Voting Lines

Hehe we went out to the Tilted Kilt (think Scottish Hooters) for lunch today, and the waitress asked who we'd voted for. Two of us said "Bob Barr", and she just looked at us with this puzzled look.

Hehe we went out to the Tilted Kilt (think Scottish Hooters) for lunch today, and the waitress asked who we'd voted for. Two of us said "Bob Barr", and she just looked at us with this puzzled look.
At lunch today I was the only person who knew about Barr and McKinney.

Was no one in line in Precinct 111 in New Mexico. Walked in, voted (which took about 20 minutes with all the issues on it) and walked out. There are 3 other precincts in the same building, and there was no line for any of them.

This was at about 11:45am.

If you happen to be in New Mexico, go vote, dammit.

im surprised the waitresses at the tilted kilt have the brain capacity to realize that theres an election going on...

I walked in about a quarter of two -- I was #3 on line. Unfortunately, no Starbucks between the polling place and home, and no Krispy Kreme or B&J's in town. But I'm still planning on a free dessert at Boonie's tonight (unless I go to their other place, Sobo's, for a free appetizer) -- love them Southern Boys' restaurants!

Is it too late to register?

Unfortunately, yes, New Mexico is one of the archaic states with a registration deadline on a day other than election day.

But if you're registered? Go vote!

Unfortunately, yes, New Mexico is one of the archaic states with a registration deadline on a day other than election day.

But if you're registered? Go vote!
Anyone you know out of town that did not get to vote? I could just fly in and say I am them? ;)

Anyone you know out of town that did not get to vote? I could just fly in and say I am them? ;)

LOL! No ID law still, you could do it.

/me grumbles about ID laws being necessary

I've always wondered about that -- like what happens if I show up and they say, "Oh, you already voted." How do I prove the first "me" wasn't me? And once I do, how do they extract that person's vote from the tally? Or how they stop me from voting as someone else in another precinct?

I've always wondered about that -- like what happens if I show up and they say, "Oh, you already voted." How do I prove the first "me" wasn't me? And once I do, how do they extract that person's vote from the tally? Or how they stop me from voting as someone else in another precinct?

I suspect they give you a provisional ballot, and verify it later, which sucks.

Especially considering the person who voted in your place is probably going to be counted while you're not.

At lunch today I was the only person who knew about Barr and McKinney.

My 8yr old daughter is very upset that Barr was excluded from the debates, and that nobody seems to know who he is. She's an ardent Libertarian, apparently. :D:cheerswine:

From the "Go Figure" file, my 5 yr old is an Obama supporter.

My 8yr old daughter is very upset that Barr was excluded from the debates, and that nobody seems to know who he is. She's an ardent Libertarian, apparently. :D:cheerswine:

There was a 3rd party debate, and without going too politcal (this isn't Spin Zone), Bob Barr was the only one that actually spoke presidentially at the debate.

You've got an awesome 8 year old daughter :D The 5 year old will come around ;)

Okay, so you're only a half-failure as a father? :D

Good job! :yes:

Well, I was a Clinton supporter when he ran the first time. In 1992, I was 8, despite my mom being someone who votes for people with an "R" next to their name about 90% of the time. The reason was some of the other kids at school came from families where they talked politics at the dinner table, whereas I come from a family where we don't talk about anything, ever. So, I'd suggest it's possible your 5 year old has fallen susceptible to similar influences.

A few years later, after my mom had explained to me that anyone without an "R" next to their name was worthless, I then taunted her for voting for a Democrat.

Now, I just use my brain, and I don't much care what letter is next to their names.

/me grumbles about ID laws being necessary

In Pennsylvania, you need to show photo ID the first time you show up to a poll, and after that you don't, just sign. I find this odd. I see their logic, but there's nothing that says that once I've voted at a location that it is me showing up to vote the next time. I could easily enough even tell a friend to go vote on my behalf.

It'd be nice if we could actually just trust people. Too bad that society has gotten to the point where it doesn't trust people. Worse yet that that is probably not an unreasonable assumption.

My girlfriend's 8-year-old granddaughter asked me who I would be voting for, and I said I probably would be voting for Bob Barr. "Who the hell is he?" she asked.

-Rich

My polling place this morning during the lunch rush (yes I did actually take this as I was walking in to vote, and yes that is snow and a goodies table.)

Attachments

• iphone11.04.08 002.jpg
    iphone11.04.08 002.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
yea they dont get hired because of their intelligence

lol ed. Madison. didnt you see my picture there? jailbait...

No, I didn't. And if they can serve alcohol, they are old enough!

My polling place this morning during the lunch rush (yes I did actually take this as I was walking in to vote, and yes that is snow.)

The local Dallas newscasters were breathlessly reporting last night that "the elections might already be decided" because in many precincts more than half the votes had already been cast and their experience is that the results don't normally change within a precinct as more votes are cast.

My question is exactly how much they know prior to election day, and how they get the information.

In and out in ten minutes. I was #403 to vote (at 1 PM) while Mary as #32 (at 7 AM).

Not that it matters...

The local Dallas newscasters were breathlessly reporting last night that "the elections might already be decided" because in many precincts more than half the votes had already been cast and their experience is that the results don't normally change within a precinct as more votes are cast.

Well, there will be a lot of people in Hawaii and Alaska irritated to hear about this! :goofy:

jes me an' the 4 poll booth folks.... no one in front or behind at 9am, took John 2 seconds to find my name on the one-page sheet. 4min30secs total.
Oh well; they say our votes won't be counted anyway for the big elections.

Sure feels good to be in and out......in 6 minutes

Not even with a 20-foot Hungarian will I touch that.

OMG, I had to laugh so loud...I honestly didn't even think on THAT... excuse me for 6 minutes... "HONEY, I wanna show you something I'm proud of...."

Not even with a 20-foot Hungarian will I touch that.

:ihih::ihih::ihih::ihih: Probably wouldn't take as long with a 20-foot Hungarian!!!

BTW - My younger daughter flipped her support to McCain tonight. No word on why.

They were talking about early voting. Do they do that in those states? I only know one person who voted today, and that was only because he forgot to do it earlier.

Well, there will be a lot of people in Hawaii and Alaska irritated to hear about this! :goofy:

They were talking about early voting. Do they do that in those states? I only know one person who voted today, and that was only because he forgot to do it earlier.

:wink2:

Don't know about Hawaii, but Alaska has early voting. I'd say a lot of people wait until election day to vote though. I rather enjoy going to the polls and being involved with all the day-of hoopla - since I don't have to wait in line and my polling place is five minutes from work.

Back