Wag-Aero's Demise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still looking for an explanation. If the capital gain is due to inflation, say 20% over the last three years, the billionaire needs to pay 20% of that in taxes? :confused:
No. A billionaire would pay 27.6% in taxes. 20% in regular income tax, 3.8% Obamacare surtax, and 3.8% NIIT surtax.

So, if he’s paying tax on a 20% inflation gain (your example), he has a net negative real income of -7.6%.

No. A billionaire would pay 27.6% in taxes. 20% in regular income tax, 3.8% Obamacare surtax, and 3.8% NIIT surtax.

So, if he’s paying tax on a 20% inflation gain (your example), he has a net negative real income of -7.6%.

And the government likes this!

And the government likes this!
So, on a million dollars of passive income, there's $76,000 of "inflation tax" on an investment that didn't really gain any value at all? Now, why would the government do such a thing? (Rhetorical question.) Do you s'pose the trillions of dollars they spent in the last few years has anything to do with it?

Take the struggling working class out of it and look at the actual middle class making $100K-$500K and re-run your numbers.
Whoa! So now you think a "low level employee" is making half a million dollars per year???

There's no need to re-run the numbers because you'll just keep moving the goalposts.

giphy.gif

So how about Wag-Aero and Leading Edge Airfoil huh?

Leading Edge has become Advanced powerplant solutions and will be at an actual airport, C59. Only wish the Knoll's would have brought APS over to my neck of the woods. But I can't blame them for hopping the cheddar curtain.

That 37% bracket starts at what income level, again? You are comparing 1% income rates with other 1% income rates, and leaving out the surtaxes and double-taxation that capital gains and dividends get hit with. Anyone paying 20% capital gains is also paying an additional 7.6% in Obamacare and NIIT surtaxes; for non-qualified dividends and short-term capital gains the total federal tax rate is 44.8%.

FWIW, I pay that 37% on much of my income, plus the 3.8% Obamacare surtax, plus the NIIT surtax on part of my income, plus the double-taxation on corporate earnings and dividends. Do you pay those rates?
Regardless of your personal tax situation, it has little bearing on the rest of the 330M people in the US.

If you have to resort to calling $500K “middle class”, well, I think that your argument has fallen apart in shreds. [Single-income top 1% cutoff was $403K for 2023.]

Your original statement was:

Now we just need to fix the capital gains mess that allows billionaires to pay a lower percent in taxes than their low level employees.

So, now you want to call a $500K executive, lawyer or doctor a “low level employee”?

:lol:
Lower than the billionaire. I was speaking of the $100K-$500K, but the point still stands. People who obtain their income from passive investments pay a lower percentage of their income in taxes, generally speaking.

Regardless of your personal tax situation, it has little bearing on the rest of the 330M people in the US.
No, but the tax code is the same for all of us. You might do well to study it a bit before posting again, as your statements here have made it clear that you don't have a solid grasp of how it works.

Honestly, whenever I see this sort of "tax equality" nonsense, I can tell immediately that it's likely a cut and paste from a political propaganda site, and/or someone who does not understand the tax code and almost certainly has never dealt with the upper income phase-outs and surtaxes. Anyone who understands the details of the tax code or pays those surtaxes knows better than to fall victim to the sort of disinformation that leads to the misconceptions that you are displaying.

I was speaking of the $100K-$500K, but the point still stands. People who obtain their income from passive investments pay a lower percentage of their income in taxes, generally speaking.
1) $500K is a top 1% income. You called it "lower level employee". Pure nonsense, and it exposed the emotional, counter-factual basis of your argument

2) No, your attempted point does not stand. The inconsistencies and goalpost-shifting you are resorting to have shown your lack of sound basis for these poorly crafted populist talking points.

3) No, people who collect investment income DO NOT generally pay a lower tax rate. They pay a higher rate on average than those with pure W-2 income, because they tend to be in higher income ranges where they both get hit with surtaxes and also don't get to claim the credits and deductions that are available to people with middle class income levels. AGAIN - peruse the IRS data. Look at the net TOTAL tax rates paid by the income groups with top 1% income vs. every other income group.

4) Most long term capital gains and all qualified dividends are double-taxed, as they are based on corporate earnings which have already been taxed at the corporate level. An honest assessment includes those taxes in the analysis. Have you included them? .....that's what I thought.

Last edited:
So, on a million dollars of passive income, there's $76,000 of "inflation tax" on an investment that didn't really gain any value at all?
Right.

Imagine your parents bought a house in 1975 for $35,000. Today, it’s worth $600K. That’s $565K in “long term capital gains”, which would be taxed at 27.6%. Trouble is, it’s the exact same house in the exact same location, so the government is effectively charging a 27.6% transaction tax (~$156K) for getting your money back from a hard asset without any actual income or gain.

Long term capital gains taxes should be indexed for inflation, then set to 0 after 20 years’ holding period.

Last edited:
Take the struggling working class out of it and look at the actual middle class making $100K-$500K and re-run your numbers.
Just to clarify, you are saying that people making $500k/year are middle class, even though they make more than 99% of the rest of the country?
Did I misunderstand you?

My only add to this thread about aircraft spruce buying wag aero is: if the government took half or all of the rich peoples money my life nor anyone else's would change one bit.
It's a good thing we have rich people to create jobs because I don't know anyone working for a broke person

what's the saying about wrestling with a pig?
I don't think it applies here. I relish this conversation in the hope it educates more people than just me. Politicians should do a better job of explaining economics — in the way of Milton Friedman.

My only add to this thread about aircraft spruce buying wag aero is: if the government took half or all of the rich peoples money my life nor anyone else's would change one bit.
It's a good thing we have rich people to create jobs because I don't know anyone working for a broke person

But it would change lives. Start taking away from the top, and the motivation for them to build businesses diminish, and the downstream effect is less employment or even layoffs.

Imagine your parents bought a house in 1975 for $35,000. Today, it’s worth $600K. That’s $565K in “long term capital gains”, which would be taxed at 27.6%. Trouble is, it’s the exact same house in the exact same location...
I see. In other words, if they had a ten-room house, after the government takes away 27.6% of the gain they'd only be able to replace the house with, say, a smaller 7-room house and half bath right next door that was built at the same time and by the same builder?

Start taking away from the top, and the motivation for them to build businesses diminish, and the downstream effect is less employment or even layoffs.
That feels a lot like it deserves “The canard about high incomes paying lower tax rates taking away from the top, and the motivation for them to build businesses diminish, and the downstream effect is less employment or even layoffs, needs to be beaten down with extreme prejudice every single place this lie is re-stated.”

I see. In other words, if they had a ten-room house, after the government takes away 27.6% of the gain they'd only be able to replace the house with, say, a smaller 7-room house and half bath right next door that was built at the same time and by the same builder?
Precisely.

But it would change lives. Start taking away from the top, and the motivation for them to build businesses diminish, and the downstream effect is less employment or even layoffs.

No.

That feels a lot like it deserves “The canard about high incomes paying lower tax rates taking away from the top, and the motivation for them to build businesses diminish, and the downstream effect is less employment or even layoffs, needs to be beaten down with extreme prejudice every single place this lie is re-stated.”
Think about it for a moment.

When a business owner generates profit, what does he/she do with it? Most of them reinvest the majority back into the business, which in turn drives economic activity and creates jobs.

Every penny that is taken away through taxation is unavailable for reinvestment. This is a simple and obvious fact.

Now, it's also obvious that we have to fund the basic functions of government, and it's only going to happen through some sort of taxation.
It is a balance, though, between enabling governmental action and placing an excessive drag on the economy. This is why every single EU nation uses a VAT; the broader tax base has less impact on reinvestment in productive business activities. When a business owner takes out cash to spend on a sportscar or expensive dinners, it gets taxed...but if he uses it to expand his business and hire people it does not. Our system taxes income regardless of how it is used, and this drives Congress to create arcane and complex incentive structures to minimize the re-investment penalty.....which in turn drives people to take unexpected actions to make use of those arcane incentives.

I think I see what you did there, so getting back to Assisted Living which I am currently in the process of securing for a good friend, how do you apply your version of @StraightnLevel's canard?

Think about it for a moment.

When a business owner generates profit, what does he/she do with it? Most of them reinvest the majority back into the business, which in turn drives economic activity and creates jobs.

Every penny that is taken away through taxation is unavailable for reinvestment. This is a simple and obvious fact.

Now, it's also obvious that we have to fund the basic functions of government, and it's only going to happen through some sort of taxation.
It is a balance, though, between enabling governmental action and placing an excessive drag on the economy. This is why every single EU nation uses a VAT; the broader tax base has less impact on reinvestment in productive business activities. When a business owner takes out cash to spend on a sportscar or expensive dinners, it gets taxed...but if he uses it to expand his business and hire people it does not. Our system taxes income regardless of how it is used, and this drives Congress to create arcane and complex incentive structures to minimize the re-investment penalty.....which in turn drives people to take unexpected actions to make use of those arcane incentives.
I don’t disagree with a single word you said AND I still am not sure the statement that “…the motivation for them to build businesses diminish…” is substantiated. My observation is that people tend to optimize their assets within their environment. Change the environment and they’ll change their strategy - but I’m not sure they’ll change their motivation, at least not that simply or quickly and at least not for the highly motivated people who tend to populate the tier we’re talking about here.

@StraightnLevel @Kristin

Let’s be careful not to get into a Spin Zone discussion.
Wait a minute. StraightnLevel is offering sound thought here backed up with real world data. The other you cite is merely pushing propaganda talking points with no basis in reality.

No spin zone material if the individual is correcting false statements.

Wait a minute. StraightnLevel is offering sound thought here backed up with real world data. The other you cite is merely pushing propaganda talking points with no basis in reality.

No spin zone material if the individual is correcting false statements.
Spin Zone material is Spin Zone material, whether it aligns with one’s philosophy or not. I have locked many a threads not because I want to - I actually enjoy political, religious and other hotly contested topics - but they aren’t permitted on this site. Let’s just keep the conversation civil.

Is that a change to the rules? civility is the criteria?

Factual? OK. Your parents have a $565k cap gain from the sale of the house that they bought for $35k and is their primary residence.They made money but the cap gain isn't going to be taxed at anything like 27.6%. If they are both living, the first $500k is tax exempt. If one is dead, the survivor exempts $250k. If they are dead, the heirs get a step up in basis to $600k and pays no cap gain at sale.

Sounds to me like some of you need better accountants.

Factual? OK. Your parents have a $565k cap gain from the sale of the house that they bought for $35k and is their primary residence.They made money but the cap gain isn't going to be taxed at anything like 27.6%. If they are both living, the first $500k is tax exempt. If one is dead, the survivor exempts $250k. If they are dead, the heirs get a step up in basis to $600k and pays no cap gain at sale.

Sounds to me like some of you need better accountants.
What if it wasn't a primary residence, but a vacation home they rent out. Would it have been a reasonable example then?

Rates are kind of irrelevant. Look a % of total taxes paid by income group.
Taxes by income
From the link: "In all, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid more than $1 trillion in income taxes while the bottom 90 percent paid $531 billion."

Is that a change to the rules? civility is the criteria?
No, but I’m also not a heavy handed moderator that strikes when the opportunity presents. Just keep it cool and let the show roll on. I consider it a warning to all. :)

What if it wasn't a primary residence, but a vacation home they rent out. Would it have been a reasonable example then?
Then any and all expenses from maintaining, advertising, accounting, financing, taxes and every other expense associated with the property, as well as any depreciation, accelerated or otherwise, would have been deducted from income during the course of ownership, which presents a whole host of tax advantages. So my bet would be that the tax paid on the cap gains wouldn't be quite as burdensome as it may appear on the surface.
Then there's the possibility of a 1031 exchange.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back