Volunteer hours

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
My company pays me 8 hours a year to do volunteer work for any not-for-profit. But I imagine I cannot use those hours to volunteer for pilotsnpaws. I'm still a student but should be done in 2024,where I get my next 8 volunteer hours.

Why couldn’t you?

Our volunteer policy is 16hrs/yr, self-report. If you wan’t clarity, ask for the policy, it should be in your employee handbook.

I'm concerned with the FAA saying I'm getting paid to fly with out having my commercial.

I'm concerned with the FAA saying I'm getting paid to fly with out having my commercial.

If this were really a concern, no Private Pilot could fly while on a paid vacation or a paid holiday.

My company pays me 8 hours a year to do volunteer work for any not-for-profit. But I imagine I cannot use those hours to volunteer for pilotsnpaws. I'm still a student but should be done in 2024,where I get my next 8 volunteer hours.
If the organization you are volunteering for is 501(c)3 under IRS rules, the 8 hours is golden. But only after you get your PPL.

Wait a minute....do dogs count as passengers?

Good for you for thinking about the rules.

1) As a student, just fly any solo you do to get your license.
2) As a Private Pilot, of course you can donate your time and pay for the plane to fly animals and people, and do it for charity as well.
3) Half Fast is spot on - your company is not paying you to fly, they are giving you time off. Your flight would not be in a furtherance of a business, etc.

BTW - it is tricky, so again good for you for thinking it through. As a PPL, you could fly for a work engagement with no one else in the plane and no business cargo - even though you're getting your regular salary. The company can pay for the plane use costs. BUT if you have another person and/or any company cargo, then that doesn't apply, and you can only ask for a pro rated amount only for the plane costs from the other occupant. And you can't get reimbursed for your prorated costs from your employer.

Last edited:
Volunteer for a day at Oshkosh next year. I can’t think of anything more fun to let an employee pay you for.

trust me...FAA is not auditing corporate records to examine how employees spent their 8 volunteer hours once a year...

Same if you take you dad on a flight and he swipes his credit card at the AvGas pump then buys you such for taking him flying...

Yes, "technically" both could be argued to run afoul of the regs but not at all the intent of the regs.

Let’s look at the logic. In your example, a salaried employee would be subject to the FAA saying they’re being paid to fly without a commercial license.

Let’s look at the limitations at play. 14 CFR 61.113.

(b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:

(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and

(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.

Your volunteer activity has nothing to do with your business or employment, so that limitation is not in play.

Let’s look at the logic. In your example, a salaried employee would be subject to the FAA saying they’re being paid to fly without a commercial license.

Let’s look at the limitations at play. 14 CFR 61.113.

Your volunteer activity has nothing to do with your business or employment, so that limitation is not in play.
Here's an interesting situation....back in February, I got a call (I'm a local EAA Young Eagle coordinator) from the local FAA STEM Coordinator at the FSDO. I didn't know that every Federal Dept has a STEM component, but they do. She explained they were running a week-long aviation program for teens and could we run a rally for them? Uh....maybe...when? A Wednesday in late July. I look at my calendar....right, sure...3 days before AirVenture.

But of COURSE!

Now, because it was a weekday (we fly rallys on Saturday mornings) many of our pilots and ground crew took the day off as vacation day (meaning they were paid) to make this happen.

I dare the FAA to come at me.

How is this any different than flying on your vacation or other PTO?

Back