View Limiting Device

Dry Creek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dry Creek
OK, nearing my required time for simulated IMC. What works best when you also wear prescription glasses? The traditional hood, or Foggles?

May I suggest to try different types and figure out what you feel comfortable with.

For me, the hood worked best.

May I suggest to try different types and figure out what you feel comfortable with.

For me, the hood worked best.

Maybe I could borrow a set of each, but I think I am expected to purchase the device to have for the checkride. I think. Maybe I should ask my CFI to be sure. Being on a budget, I don't really want to spend $18 for the traditional hood and then $37 for the Foggles too.

yup - you should be able to borrow some...

I’m using the ASA Jiffy Hood for IR training. Easy to push up high to see for takeoff and landing, pull it down to go “imc”. It has to go on first, under the headset, but doesn’t interfere with glasses.

Maybe I could borrow a set of each, but I think I am expected to purchase the device to have for the checkride. I think. Maybe I should ask my CFI to be sure. Being on a budget, I don't really want to spend $18 for the traditional hood and then $37 for the Foggles too.
Check the lost and found at the FBO. You’ll probably find a couple of each.

+1 for the ASA Jiffy hood. Works well. Blocks he sun when flying into the sun, can be an issue with Foggles. And it works well with glasses.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Baseball cap with manila folder/cardboard clipped/banded to it. Cheap, effective.

I used the jiffy hood for training. But i put them over my headset.
It was even a pretty bulky ASA headset too. ( One of the other instructors told mine, who was wearing the same headset, that he had to buy a new one because his head was getting squeezed more every time they saw each other.)
One of my flight mates (we did ifr training with 2 students together so 1 observing and the other flying) put the hood under the headset and when the instructor said they were visual it was
Headset off, hood off, headset back on.
Whil i didn't have to release the stick to get the hood off

I use the hood because I find that it gives me a more natural scan in that I don't have to move my head, just my eyes, when looking at the panel.

Nothing better than some actual IMC to get the point of the lesson across.

Not if the lesson is all about what's best to use in simulated conditions ;)

Back to the topic:

I'm with @Bob Noel on this. Try a few and see what works best for you.

if your flight school has them, no reason to "need one" for the checkride, but it's a good idea to have your own for future currency flights. Otherwise, you might end up telling a CFI one day you need one for an IPC and be handed a Francis Hood (I carry one for the purpose :devil:)

picked up a cheap pair of safety glasses at Lowes and spray painted them black 'cept for a coupl'a peep holes

Personally, I like blue window tint and yellow glasses.

I remember my Dad saying when he got his instrument rating the airplane had similar, sounded like a good idea. Personally, I liked the foggles.

Someone should invent a small hood that attaches to your headset and lowers to block your vision.

Don't the Brits cover all of the windows leaving only a small slot for the pilot to look out?

I got a pair of safety glasses from my local hardware store and taped them up to match a picture of foggles on the Sporty's site. They got the job done as well as the product from Sporty's would have, but if I had to do it again, I would at least use electrical tape to block out more of the light that got through the tape I used. It was very inexpensive, though, and there are plenty of safety goggles designed to go over prescription glasses.

and don't forget "The Best IFR Hood. " Unfortunately, it's no longer available. The "Feather Hood" (pic) is identical in every way except the price. "The Best" was $5. The "Feather" is $21.95 plus shipping from Aircraft Spruce :eek:

Yes, it's basically a legal size manila folder, cut and folded with an elastic strap added. I bought an original in 2014 and made a "backup."
17-00020.jpg

I got a pair of safety glasses from my local hardware store and taped them up
I would at least use electrical tape
This is what I did. I did get the safety glasses with the readers built in as well.
Cheap, comfy and works a treat.
Spraying them like @eman1200 is the end goal...but wanted to test the size of the peephole first. And now I'm just lazy because their working lol.

F1B89723-9FC6-4B24-A981-EB15C2CD735D.jpeg
I’m using these on a baseball cap. Work really well with glasses. Only issue is the bill of the cap needs to be on the long side.

Lots of fun but two issues.
  1. What works to give you enough blockage that you are relying less on glimpses than on instruments. There are no view limiting devices I've seen that really simulate actual conditions (especially the knowledge that all you have to do is take 'em off).
  2. If it's a checkride, what will satisfy a DPE.

What works to give you enough blockage that you are relying less on glimpses than on instruments. There are no view limiting devices I've seen that really simulate actual conditions (especially the knowledge that all you have to do is take 'em off).

In the T-38, the student would fly in the back seat with a bag that totally covered the canopy. NO peeking possible. T-34 was the same.

If you don’t wear glasses then safety glasses and tape as shown in previous post.

If you wear glasses like I do, then the clip on version works great. Keeps the seal on your head set.

ASA Overcasters View Limiting Device - ASA-OVC https://a.co/d/bvvQxsr

Do you wear bifocals? I liked the overcasters until I got to bifocals and needed the distance vision to see the radios stack. Then I switched to the Hoody. But they’re all about $20.

I agree!
And my CFII says she is willing to be in actual IMC, and it's pretty easy flying out of a non-towered airport. I guess we'd just file and use Fort Worth ARTCC for actual IMC flight time.
I will try the Jiffy Hood. It's only $16.50 on Amazon, and I just got a $25 gift card for them on my birthday. Amazon has the Feather Hood for $19.95.

And I do have bifocals - so maybe there could be an issue for me when I need to scan further away. They use old Cessna's, the Oil Pressure, Oil temperature and Fuel Level are on the right side.

I agree!
And my CFII says she is willing to be in actual IMC, and it's pretty easy flying out of a non-towered airport. I guess we'd just file and use Fort Worth ARTCC for actual IMC flight time.
I will try the Jiffy Hood. It's only $16.50 on Amazon, and I just got a $25 gift card for them on my birthday. Amazon has the Feather Hood for $19.95.

And I do have bifocals - so maybe there could be an issue for me when I need to scan further away. They use old Cessna's, the Oil Pressure, Oil temperature and Fuel Level are on the right side.
My experience with Foggles: I wear progressives now, but used to wear bifocals. Either way, the Foggles would cover everything except my reader section, which made it tough to see the instrument panel that was just a little too far away. Also, depending on sun angles, there would be a lot of glare between the Foggles and my glasses. The Jiffy hood seems to work out much better for me. But everyone is different. Just pick something for your training and checkride - there is no perfect answer, it just needs to be good enough.

even without glasses I always found that jiffy hood (or similar) seemed to be a better experience overall...in terms of limiting view while allowing good view of inside the aircraft
but I always hated the cumberson donning and doffing of the thing.
For me I liked Foggles as a better compromise but I found the glare in the clear portion distracting. I used a saw to cut away the clear portions and that solved the issue

Jiffy Hood. Especially if you wear glasses.

Jiffy Hood. Especially if you wear glasses.
I’m sure it works just fine, but I get the mental image of someone wearing that who just walked out of a vet clinic.

That's a trip...
I need to send that to my son (finished his T-38C training a few months ago)- he'll get a kick outta that. Old days before HUD and glass cockpit...
My father was an IP in the T38 at Randolph AFB back in the late 60’s. He said that was exactly how it was done

E0F615C1-D865-4D47-A187-CE5B8D4E42D8.jpeg 7E0D4B6F-1647-4BB3-ABEC-185AED9F40E4.jpeg

Problem was, the flight director was the one from the T-39. And it was NOT up to handling the speeds of the T-38

and don't forget "The Best IFR Hood. " Unfortunately, it's no longer available. The "Feather Hood" (pic) is identical in every way except the price. "The Best" was $5. The "Feather" is $21.95 plus shipping from Aircraft Spruce :eek:

Yes, it's basically a legal size manila folder, cut and folded with an elastic strap added. I bought an original in 2014 and made a "backup."
17-00020.jpg
We purchased several of the "Best Hood" for our flight school last year.

Back