Village idiot and the FAAs failure to act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver FSDO has 5 Operations Inspectors for GA. Their district covers 3/4's of Colorado and all of Wyoming. Each one of these Inspectors are assigned Part 135 Operators, 141 schools, DPE oversight, Part 133 operators, Part 137 operators, accident duty, investigating pilot deviations in the district, investigating complaints, issuing LOA's, etc, etc, etc. They also perform desk duty in the office (CFI renewals, name change, etc)

Do you really think they have the resources to do a "stake out" on an airport over a complaint with no proof?

I must agree with R&W on this.

I'd challenge anyone to do a simple three step analysis of their FSDO. First, look at their service area map. Second, look at their staff listing. Third, use your grey matter to decide if you think that they have sufficient manpower to just do the normal routine things, let alone run off and investigate every supposed violation of the regs or potential hazard to air safety.

It would not surprise me if one of the ASIs has these complaints filed away in his memory banks and on future trips to this airport for other business will be keeping an eye out for this guy and his antics. What the ASI is unlikely to do however is run over there just for the purpose of hopefully catching this guy in action. I'm sure the guy does not fly all day every day nor that every time he flies that he does something that he could be busted for. The chance that the ASI would catch him on any particular visit is remote. That is why video or other evidence is what is needed along with patience.

Oh and one other thing. I would caution against engaging in any sort of "self help" that involves touching either him or his property. That will most likely cause you more harm than it will him.

Dude, just go have a chat with the guy, you and a few other folks from the airport have some stern words with him it'll more than deal with the issue.

Pilots land on the same runway at the same time all the time. Boeing Field tower does it routinely at a controlled airport.

I suspect there is another side to the story, as usual.

This is what I'm wondering too. At a nontowered airport, here is no requirement that other aircraft be clear of the runway, its a safety margin. Distance can be hard to judge, was it 500', 1000' or maybe 1500? And after all, he DID land without having even an incident.

Sound like a case of legal but jerkish behavior.

At GPM last week I was over the numbers while Mr 172 Trainer was still rolling out. I was ready for the go around but he turned out on a taxiway right after chirping my tires. It is a towered field. I was concerned but also ready for the alternative.

Back on topic, I wonder if strapping a GoPro or similar camera on you plane could help gather the evidence that people are suggesting you supply to the FSDO?

It seems they are small and light enough to help.

Has anybody actually talked to this guy in person and called him out on it? I don't mean an ass whooping, I mean a "that was a very uncool thing to do and you could have caused a bad action and by the way you are being reported to the FAA yada yada yada?

Don't expect the FAA to have the time to deal with it if you or others don't have the balls to talk to him face to face first.

At GPM last week I was over the numbers while Mr 172 Trainer was still rolling out. I was ready for the go around but he turned out on a taxiway right after chirping my tires. It is a towered field. I was concerned but also ready for the alternative.

Two days ago, I arrived at a moderately busy Class C (Fresno). Another aircraft landed 4000 feet behind me on the same runway, while I was still on the runway, with clearance. I didn't even know it; another pilot landing on the parallel runway told me about it.

There is no prohibition. There is a minimum separation. Particularly with very long runways like Fresno has.

It makes me a little concerned, as behind me is the absolute last place I'm looking while landing or rolling out, though as long as the other pilot is doing a normal landing, he can stop in that space. But, a long landing or T&G with some screw ups (e.g., leaving flaps down or going full rich -- it was hot as hell) could be problematic.

Closed by MC vote. This thread should not have been started anonymously. According to the Rules of Conduct...

The ability to post confidentially in the Medical Topics and Lessons Learned forums is provided to protect posters who disclose sensitive information. It is not meant to be used as a method for anonymous trolling or posting of sarcastic replies. Posts which are seen by the MC to be an abuse of the unregistered feature will be deleted.

Deleting the first post would have caused the whole thread to disappear so we have decided to close it at leave the replies since some of them may be relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back