Video of Air Canada plane nearly landing on taxiway

F01LA

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Action begins at about 0:50, near the top of the screen. That was too close!

dont they fly instrument approach at night?

dont they fly instrument approach at night?

They do now. The rule changed after this incident - no more visuals to the 28s at night at SFO.

The Phillipines Airlines pilots were pretty unsung heroes in this. They turned their landing light on when they saw the AC flight and it helped significantly.

Wow,look forward to see the final ntsb reports.
My knowledge commercial pilots always landing by instruments and auto trust.

Holy cow, you can see the landing light of the approaching aircraft really light up the ones on the ground.

The captain had over 20,000 total flight hours, of which about 4,797 hours were as captain in Airbus A320‑series airplanes. The first officer had about 10,000 total flight hours, of which over 2,300 hours were in Airbus A320-series airplanes.

The captain had over 20,000 total flight hours, of which about 4,797 hours were as captain in Airbus A320‑series airplanes. The first officer had about 10,000 total flight hours, of which over 2,300 hours were in Airbus A320-series airplanes.

Does that many hours build up not just experience, but also a bit of complacency? I've spent thousands of hours in front of computer monitors slamming out code, and I know I've been guilty of complacency plenty of times. I'm curious if that also happens with professional pilots?

Does that many hours build up not just experience, but also a bit of complacency? I've spent thousands of hours in front of computer monitors slamming out code, and I know I've been guilty of complacency plenty of times. I'm curious if that also happens with professional pilots?
Yes

Just watched the video ,on the nightly news too close for comfort for sure. Wouldn’t have wanted to be first in line on the taxiway.

Still not sure how this happens - speaking visually.

Taxiway. Dim blue lights, a bunch of flashing lights from taxiing a/c, probably some logo lights or taxiing lights.
Runway. Lead-in lights. Maybe a rabbit? Other approach lights, bright white lights, maybe centerline lighting (I need to check the approach plate obviously). Blackness between white lights. Taxiway and its activity parallel to the runway.
Help my mind understand it the way theirs did. I don't want to do the same thing.

Still not sure how this happens - speaking visually.

Taxiway. Dim blue lights, a bunch of flashing lights from taxiing a/c, probably some logo lights or taxiing lights.
Runway. Lead-in lights. Maybe a rabbit? Other approach lights, bright white lights, maybe centerline lighting (I need to check the approach plate obviously). Blackness between white lights. Taxiway and its activity parallel to the runway.
Help my mind understand it the way theirs did. I don't want to do the same thing.
They probably knew they were lined up on the taxiway over a mile out. They were just waiting for the airplane to automatically go around because.... airbus

So they had at least 1500 hours. That’s good as we know how important that is.

From the ATC recording, Air Canada says "We see some lights on the uh, runway there. Please confirm we are cleared to land?" ATC responds "There is no one on the runway but you."

That's some scary target fixation there. You would hope you'd be able to see the big picture in a situation like this, but two highly experienced pilots missed it and almost killed hundreds of people.

That was a pretty aggressive pull up too, wonder how many G's that was?

Why would they. Visual approaches are safe and expeditious. The problem is that they weren't properly lined up with the runway.

Nope. Visual approaches are fine at times.

I do not know what an auto trust is.

With all that said, when I am going into an unfamiliar airport I will usually have the approach up. Even more so at night.

Nope. Visual approaches are fine at times.

I do not know what an auto trust is.

My knowledge the AP (auto pilot) is disconected when they have visual contact with the runway and the AT (auto throttle) is left on until they hear the "RETARD" voice.
This is a good practice 'cause if they encounter variable wind on final, the AT auto throttle will correct the power to mantain the speed on approach.

Leo

My knowledge the AP (auto pilot) is disconected when they have visual contact with the runway and the AT (auto throttle) is left on until they hear the "RETARD" voice.
This is a good practice 'cause if they encounter variable wind on final, the AT auto throttle will correct the power to mantain the speed on approach.

Huh. Airbus drivers...

I can actually fly a 737 manually with no autothrottles and somehow be able to maintain speed with “variable wind” on final. Imagine that, actually being able to fly and do that pilot stuff...

Back