Vision jet goes for a swim

Skycatcher and Pipersport.

Also I don't remember if the Cessna (Columbia) 400 had a steering linkage or not.
Yes, many modern Light Sports have chosen free castoring nose gear. The Skycatcher was a clean sheet design, and the Pipersport was a rebadged Czech Light Sport. I was thinking more of the legacy aircraft, the vast majority having steerable nose gear.

Pretty sure the Columbia/Cessna 400’s were free castoring as well.

In any case, it’s not rare, nor an indicator of poor design.

Last edited:
One recommendation I have seen advocated on the Lancair forum is to test the brakes prior to touchdown. Doing this may give an indication of unilateral brake failure before directional control is lost on the ground.

Checking the brakes is on the very short pre-landing checklist on my Sky Arrow, along with boost pump on and seat belts fastened. The idea is that if one of the brakes has no pressure, you can seek out a long, wide runway if your home base or destination has a short and/or narrow runway. At normal landing and rollout speeds the rudder does a pretty good job of steering down to walking speeds.

Yes, many modern Light Sports have chosen free castoring nose gear. The Skycatcher was a clean sheet design, and the Pipersport was a rebadged Czech Light Sport.
Yeah, I cheated a little bit on the Pipersport :)

But it’s not just LSA, but modern designs in general. Look at the Tecnam P2010 and the various Diamonds.

Yeah, I cheated a little bit on the Pipersport :)

But it’s not just LSA, but modern designs in general. Look at the Tecnam P2010 and the various Diamonds.
I wonder what fraction of GA tricycle designs below 12,500 lbs that were designed after, say, 1965 are free-castering. Van’s “A” models, Cirrus, etc.

All Velocity's are free castering nose wheels. I started designing a steerable nose gear for mine but gave up.

I had a similar event with mine while on rollout from landing. Right brake failed and the plane gradually went off the left side of the runway. Missed the the lights and ended up in the grass.

I wonder what fraction of GA tricycle designs below 12,500 lbs that were designed after, say, 1965 are free-castering. Van’s “A” models, Cirrus, etc.

American Aviation/Grumman/Gulfstream singles all do.

AA-1 and -5 series.

Does the SF50 have any kind of emergency braking system? The jets I have flown had one or two hydraulic systems going to the brakes or you could release nitrogen into a single brake system. Turboprops you could use reverse.

Back