Voting Lines

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
So how were the lines when you votes today.
I tried to vote this morning. I got to the polling place at 6:55 (open at 7:00) and the line was out the door already. Since I need to be at work at 7:30 I figure I will vote later in the day.
I drove by another polling place and 7:10 and the line is out the door there too.

When we arrive at 6:10, we are the first to vote after the poll workers. Today at 6:15, the line was already out the door. Lots of people asking questions that made it obvious they had never voted here before. Lots of young people.

6:05 AM for me, the line was out the door. Took about 20 minutes... but I saved a good 10-15 minutes because there was nobody in the M-Z line and about 8 of us got to skip ahead in the line. As one guy noted... "this is the first time that I've ever been glad my name starts with 'Z' ". I figure folks in the A-L line took 30-35 minutes.

They were handing out paper/optical ballots to reduce waiting for the machines - that also saved considerable time.

On the plus side, it also meant that my commute was 25 minutes instead of the usual 35, so I was in the office by 7.

Heh, heh, I'm going to vote around 11 with all the old folks. It's nice not working -- you never have to stand in lines!!!!

Arrived at about 7:15, out by 7:40. The A-J line was longer by a considerable measure, but the people working the polls were very efficient.

Looking in the Precinct book while my name was looked up, it was also apparent that at least half of the Precinct voted early. Big turnout this year.

Heh, heh, I'm going to vote around 11 with all the old folks. It's nice not working -- you never have to stand in lines!!!!
Hush... I heard about your ways. You need a couple newborn infants to change your mind on the current situation. :)

Looking in the Precinct book while my name was looked up, it was also apparent that at least half of the Precinct voted early. Big turnout this year.
I voted a week ago Friday. The other night, the news was reporting 45% of Travis County had voted during the early voting period.

I wonder who this county is going to lean toward?

Leslie, perhaps? :D

As I posted in the SZ thread, 300 or so in line at 6:00AM on the nose. Out at 6:34, but I would have been out at 6:25 if it wasn't for my wife (hyphenated last name, the S-Z line was empty, all the other lines were chock-a-block full.

Cheers,

-Andrew

We are a pretty small township, maybe 3500 people. Showed up at 7:10AM, line already out the door of the firehouse. Finally voted at 7:45. Was voter number 216 for the day, so I would estimate that almost 10% of our population voted by 9AM. Line was down somewhat by 8AM, but still, the longest I've seen it.

Gary

I live in a very red county and much of the election is decided during the primaries. In addition Illinois is expected to go for Obama with polls consistently showing a 2:1 lead over McCain. With those two factors and that I have never seen more than 3 people voting in our polling place even though three precincts meet there I headed off to vote today.

The line at 7am was out the door. Polls opened at 6am, there was no where but on the streets to park. I got into line and had to wait about 30 minutes to vote. I have never seen the line like that before here.

I haven't missed voting in our neighborhood in the last 25 years - and I have never seen as many people at the polls as I did this morning. The polling place also had more election workers than I have seen before, so they were prepared for, what looks to be, the largest voter turnout in a long, long time. We spent about a half hour to go through the line and to actually vote.

Here in Baltimore there were several pages of "municipal" issues and bond questions to read through. I knew the issues in advance and it still took me a "while" to go through the 11 screens of todays ballot. It was interesting to see some people insert their card and spend only several seconds to cast their ballot. No way they could have gone beyond the "presidential" part of the ballot - as if none of the local issues mattered. It will be interesting to watch the returns this evening - especially for a couple of the local issues which may impact my business in 2009. I do have the feeling that I will be smiling about those results. ;)

I went to vote at eight-ish this morning like I usually do. I find there's usually a lull in the action at that particular time, with no waiting at all. It usually picks up again an hour or two later.

This morning, there were two or three people in front of me on the line, which is two or three more than usual. The poll worker also said the volume was much heavier than usual, with a line having already formed outside when she opened the doors at 6:00 a.m.

This is in Queens, NYC. Because of the population density, multiple electoral districts exist within walking distance of my home, and six or seven districts vote at the same polling place. The lines seemed to be about the same (two or three deep) at all of the machines this morning.

-Rich

I entered the polling place at 9:11 (how appropriate) and walked right up to the poll worker in "my" line. One line had 3 people in it; the others were empty. I had come prepared, so I didn't even need to read the ballot (darn constitutional amendments!!), just color the circles. Took 2 minutes.

Debbie and I arrived at 7:05 and were back in the truck by 7:30. If it wasn't for the b.s.'ing with neighbors we could have made it back by 7:20. We live in a rural area so it makes a difference.

Lines? What lines? It's all vote by mail in my county. I dropped my ballot in the mailbox on my way to the airport for the trip to Japan - two weeks ago. :yes:

Yeah there was a pretty good line out the door at my polling place here in Madison. The line moved pretty fast, and I do give credit to the city for actually hiring poll workers less than 80 years old this time :)

The only snafu was that the optical reader jammed, and they had to bag up the ballots to be processed later. They were very open in disclosing this and very careful about the process of setting the votes aside for later processing.

I decided to wait until after 9 AM to show up. The high school parking lot was entirely full (and I can't think they had classes today, but I don't know...) and I was prepped for the worst BUT the A-F line was empty and I walked right up, checked in, voted, and was back out the door in no time flat. Even with a stop at the vet (food) and then starbucks... I was at my desk before 10 AM.

At our polling place this morning at 6:45, polls opened at 7:00. We were number 4 in line. Voting took maybe 10 minutes with a paper ballot (fill in the circles for your choices). The workers seemed pretty lost, like they didn't have much, if any, training. They didn't fill in the forms correctly, retained the wrong copy, couldn't get the ballot readers to work right away, ... hope it gets better for them.

I think I heard on the news last night that Colorado has the largest ballot in the nation this year, with all the amendments we have this year.

My neighborhood is mostly low-to-mid-income working folks, so there's a bit of a clog at 6 when they open then between 6pm and 8 when they close. The rest of the day it's fairly deserted. This year I showed up at about 9AM and practically walked right into the booth.
I was surprised to see that they had the newfangled booths- no levers, just a paper overlay over some buttons with LEDs. I was also astonished at one of the public questions offered- one of the most amazing run-on sentences I've ever seen. I had to re-read it about 5 times before I understood what was being proposed!

Last edited:
9:45
Only one couple ahead of me, showing their pre-school daughter the process.
3 vacant machines available.
3 page ballot.
out by 9:50

Line was out the door at my place. Except that the ID/affadavit check table is only about 6 feet inside the door. Took me longer to vote than it did to wait in line to vote. Looking at the district map, I can't see there being more than 2000 people who would end up at the polling facility. I was number 395 to vote.

The lines in Missouri are so long they are having a special election day tomorrow for all Obama supporters.:rofl:

I was first in line two weeks ago when I voted!!

Ditto.

My election day consisted of putting out my flags and "America" mailbox garden flag, taking in the Halloween stuff, and putting my two campaign signs - one of which replaced the stolen ones - further out into the road.

Around 7:45, there was a fairly long line. Not quite out the front doors but close. I decided that rather that wait in that line I'd just go back on my way home from work, when it's probably a lot shorter and I don't have to be anywhere.

I miss how it was last (presidential) election. I was in college at the time so it was easy enough to go vote in the middle of the day. I think the line was about five people long then.

At 6:55am, the lines were much longer than I've seen in past elections, but not bad.
But, there were also more voting booths than previous elections, so I was done by 0720.

Hush... I heard about your ways. You need a couple newborn infants to change your mind on the current situation. :)

Been there, done that, changed the diapers....:D

Now they're 8 and 5, in school, so I can vote with the geezers. 5 minutes, bip bap boom, I'm done, went on to run more errands.

Now it's time for a nap. Should be a good one without all those GD robocalls interrupting me. :yawn:

How about dat weather?

75 degrees in November.

I have windows open.

Went there durning lunch 11:50 no one in line and about 4 people in the little boths voting.

I arrived about 8:45. There was a line of about 15 people, but they were people who didn't have their voter registration card and needed to have their precinct looked up. I had my card, and was immediately taken to my precinct desk and given a ballot. Out in five minutes.

Ron Wanttaja

As I posted in the SZ thread, 300 or so in line at 6:00AM on the nose. Out at 6:34, but I would have been out at 6:25 if it wasn't for my wife (hyphenated last name, the S-Z line was empty, all the other lines were chock-a-block full.

Same here M-Z was moving fine A-L (Mary and the hyphenated name) seemed to lag behind but we actually met at the voting machines and went in at the same time.

Our wait was maybe 30 minutes top....it went smooth. A few people had to run the gauntlet after voting and of course played it up requiring high and low five's from the crowd, who obliged. :skeptical: I guess this is what happens prior to that first coffee.

Well I was voter #333 in Ward 33 this morning...how spooky is that...

attachment.php

Attachments

• vote.jpg
    vote.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 46
LOL! I will have to show you a photo of my polling place, you will get the joke. Lines :goofy:

I think there are about 200 residents in my precinct in the winter.

I went today about 11:15. Yep, that's when all the geezers were there. I walked right in (after giving scowls to the various people who were making last ditch efforts to get me to change my vote), signed my name, and went to vote.

Wait another 24 hours or so and we'll see what happens.

I went today about 11:15. Yep, that's when all the geezers were there. I walked right in (after giving scowls to the various people who were making last ditch efforts to get me to change my vote), signed my name, and went to vote.

Wait another 24 hours or so and we'll see what happens.
Glad to see that you could not be swayed from your support for Pat Paulsen!! :cornut:

Glad to see that you could not be swayed from your support for Pat Paulsen!! :cornut:

Experts are everywhere to help you, so I voted for them. ;)

Back