Wait time for a new cirrus

Tom-Flying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Hi,

Just idle curiosity here. If you were to order a new SR22 with one of the standard paint jobs what does the typical wait time look like?

Do they only initiate a build when an order is placed or is it similar to the auto industry where some "stock" models get produced in anticipation that a buyer will exist before the build is completed?

It has been a year or more but that may be getting shorter now. No planes produced for stock

Wow. That’s a long time to be patiently waiting!

Thanks for the information.

I heard that it was a year and that you’d likely pay next years higher price which is TBD.

I have a friend who buys a new SR22 ever couple of years or so and he got pretty fed up with the wait and delays on the latest one. I think there were some specific issues with his airplane but IIRC it was nearly a year delayed vs what they had told him (which already included a considerable wait).

I have a friend who buys a new SR22 ever couple of years or so and he got pretty fed up with the wait and delays on the latest one. I think there were some specific issues with his airplane but IIRC it was nearly a year delayed vs what they had told him (which already included a considerable wait).

Wow! As they say that's a first world problem!! Sounds like he'd have to put his new order in as soon as he takes delivery, but i assume the big issues were covid related and they might be getting back to normal.

I rent from a place that regularly get's new ones. Some of the quality slipped last year. Things such as paint and little interior things. Nothing to ground the airplane, but for close to a million bucks now, they should do better. The plane I'm thinking of did make the trip back to Tennessee and looks much better now.

There was a thread here from a guy that bought one and documented the process. +1 yr if I remember correctly

I toured the Cirrus factory last week and it sure sounded like longer than a year on lead times. Don't remember exactly what he said. I believe it is 2 or 3 years on the jets. They are working on increasing capacity but with these certified products it takes careful planning.

Lol. Not really a soy boy because I’m not getting rid of my skylane. Have to admit a sr22t would be pretty sweet if dollars weren’t part of the equation. Though get that out of the equation and a Barron would be even sweeter!

If a year sounds bad, Piper production is sold out for 3 years.

Yet none of these companies are will to expand production. A few years ago Cessna literally reduced their piston plane factory by 50% to make small jets. To keep demand at 11 month wait, they jacked prices to slow demand.

It worked. the fuel scale factory went from 11 month back log to an 11 month back log at 50% capacity with higher prices. I was told by an employee the small jet made more profit not only the initial sale, but the required factory relationship to service it.

For those with zero sense of delayed gratification, there are plenty of low-time SR22s for sale. If you just GOT to pick it up at the factory with nothing more than flight-test hours, well prepare to wait.

Yet none of these companies are will to expand production. A few years ago Cessna literally reduced their piston plane factory by 50% to make small jets. To keep demand at 11 month wait, they jacked prices to slow demand.

It worked. the fuel scale factory went from 11 month back log to an 11 month back log at 50% capacity with higher prices. I was told by an employee the small jet made more profit not only the initial sale, but the required factory relationship to service it.

Cirrus ramped production way up in 2006-2008 and hired a whole bunch of people to produce 800+ airplanes per year (IIRC) and then got burned pretty bad when the 2008 recession hit and demand fell off a cliff. I can't blame them for being cautious with all the macro stuff swirling around right now.

Lol. Not really a soy boy because I’m not getting rid of my skylane. Have to admit a sr22t would be pretty sweet if dollars weren’t part of the equation. Though get that out of the equation and a Barron would be even sweeter!

Those Cirrus planes are quite nice. I’d buy one if I had the lettuce

A client of mine just took delivery of a new PC-12. I believe he ordered it about 2 years ago. I have also been told that he could "flip it" immediately for about $1 million more than he paid for it. Some people would be willing to pay that much extra to not have to wait.

It’s amazing the amount of money people are willing to spend. I guess this is how we get inflation… ;)

What happens every couple years that he needs a new one?

Depreciation schedule? Order the next one when you pick up the current one so you’ve got something to fly while you’re waiting for the next one.

Depreciation schedule? Order the next one when you pick up the current one so you’ve got something to fly while you’re waiting for the next one.
Didn’t think about that. But isn’t depreciation all pretty much straight line nowadays?

A client of mine just took delivery of a new PC-12. I believe he ordered it about 2 years ago. I have also been told that he could "flip it" immediately for about $1 million more than he paid for it. Some people would be willing to pay that much extra to not have to wait.

It's a pretty common move with new aircraft, not just PC-12s. We sold a late model Diamond and a Malibu that way in the last 6 months after using them for free for a few years.

It’s kind of like getting a new car every 2 years for some people. The money isn’t a factor for him and he doesn’t want anything bigger/faster.

So, feature upgrades, new plane smell and different color schemes mostly.

So, feature upgrades, new plane smell and different color schemes mostly.
That is part of it. But also factory warranty support. Some people, like me, have no appetite for unexpected big and costly maintenance events, and have 0 interest in handling anything maintenance related. Support on new planes can be variable, and airframe specific. Right now Cirrus is having some growing pains on the support side, but I think they will catch up. Parachutes and parts delays. Of the 8 planes I have bought new, 2 of them required some desquawking the first year, the other 6 were pretty much squawk free from the factory, and when minor maintenance was required the factory was right there to fix things right away on their nickel. Most of the time a new plane is going to spend more time in the air and less time in maintenance, but YMMV.

I recent post on COPA someone stated they expect delivery of their new SR22T in fall 2025; and the Vision Jet in late 2027.
No idea if there is any deal requirements, features or if personal schedule or whatever.
If really curious, call Cirrus sales rep and ask. They have always been very open and honest about such items before.

Tim

Back