[Video] Cessna Crash on HWY 69 near Tyler, TX

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AggieMike88, Aug 2, 2017.

1. exncsurfer

exncsurfer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    exncsurfer
    Right, I just initially was thinking he was gliding down from a power loss. Now, I'm wondering if they still had power and were just over loaded or maybe had partial power for some reason. In the climb attitude he wouldn't have that nice view of the runway that the dash-cam had. But yea, I agree with you, no matter how you got there, the only option is push.

denverpilot likes this.
  2. Fluffy Bunny Airlines

Fluffy Bunny Airlines Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Partial Panel
  3. Fluffy Bunny Airlines

Fluffy Bunny Airlines Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Partial Panel
    Yeah. What are the numbers W/B numbers on a 1965 C150 with full tanks and 2 average dudes?

4. Bill Watson

Bill Watson Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleDriver
    Agreed.

But I would add that getting and staying wings level is equally important relative to survival. Wings level, minimum speed is very survivable, even into trees. As soon as dip a wing you introduce the strong possibility of rotation into the ground, nose first.

Lose power down low, concentrate on not stalling and landing/crashing wings level straight ahead. The more energy or height you have the more time you have to think and adjust. But you don't want to contact ANYTHING wing low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

denverpilot likes this.
  5. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    That left wing hitting first softened the blow. Kind of lucky it hit how it did.

6. CC268

CC268 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Understood...although it's pretty alarming if you go on Kathryn's report and see how many accidents occur daily.

7. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    In the finest POA tradition of knowing little but guessing a lot. Power on accelerated stall while turning to avoid tall trees. There was no attempt to turn for a landing on the highway.

Cooter and exncsurfer like this.
  8. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    :)

You definitely can't tell what they were trying to do, but the outcome is always the same in low and slow and not getting the nose down, that's for sure.

If they had power and were just struggling the rotation started to the left because...

"If you don't put in more right rudder I'm going to rip the left rudder pedal out and beat you with it!"

;)

9. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    A right turn and left rotation sure don't work for a 150...but that's what it did. Maybe it was an ill advised slip to the right. Slipping on departure leads to departure?

10. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Nah, it looks to me like they're adding right aileron (increasing left wing angle of attack) and it breaks. Whether it was to try to reach the road or just to try to keep wings level, is impossible to tell, but that technique is how we'd "speed up" the unholy slow spin entry in a 172... and the 150/152 will spin way "better" than the Skychicken.

As soon as a 172 starts to drop the nose, racking in right aileron for a left spin helps it get going like instantly. I don't think we ever had to try that hard in the 150, but if you did, it'd go instantly if you were slow enough. The up aileron on the outside had little effect on it, but the down aileron deepened the stall out at the wingtip to get the rotation started. Lever arm and all that.

They're just hanging there nose-high and then the left wing breaks. Sure looks like pro-spin aileron input to me.

Both the 150/152 and 172 much prefer spinning to the left than right, for all the usual "more right rudder!" reasons. Getting a 172 to go right is an exercise in patience and usually a climbing left turn to help it get started along with more left aileron once it starts to break.

The old "now that you've done a few, let's see what happens when you DON'T keep the ailerons neutral and try to stop the start of rotation with aileron... there's the break, try to stop it with aileron... whooops!.. wheeee!..."!

Fun. But only fun at a safe altitude. No bueno done down low.

Bill Watson likes this.
  11. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    Yabut there is so much rudder available that the spin is readily avoidable if anyone is paying just a little 'tention.

12. Cooter

Cooter Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    That's my guess as well. I don't see a point where power is lost. Instead, I see a slow climb and a stall as he approaches the trees.

13. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    True. Very true. But you gotta get your feet involved when slow.

This is why I like the "falling leaf" technique for getting feet conntected to brain, but there's some cross-over problems with it in that students think you can't get slow at full power. And it's kinda hard to demo a "climbing leaf".

I do remember my first instructor doing something similar though... we were purposefully spinning that day but he told me to TRY to hold it from spinning with rudder. Set up the full power climb and wait to get slower and slower and pulllllll while keeping the feet going at any bobble or gust to keep wings level. Eventually it still goes over but you hang there trying not to let it.

That's about as close as you can get, and since spinning things is so out of vogue these days... not too many have done it. :(

14. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    The other thing you get out of that "dance to not let it spin" game is that with the prop howling up front the rudder is a LOT more effective than when doing the "falling leaf".

It kinda locks into your brain cells that power and propwash make both the rudder and elevator more responsive.

Bill Watson likes this.
  15. luvflyin

luvflyin En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    August, Texas, afternoon, C150, dual. Can anyone find out what the temperature and relative humidity were and how much they weighed? I think this accident may have occurred before the plane departed.

16. TCABM

TCABM Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TCABM
    Aug 1, 2017. KTYR. Hi: 94 Dew Point: 67. ~3k density altitude in those conditions. Don't know anything about the pax.

17. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    They were well out of ground effect, and the airplane was flying fine. Even if the climb rate wasn't what they wanted. They weren't going to hit the trees.

It may have looked like they were, to them, and someone may have instinctually pulled back more because the trees were closer than they'd ever seen them, but they weren't going to hit them.

There's also a definite right turn in that video. You can't tell if they were thinking about the road or just missing trees ahead, but that's not a gust. That's the start of a turn.

Of course we can't see anything past the edge of the road for tree height, but I doubt they're much higher beyond, if at all.

The desire to pull is overwhelming without practice NOT to.

18. hotprops

hotprops Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    hotprops
    glad to hear that one is ok and one might be ok.looking at that I did not expect anyone to live. hope they all get well

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    denverpilot likes this.