VFR to KPIT?

BlueSkyz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
--
I'm considering flying into KPIT instead of Allegheny to make car rental easier. I'd be VFR in a PA28. I'm not familiar with the area or airports, and am wondering how challenging it is to land at KPIT. Advice?

PIT isn't that busy anymore. Shouldn't be a problem for ya.

I’ve been in there a dozen times in a 172 and SR22. VFR is no problem. That place is dead.

What kind of fees did you have when you flew the 172 in
Atlantic Aviation said airport landing fee is $2.75 per 1000 lbs, and there's a facilities fee of $50. Overnight tie-down is $20.

Huh - interesting note for PIT:

"ALL JETS DEPARTING RY 28R MUST BE ALIGNED WI RY PRIOR TO APPLYING TKOF POWER."

Wouldn't you want to do that anyway? :)

Last time I flew into Pa I had the choice of the little GA airport or the big airport. I checked how much for the airplane and renting a car. To be honest, it was roughly the same. The car was cheaper at the big airport, but the fees murderous. It cost more at the little airport, but no fees. I decided on the little airport because, well, it was a little airport. I like them better.

Betcha there’s been some incidents on Txy N in the past

Well I’m not sure about applying TO power, but it’s often the practice to start the engine spool up during the turn onto the runway.

I bet money the jet fuel they used to destroy that van cost more than the van itself.

Yup. Maybe they had to do some maintenance run up anyway and said while were here lets get all the Van drivers over and give em a little demonstration about where and not where to be driving airport vehicles

You'll fit in just fine with all those Caravans to MGW, JST, etc.

FWIW when I looked into taking a PA28 there for the air show a year ago or so I was told no ramp/facility fees for a single non-commercial piston, a few bucks non waivable landing fee to the county airport authority and only other fee was overnight parking if needed. Reasonable for a Bravo and much better than even some of the Charlie's (Hi, CMH )

I’ve been in there a dozen times in a 172 and SR22. VFR is no problem. That place is dead.

Don’t let our US Airways senior mama FAs hear you say that - we’re re-opening the PIT base any day now!!! :p

They’re lucky FedEx is around. They closed down my favorite crew meal BBQ special:mad:
It's depressing. They used to have KLM and Northwest 747s. I don't think they've had a non-cargo widebody in 10-15yrs

Thanks to the City of Pittsburgh, just ask US Air about that one...
Not to get too picky, but the city has nothing to do with the airports, Allegheny County runs both PIT and AGC in Moon Twp and West Mifflin borough respectively. And US picked PHL over PIT during the Rendell governorship... Spoiler alert: he's from Philly.

Never flown into PIT on GA, but you certainly won’t have to worry about too much 121 traffic. A few UAL and SWA flights each day, probably using less than 10% of available terminal gates. I like the airport terminal, but it’s a ghost town as far as that’s concerned. I feel like TUL is almost as busy as PIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's depressing. They used to have KLM and Northwest 747s. I don't think they've had a non-cargo widebody in 10-15yrs
Yea NWA used to have a few international flights out of there and Pinnacle was huge down there as well.

There is still a couple delta flights to Paris, as well and condor flights to Berlin.

Back when I had reason to fly to that area, I always flew to Beaver County; around 2000 their gas was a buck fifty one! That's about 20 miles north of PIT. (I also got to take off with a 20 gusting 32 direct crosswind. I still remember that one.)

Never flown into PIT on GA, but you certainly won’t have to worry about too much 121 traffic. A few UAL and SWA flights each day, probably using less than 10% of available terminal gates. I like the airport terminal, but it’s a ghost town as far as that’s concerned. I feel like TUL is almost as busy as PIT.

:rolleyes: Not nearly that dead. And they've been adding routes like gangbusters lately. Most "O&D" pasengers ever there.

:rolleyes: Not nearly that dead. And they've been adding routes like gangbusters lately. Most "O&D" pasengers ever there.

Oh I know, it’s just the perception when the KPIT airline terminal is over twice the size of KTUL. It makes it seem like they only have 4-5 gates operating at any one time.

I tried to get OneJet tix into PIT from IND last week and thought they were having web page issues. Found a news article that they are suspending service.

Apparently due to the PIT airport entity saying OneJet owes PIT $1MM in incentives for expansion promises that OneJet never fulfilled, and instead went into expansion/acquisition mode elsewhere.

Bummer. Was nice while it lasted.

Back