VMC ROLL youtube video

I expected a full roll. He just went a little further than I am comfortable with but I wasn't nervous during the video.

That's not much different than I do with my students except I keep one engine idle, one engine full power and then pitch up so the student can see the roll start to happen. That looked about 30 degrees or so to the left. I usually say pitch back until you lose control and then recover.

Depending on the aircraft full power is not needed on the good engine. I had not seen the technique of reducing both to idle and then pushing one up.

With a Seneca II (turbo), a technique is to block the rudder pedal so full rudder is not available. Limit the power to a low cruise setting, simulate power loss on one engine, try to maintain altitude as speed decays to demonstrate the effects of Vmc loss of control and proper recovery. It will happen at a higher airspeed because of the limited rudder available and the effects of less than full power.

I'll agree that with a lighter Twin Trainer (Seminole, BE95), a full power technique can be used, but many will limit the use of full rudder to demonstrate loss of control but make it available for recovery.

Depending on the aircraft full power is not needed on the good engine. I had not seen the technique of reducing both to idle and then pushing one up.

With a Seneca II (turbo), a technique is to block the rudder pedal so full rudder is not available. Limit the power to a low cruise setting, simulate power loss on one engine, try to maintain altitude as speed decays to demonstrate the effects of Vmc loss of control and proper recovery. It will happen at a higher airspeed because of the limited rudder available and the effects of less than full power.

I'll agree that with a lighter Twin Trainer (Seminole, BE95), a full power technique can be used, but many will limit the use of full rudder to demonstrate loss of control but make it available for recovery.
At the altitude that we do VMC demos these days, I have not seen a light twin where the instructor did not have to block the rudder in order to achieve the loss of directional control.

Must be a bad link, the movie I just watched didn't have much of a roll

I agree that it isn't much of a 'roll', but for all of you that are calling it a normal/nice demo.....do you really let the demo go that far before correcting?

For those of us who have never flown a multi, what is the corrective action for the roll?

I'm not multi rated but the video didn't look too bad. For all you multi pilots out there, was what he did that dangerous?

For those of us who have never flown a multi, what is the corrective action for the roll?

As soon as it starts to drift towards the dead engine (you can no longer overcome with rudder), you pull the power back on the good engine, and lower the nose.

I'm not multi rated but the video didn't look too bad. For all you multi pilots out there, was what he did that dangerous?

I wouldn't call it dangerous or stupid....my thought was simply 'what's the point of letting it go that far?'

At that altitude, you aren't really showing how dramatic a true VMC roll would be and in a normal demo you should be taking action a lot quicker.

Any directional control problems can be corrected by reducing the good engine. In fact, you can fly slower than Vmca with maintained directional control and power reduction.

Any directional control problems can be corrected by reducing the good engine. In fact, you can fly slower than Vmca with maintained directional control and power reduction.

While true, staying that slow and not getting the nose down is what kills twin pilots regardless of how much power they have on the good engine.

I just thought the cfi took it to far. A vmc demo can quickly kill you before you can reduce the power to regain directional control.

I just thought the cfi took it to far. A vmc demo can quickly kill you before you can reduce the power to regain directional control.

I'd agree with that. Really zero point in allowing the demo to go that far. Do that at sea level on departure and you're dead, but you can't reproduce that at altitude.

Last edited:

Again, not a ME pilot here, but if you're up at altitude is this still not recoverable? They didn't look particularly close to the ground to me. I've seen plenty of spin training videos online and nobody says that's unsafe if done at altitude. Is this somehow different?

Again, not a ME pilot here, but if you're up at altitude is this still not recoverable? They didn't look particularly close to the ground to me. I've seen plenty of spin training videos online and nobody says that's unsafe if done at altitude. Is this somehow different?
It used to be typical in training to go a lot further. When I did it they made sure we got far enough into it to snap us upside down faster than you could pull the throttle, as a matter of "teaching respect for the airplane". That was of very dubious training value, and a lot of people died in training accidents. Fortunately that training paradigm has been widely discredited, along with some other wise changes like raising the published Vmc for twin comanches. The idea these days is to not let it get very far at all, and to show the principle of Vmc by limiting rudder travel artificially. Anything more than that belongs in a sim.

All that said, the OP's video looks like a safe and well done demo to me.

Back