Vision Jet Chute pull for the win

I assume the Pilot didn't see that giant red blob of weather at the other air port prior to departure?

I don't know about "for the win". If the cause was the weather, wouldn't the "win" have been not flying through it?

As for everyone being okay, that's always a good thing.
“The win” is a bit of jest. It did however possibly save someone from poor ADM, pending investigation.

I don't know about "for the win". If the cause was the weather, wouldn't the "win" have been not flying through it?

Yup, I can't figure this one out.

I assume the Pilot didn't see that giant red blob of weather at the other air port prior to departure?

Makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?

I don't know what weather condition would cause me to pull the handle on several million dollar's worth of jet that could likely do amazing things such as making 180° turns.

Yup

Is this the first Vision pull?

Yes, first in the wild any way, pretty sure there were a bunch of test pulls.

I read elsewhere that this was a maintenance flight. I can't imagine a maintenance flight being this important. I wonder if situations like this occur because a pilot has been cutting in close for a while, maybe years, getting away with it. Until fate catches up.

Be careful out there. I hope the guy that is seriously injured heals up.

I wonder if situations like this occur because a pilot has been cutting in close for a while, maybe years, getting away with it. Until fate catches up.

Could be. In my line of work, there’s sometimes a tendency to think that we performed well because a favorable resolution was reached. We are reminded frequently that “we’re lucky more often than we’re good.”

Ain’t jumping’ to no conclusions. Not even really a guess. Just something I noticed. Looks like on this Approach between AXMEB and LOJUF is when things went sideways. Maybe during a configuration change.

It won’t post. RNAV(GPS) RWY 33

Last edited:
The comments in Kathryn's Report are particularly entertaining this time around..

"dangle drift"
"mandate chutes in all planes"
"low flow toilets"

lol

The weather can move in quickly in that area of Florida in the summer. Report of several hundred gallons of fuel spilling.

The weather can move in quickly in that area of Florida in the summer. Report of several hundred gallons of fuel spilling.
Have a buddy down at aThe Creek now that sent me this link. He said there was some pretty big pop ups. Downed trees. Afternoons in FL can be real crap shoot

At least a participation trophy. ;)

I don't know what weather condition would cause me to pull the handle on several million dollar's worth of jet that could likely do amazing things such as making 180° turns.

I think it may be less of that than pilots assuming increased risk because they have the chute.

I’m not against the chute, by any means, but it’s human reality that whenever you introduce a safety feature, people will find more ways to utilize it….

I think it may be less of that than pilots assuming increased risk because they have the chute.

I’m not against the chute, by any means, but it’s human reality that whenever you introduce a safety feature, people will find more ways to utilize it….

of all the chute pulls, what % involves loss of flight controls and pilot incapacitation? just being curious.

of all the chute pulls, what % involves loss of flight controls and pilot incapacitation? just being curious.
I haven't looked at Cirrus statistics since the 1,423th time we had an argument about the CAPS. But here's my summary that covers 2000-2014:

232 Cirrus accidents covered by my database
43 CAPS deployments
34 Successful deployments. The failures involved trying to use it outside the envelope or, in one case, not pulling hard enough on the handle.

Of the 43 deployments, almost half (19) occurred after an engine failure. Note that Cirrus specifies that the appropriate reaction to an engine failure is to pull the handle.

I found one case where the flight controls were compromised (FTW03LA005)
I found only one case where the CAPS was pulled due to pilot incapacitation (NYC05LA110). Brain tumor!

A lot of the remainder are classic VFR into IFR condition cases, which traditionally have a high fatality rate.

Again, this is only through 2014. Someday, I may care enough to expand it to more-recent accidents, but today ain't the day.

Ron Wanttaja

Looked like pretty heavy rain. Could have affected the engine.
It would take pretty heavy rain to do that. Essentially an impossible rain; we test our jet engines with a deluge that is shocking, even the little GHAE HF-120 which is similar to the engine in the Vision.

and yet they still argue against the notion of risk homeostasis....

Could be the radar image from any afternoon from may to October.
2ACC0BB7-3375-410A-A58F-E0E44A7454FC.jpeg

Is there any real evidence they pulled due to weather? That does seem odd. If not yet in the weather, turn. If already in the weather I would rather be in an airplane flying vs under a chute in a storm.

In this scenario why wouldn't the PIC have activated auto land ? It's a Cirrus Jet after all. Assuming worse case scenario (1 pilot, no pax) the PIC could have declared himself "incapacitated" and since he is no longer qualified as PIC, he could have become a "non-essential crew member" and activated auto land on behalf of the incapacitated pilot. That's what my wife would do, but she gets away with a lot of she·nan·i·gans at which many would balk.

According to a witness to the crash, the airplane was pulled into the swamp by the chute, apparently causing further injury to the occupants. Whether or not this was actually the case, it raises a question: Does the CAPS (Cirrus Airframe Parachute System) have a means to disconnect the chute from the airframe after the airplane is on the ground? Of course, if such a capability were provided, the possibility of the introduction of other perils (failure modes) such as "premature chute canopy release", become a factor. We Humans have an extraordinary talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, so I suppose it is possible that someone would activate a CAPS release (if such a thing existed) while still several hundred feet AGL. I guess it's all a matter of balancing the odds, or "Risk Management".

Looks like it's from 09-Sep-2022 02:40 PM EDT
My point is, that’s what the weather looks like pretty much every afternoon in Florida. That map wouldn’t make me scrub a flight in a vision jet.

My point is, that’s what the weather looks like pretty much every afternoon in Florida. That map wouldn’t make me scrub a flight in a vision jet.

Good for you.

FWIW, I also frequent a professional pilot forum most of the posters are professional turbine pilots. They seem to be unanimously questioning the pilots decision making WRT the weather regardless if that was what brought the plane down.

Good for you.

FWIW, I also frequent a professional pilot forum most of the posters are professional turbine pilots. They seem to be unanimously questioning the pilots decision making WRT the weather regardless if that was what brought the plane down.
I’m not saying it may not have been a bad idea, but that map, with no time stamp on it isn’t enough to scrub a flight. It doesn’t show nearly enough info that you’d need at the time to make a decision. I’m not going to say it was bad adm based on that picture.

Just some comments to above. The chute as of yet does not have a quick disconnect. I think this version of the SF50 did not have autoland. That is a relatively new feature available only on the later models.

Just some comments to above. The chute as of yet does not have a quick disconnect. I think this version of the SF50 did not have autoland. That is a relatively new feature available only on the later models.
doesn't all airplanes technically have auto land? I don't think we left on up there yet.

Everything “2.0” is now outdated. Now it would need to be renamed “WeFly” or “Airplanely” and have a monthly subscription plan.

Hmmm…. I thought 2.0 was updated.

More food for thought. Cirrus is neat stuff, but what if ALL his screens went blank due to static discharge or something? I know a guy to whom this happened. If not for a mechanical standby gyro (and an iPad), which older AND newer ones don’t have, that would have been another chute pull….

They don’t have the best electrical track record, think 1980’s Japanese solid state amateur radios that had crazy intermittent grounding problems. And factory support is non-existent. These problems DON’T get reported because your $500,000 plane gets grounded with no hope of support, or a six month to one year $200,000 rewire….

Back