Vision Jet Chute pull for the win

According to a witness to the crash, the airplane was pulled into the swamp by the chute, apparently causing further injury to the occupants. Whether or not this was actually the case, it raises a question: Does the CAPS (Cirrus Airframe Parachute System) have a means to disconnect the chute from the airframe after the airplane is on the ground? Of course, if such a capability were provided, the possibility of the introduction of other perils (failure modes) such as "premature chute canopy release", become a factor. We Humans have an extraordinary talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, so I suppose it is possible that someone would activate a CAPS release (if such a thing existed) while still several hundred feet AGL. I guess it's all a matter of balancing the odds, or "Risk Management".
That was a thought at one point, but not implemented for the reasons you mentioned. There is at least another case where jettisoning the 'chute would have been safer than being dragged.

As mentioned, the chute does not disconnect, and probably never will. I can see a big issue with that. The POH recommends exiting the aircraft immediately and moving upwind. The tell you to stay away from the chute. An acceptable method to deflate it is to drive a car or a truck onto it.

Hmmm…. I thought 2.0 was updated.

More food for thought. Cirrus is neat stuff, but what if ALL his screens went blank due to static discharge or something? I know a guy to whom this happened. If not for a mechanical standby gyro (and an iPad), which older AND newer ones don’t have, that would have been another chute pull….

They don’t have the best electrical track record, think 1980’s Japanese solid state amateur radios that had crazy intermittent grounding problems. And factory support is non-existent. These problems DON’T get reported because your $500,000 plane gets grounded with no hope of support, or a six month to one year $200,000 rewire….

Loss of all attitude info in IMC is a definite pull, hopefully before the death spiral commences. I don't think there is a recorded accident or incident where this has happened though.

Hmmm…. I thought 2.0 was updated.

More food for thought. Cirrus is neat stuff, but what if ALL his screens went blank due to static discharge or something? I know a guy to whom this happened. If not for a mechanical standby gyro (and an iPad), which older AND newer ones don’t have, that would have been another chute pull….
I went to training with a guy that lost all screens on a jet (including his electronic standby)…fortunately in visual conditions, but several hours west of Hawaii. Point towards a star, and don’t change trim.

I went to training with a guy that lost all screens on a jet (including his electronic standby)…fortunately in visual conditions, but several hours west of Hawaii. Point towards a star, and don’t change trim.
Pointing toward a star works great, until the earth rotates at that pesky 15° per hour, which requires a bit of extra work.

The tell you to stay away from the chute. An acceptable method to deflate it is to drive a car or a truck onto it.

A lawyer wrote that. Round chutes are pretty easy to collapse. Grab one edge of the canopy and pull it into the direction of the wind, then work your way along a seam to the apex. Once you get the apex, it closes like an umbrella.

A lawyer wrote that. Round chutes are pretty easy to collapse. Grab one edge of the canopy and pull it into the direction of the wind, then work your way along a seam to the apex. Once you get the apex, it closes like an umbrella.
And try not get run over by the airplane it’s dragging. :)

so he proved the earth is flat?
No, he proved that the earth keeps revolving the same direction it always has.
Also if your screens go out, wouldn't your Ipad with foreflight still work?
Probably, but it didn’t sound like he had one. And apparently he didn’t need one…his backup plan got him to Hawaii.

Back