and data acquisition design. I have a background in scientific visualization and massively parallel computation.

Computer programming (coding) can be done by trained monkeys. It is not interesting, and it's a serious dead end. You read a specification that sounds like it was written by a remote systems engineer on crack (or at least Red Bull -- it may have indeed been that way). Much of it is done in paradises like Bangalore. Software engineering is even more boring. It's basically writing documents that read like
What can be interesting is modeling, particularly if you're good at math. Like writing that flight sim. Coding is part of that, but it's not the point.

Majoring in computer science is not a good idea. By the time you finish an advanced degree, the field will not resemble what it was when you started. When I rejected it as a major, it consisted largely of algorithms, data structures, and numerical analysis. These days, numerical analysis isn't even taught as part of the curriculum. There are several better majors -- math (especially applied math), physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, etc. Aerospace engineering if you really like airplanes (hint hint).

It's obvious you intend flying to be a hobby. This is great if you can make it work, but it cannot be your priority if you intend to "change the world" unless that's how you intend to change it.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here.

If you want to utilize computers to solve a non-computer problem, don't major in CS. You for example, want to do the things astrophysicists do, so you rightfully didn't get a CS degree.

However as you have stated, the computer world is ever changing, and who do you think is changing it? There are thousands of people in the world, who's goal in life is to advance the industry of computing. To give you better compilers, better drivers, better operating systems, better file systems, and so forth. For the people who wish to make that there career, CS is the right field of study.

Pilots in person are worse. Wait til the kid walks into an FBO and is scorned by a bunch of limp noodle old pilots sitting around doing nothing. College is broken, overpriced mostly worthless. Books are written about that, you can read them yourself or look around or you could pretend it is 1954. All of the advice he has been given so far is valid, some of it differs from what clueless guidance counselors suggest, but what do they know? If they knew something they wouldn't be guidance counselors.
Here is the money question: Is anyone happy that they waited as long as they did to start training? I'm guessing crickets on that one. Remember the sudden death option lurks for all of us, plenty of people get hit by buses just before they were about to...

I cannot believe what is happening in this thread. Grow the **** up and get off this kid's back. What the hell?

What's wrong with getting good grades? What's wrong with going into Computer Science? What's wrong with using what you were born with to the best of your ability? What's wrong with wanting to change the world? What's wrong with you people? :mad2:

I notice that the really horrible posts are from newcomers to this board. You should, too. The old salts are giving good advice. The rude sycophants will soon tire of bullying newcomers and go somewhere else where their antics are more appreciated. Maybe they should go out in the street and throw eggs at passing cars.

YMMV

A 23 year old friend of mine collapsed yesterday while he was playing basketball. Once the medics got there, was nothing they could do. He was working on his Commercial. They think it was an aneurysm or enlarge heart.

Live every day like its your last, and tell people you love them often.

I would start training ASAP.

Here is the money question: Is anyone happy that they waited as long as they did to start training? I'm guessing crickets on that one. Remember the sudden death option lurks for all of us, plenty of people get hit by buses just before they were about to...

I am. I had a golden opportunity to learn when I was in college, with a family member offering a plane and gas if I would just provide the instructor. I had the passion, but was short on money and time during college. So I passed on it.

Fast forward 6 or 7 years. No debt, growing career, building savings, single. I went for it then and have enjoyed it ever since. Yes, I could have learned earlier, but it would have been a drain on time and money then and in the years between. I'm glad I got to a point where I could do it without debt and had the money to continue flying regularly.

And yes, being single for those years helped. Had I gotten married earlier, I'm not sure if flying would have ever happened. Both of my grandfathers learned to fly. One gave it up when he had a family to feed. Flying is great, but it's not everything.

Just one data point.

Young people know everything,
Old people believe everything, and
Middle aged people suspect everything.

THE KEY IS TO FOCUS ON THE VALUE.

If this kid is as smart as we think he is, he'll read through this thread several times and take heed of the good advice given. I hope he won't let thin skin beat him out of some very good advice. Remember, no one in this thread even knows you, which means that they should be incapable of offending you. If the perceived harsh language is going to keep you from gaining the knowledge needed to reach your goal, you've still got some growing to do and it's not intellectual.

Read this thread again and again, find the value in it and take heed.

Janikpilot: Forget what I said earlier. I was a bad pilot. :sad: I will never force reality on anyone again. :no::no: Butterflies and unicorns will bring you a golden pilot's license atop an ice cream sundae with sprinkles. :yesnod:

Janikpilot: Forget what I said earlier. I was a bad pilot. :sad: I will never force reality on anyone again. :no::no: Butterflies and unicorns will bring you a golden pilot's license atop an ice cream sundae with sprinkles. :yesnod:

Psssshhhh, only 15,000 hours. It's not like you know anything :D

/sarcasm

Pilots in person are worse. Wait til the kid walks into an FBO and is scorned by a bunch of limp noodle old pilots sitting around doing nothing. College is broken, overpriced mostly worthless. Books are written about that, you can read them yourself or look around or you could pretend it is 1954. All of the advice he has been given so far is valid, some of it differs from what clueless guidance counselors suggest, but what do they know? If they knew something they wouldn't be guidance counselors.

Wow now most of this is pure garbage. Contrary to what you may believe some guidance counselors actually want to help young people and have more purpose in life then just making money off of others. As for college being broken? Well it's not the guarantee it once was but is still a good tool for many to achieve what they want in life. College sure got me where I want to be rich or poor.
Next we'll hear how you guys tell your kids that dropping out of high school is the key to success because you know one guy on POA who is everything you hoped to be and was a dropout. :mad2:

Well I can honestly say I have gained some good advice from this thread, especially with all the different stories of your careers. This has made me start to realize that maybe computer science isn't the field for me. I definitely don't want to be sitting at a desk for the rest of my life.

I apologize for coming off as arrogant when I began. I do not believe in any way that I am the best out there, or even close to the top. I actually failed my freshman year English class. I understand the value of hard work, I've had to pull as many As as possible to get my GPA to be just the average 3.6 at my school.

What do you guys think of going to an aviation college (I live right by Embry-riddle) and enrolling in AF ROTC? I have been contemplating that recently, so I would like to know your thoughts. Like I said, flying as a career would be a dream for me. I just always pushed it down because I was told I would have a hard time getting a job, and I didn't want to join the military because, honestly, I just don't know enough about it. I'm a little overwhelmed by the process, but I hope you can shed some light for me.

Once again, thank you for your time here. I appreciate the life lessons and advice. I am actually glad you guys gave me a reality check - I'd rather get that now than in 5 years when I'm waist-deep in college debt in a field I don't want to be in.

I notice that the really horrible posts are from newcomers to this board. You should, too. The old salts are giving good advice. The rude sycophants will soon tire of bullying newcomers and go somewhere else where their antics are more appreciated. Maybe they should go out in the street and throw eggs at passing cars.

YMMV

I concur with your thoughts completely. Most of the crap advice regarding education is part of the reason why our nation is in trouble. We are more wrapped up in what we can get off of others, including the big ole mighty dollar, instead of truly improving our nation and being well rounded individuals. This thread has sage advice for sure. That advice so far is the following:

1. Dropping out of high school is okay because one guy felt it was a waste of time for him.
2. Follow the money and not your passion or dream.
3. I'm old and have 1 million hours of flight under my belt so I'm better then you.
4. College is a waste of time.
5. The kid can't see over his keyboard.
6. I am bitter because computer science didn't work out for me.

Last edited:
Well I can honestly say I have gained some good advice from this thread, especially with all the different stories of your careers. This has made me start to realize that maybe computer science isn't the field for me. I definitely don't want to be sitting at a desk for the rest of my life.

I apologize for coming off as arrogant when I began. I do not believe in any way that I am the best out there, or even close to the top. I actually failed my freshman year English class. I understand the value of hard work, I've had to pull as many As as possible to get my GPA to be just the average 3.6 at my school.

What do you guys think of going to an aviation college (I live right by Embry-riddle) and enrolling in AF ROTC? I have been contemplating that recently, so I would like to know your thoughts. Like I said, flying as a career would be a dream for me. I just always pushed it down because I was told I would have a hard time getting a job, and I didn't want to join the military because, honestly, I just don't know enough about it. I'm a little overwhelmed by the process, but I hope you can shed some light for me.

Once again, thank you for your time here. I appreciate the life lessons and advice. I am actually glad you guys gave me a reality check - I'd rather get that now than in 5 years when I'm waist-deep in college debt in a field I don't want to be in.

If you have lots of dollars, or wants lots of debt, ERAU is the place to go. Also the ratio of boys to girls is 8:1. Alot of the aviation colleges are quite expensive, and the "I have 2 more hours than you so I'm better" culture is prevalent. If you want, send KCCessnaDriver a PM and he could tell you more about ERAU.

HPNPilot1200 went to Purdue, I'll shoot him a message and see if I can get him to peak at this thread and reply. It seems like that is a really good school

http://www.cga.edu/

For what it is worth, this consistently ranks among the best schools in the nation. It is not easy to get in. You will be worked both physically and mentally to your limits, and beyond. If you survive, you can apply for a flight track which will take you another two years. What do you get in return?

1.) Some of the best training on the planet.
2.) The opportunity to fly in weather others hide from.
3.) A chance to make a difference in people's lives in the most direct and basic way possible: You save their life.

I did it for 27 years. Didn't get rich monetarily, but I have memories money can't buy.

http://www.cga.edu/

For what it is worth, this consistently ranks among the best schools in the nation. It is not easy to get in. You will be worked both physically and mentally to your limits, and beyond. If you survive, you can apply for a flight track which will take you another two years. What do you get in return?

1.) Some of the best training on the planet.
2.) The opportunity to fly in weather others hide from.
3.) A chance to make a difference in people's lives in the most direct and basic way possible: You save their life.

I did it for 27 years. Didn't get rich monetarily, but I have memories money can't buy.

I would absolutely love to go there, but I am not active in any sports at my high school. I was told long ago that military academies only accept people who play sports. And even if they don't, I know the physical challenge may be more than I can handle. But thank you.

Anyone who told you it would be hard to make a living flying, was 100% accurate.

It's not the best field to enter if your looking to make a lot of money. However if you love to fly, it's not always about the money.

I would take your $3000, and get either a glider pilots license, or a sport license, and see what you think. If once you get it, you can't imagine doing anything else with your life other then flying, then you know what you should do.

If in the end you find out it's not all that you thought it was, then you can go do something else more enjoyable.

I think 80% of all who start for a PPL don't get it. I suspect a large number of those is due to economics, but I am sure many others are just because once they started, they felt it was not something they wanted to do.

Worth finding out :)

Anyone who told you it would be hard to make a living flying, was 100% accurate.

It's not the best field to enter if your looking to make a lot of money. However if you love to fly, it's not always about the money.

I would take your $3000, and get either a glider pilots license, or a sport license, and see what you think. If once you get it, you can't imagine doing anything else with your life other then flying, then you know what you should do.

If in the end you find out it's not all that you thought it was, then you can go do something else more enjoyable.

I think 80% of all who start for a PPL don't get it. I suspect a large number of those is due to economics, but I am sure many others are just because once they started, they felt it was not something they wanted to do.

Worth finding out :)

I have already been on flights and experienced aviation. I love everything about it, from the planning to the landing. I even chair-fly :rolleyes:

My plan right now is to continue my pursuit to computer science, and if all goes well I'll land a job where I can make enough money to get my PPL while I am still in college. Maybe I'll get my CFI and end up teaching students, since I've always wanted to do that. Or even get my commercial and land a job as a pilot somewhere.

My plan right now is to continue my pursuit to computer science, and if all goes well I'll land a job where I can make enough money to get my PPL while I am still in college. Maybe I'll get my CFI and end up teaching students, since I've always wanted to do that. Or even get my commercial and land a job as a pilot somewhere.
That sounds like a good plan. I was a little older than you when I became interested in getting a private. I saved up about $1,000, which is probably roughly equivalent to the $3,000 you have saved in current dollars, and started taking lessons as a sophomore in college. I took about 10 months to finish but I was able to pay as I went along since I had a part time job and I lived at home. I didn't feel any pressure to rush through my private since I wasn't intending to make it a career. I only came to that decision years later. You also need to remember that after you get your private the spending doesn't stop if you want to enjoy what you have learned.

I'll also add that it's easy to become old and jaded. Any job you have will begin to feel just like a job because that's what it is. You sometimes need to work pretty hard at keeping things fresh and interesting.

Last edited:
I'll also add that it's easy to become old and jaded. Any job you have will begin to feel just like a job because that's what it is. You sometimes need to work pretty hard at keeping things fresh and interesting.

I agree; this is partly why I think I am going to keep aviation as a hobby and recreational activity. Making it my job would be awesome, but every job gets old after a while. I don't want that to happen. I'd rather have flying be something I look forward to on the weekends and holidays, rather than an everyday occurrence.

Just as an FYI:

I am 43, and been a software engineer my entire working life. I love going to work every day. I have turned down management opportunities to continue to do what I do, so I can love my job.

If you find what's right for you, you can love it.

The path you're talking about embarking on, is the path in life I took. Work at something I love, make a good living doing it, and fly for fun.

I agree; this is partly why I think I am going to keep aviation as a hobby and recreational activity. Making it my job would be awesome, but every job gets old after a while. I don't want that to happen. I'd rather have flying be something I look forward to on the weekends and holidays, rather than an everyday occurrence.
You have plenty of time to figure out what road you should take. It's valuable to consider what other people have to say but remember that they are not you. Everyone needs to follow their own path.

If you find what's right for you, you can love it.

I'd take that a step further and say anyone can take almost any job and excel in it, given basic aptitude toward the work.

Life's a lot more about persistence than it is about "finding" the right job. The self-help books would say otherwise these days, though. They're in the business of selling the never-ending search, so that makes sense.

There's more wasted human potential than any other resource in the world.

If you want to fly, go fly. Make it happen. I spent a number of years on the bench thinking it wasn't "fair" to ask my spouse to sacrifice anything for my aviation wants.

Luckily, she's brighter than I am and kept pushing me toward the airport (and an aircraft co-ownership when the opportunity came along).

Never let anyone convince you that you can't do something. Especially yourself. Advice is useful for a general idea of what's going on in the world, and how other people's paths led them to something to want to do, but your path will almost never be exactly the same as theirs.

I have already been on flights and experienced aviation. I love everything about it, from the planning to the landing. I even chair-fly :rolleyes:

Just a little hint, the path goes like this:
  1. Private Pilot
  2. Instrument Rating
  3. Commercial Pilot
  4. Multi engine and Complex Rating
  5. Certified Flight Instructor
  6. Airline Transport Pilot
Your CFI checkride includes complex, and instrument, and commercial skills. ATP is the one for flying for the airlines.
Go ahead, ask what "complex" means. You should have been asking more questions, like what do the letters mean in David White's (and others) signature line?

Last edited:
What do you guys think of going to an aviation college (I live right by Embry-riddle) and enrolling in AF ROTC? I have been contemplating that recently, so I would like to know your thoughts. Like I said, flying as a career would be a dream for me.

If it's what you want to do, you'll find a way.

As for where you live, many people choose universities based on that, but it's extremely limiting.

I'd advise against an aviation major, unless it doesn't require flying. You may find that you can't get a medical, or may suddenly lose it.

I'll give the same advice I give to musicians. Top spots are rare. Lower spots are not so rare, but it's hard to pay the bills. Have an alternative if things don't work out as you wanted.

There are a lot of good careers out there. Keep an eye out.

Just a little hint, the path goes like this:
  1. Private Pilot
  2. Instrument Rating
  3. Commercial Pilot
  4. Multi engine and Complex Rating
  5. Certified Flight Instructor
  6. Airline Transport Pilot
Your CFI checkride includes complex, and instrument, and commercial skills. ATP is the one for flying for the airlines.
Go ahead, ask what "complex" means. You should have been asking more questions, like what do the letters mean in David White's (and others) signature line?

Wouldn't the Multi engine and Complex Ratings come before the Commercial? And complex means the aircraft is equipped with retractable landing gear and/or has a controllable pitch propeller, correct? ;) However, those letters are somewhat confusing.

Wouldn't the Multi engine and Complex Ratings come before the Commercial? And complex means the aircraft is equipped with retractable landing gear and/or has a controllable pitch propeller, correct? ;) However, those letters are somewhat confusing.

I am with you. I thought complex was just an endorsement. Something you can get with only a PPL.

1. Private
    1. Tail-wheel endorsement
    2. High performance endorsement
    3. Complex endorsement
  2. Instrument
  3. Commercial
  4. CFI
    1. MEI
    2. CFII
  5. ATP
You can throw seaplane & Multi rating in there anywhere you like after private.

1. Private
    1. Tail-wheel endorsement
    2. High performance endorsement
    3. Complex endorsement
  2. Instrument
  3. Commercial
  4. CFI
    1. MEI
    2. CFII
  5. ATP
You can throw seaplane & Multi rating in there anywhere you like after private.

You can get all those endorsements anytime, you don't have to wait until after your private checkride..

I think one of the points AuntPeggy was making is that commercial comes before flight instructor.

Wouldn't the Multi engine and Complex Ratings come before the Commercial?

Complex is an endorsement rather than a rating, which means there's no exam. You just need an instructor to sign off that they've taught you how, and found you competent to fly a complex plane. Anyone, even a student pilot, can get that endorsement. However, it's usually done in the process of training for the commercial rating. Despite what you might read elsewhere on this site, you need to use a complex plane for the commercial checkride. So you'll know how to fly one before getting a commercial rating.

Multi engine and single engine are different classes of aircraft. So your multi engine and single engine qualifications are completely separate. Your commercial rating only gives you commercial privileges for the class(es) that you've passed a commercial level checkride for. You can get a commercial single engine rating without ever flying a multi engine plane. And many people do that. They then add the multi engine rating onto their commercial certificate. You don't have to do it that way; You could get a multi engine commercial and then add the single engine commercial later.

And complex means the aircraft is equipped with retractable landing gear and/or has a controllable pitch propeller, correct?

Both of those plus wing flaps (which most modern planes have anyway). Complex sea planes don't need the retractable gear.

However, those letters are somewhat confusing.

There isn't a universal standard, but the most common values:

ASEL - airplane single engine land
ASES - airplane single engine sea
AMEL - airplane multi engine land
CP - commercial pilot
PP - private pilot
IA - instrument rating airplane
CFI - certified (or certificated) flight instructor. This requires commercial pilot and instrument rating.
CFII (or CFI-I) - instrument instructor (can teach you stuff you need for an instrument rating). Generally implies CFI rating as well.
MEI - multi-engine instructor. Usually (but not always) CFI and CFII as well
ATP - airline transport pilot (typically multiengine). Requires instrument rating. Almost always has commercial pilot single engine land.

People combine them as needed. So DavidWhite's value 'CPL-ASEL IA' means: commercial pilot (CPL and CP are the same), airplane single engine land with an instrument rating. If he were to get an instructor rating, he might change this to just 'CFI'. We'd all know he was also a commercial single engine pilot with an instrument rating because that is required in order to be a CFI.

janikpilot, you expressed a concern about not being "athletic". I was never athletic either, and still am not. But after high school I went through Air Force basic training and realized I was no different than any of the other guys. I accomplished things I had mistakenly thought I was incapable of.
Another important lesson I learned was that the things I wanted in life were not going to come to me; I had to go after them and in most cases I had to change things about myself and/or my routine in order to get these things.
A career as an airline pilot involves more than just sitting in the left seat flying the plane. There is constant interaction among all crew members as well as with ATC, ground personnel and of course the passengers. It involves teamwork, self-discipline, following orders, and often being away from home. These things don't come naturally; they have to be learned and developed. And you can start learning them now.
One way to do this now, while still in high school, is to join an organization such as the Young Eagles or the Civil Air Patrol. As a Civil Air Patrol cadet you'll learn to work with others as a team and also to serve others - valuable skills every airline pilot needs yet cannot learn on flight simulators. (I bet it looks good on a resume too.) In addition, you'll get some amount of flight training, including flights in airplanes, gliders, hot air balloons, and maybe other aircraft. Their meetings are usually at an airport - what a great environment to spend time in. You'll make friends with other aviation enthusiasts and you'll be in constant contact with a variety of pilots who fly a variety of aircraft...which is an opportunity for networking. Do a google search for the Civil Air Patrol to find out more. If there's a cadet squadron at an airport near you (call around to find out) they'll be happy to talk to you and answer questions.

Back