VFR stuck on top, a confession

This assumes of course the controller can see the other airplane - if he has his transponder off (since he doesn't want to talk to anyone, this becomes more logical and likely) then the controller may or may not have a primary return to go by - depends on the aircraft, altitude, and terrain.

I had a Hawker blast by me while I was marginal VMC flying IFR somewhere over northern WV.

We just broke out on top of a layer. When I queried the CLE CTR controller, he said, "I don't see him either..."

:yikes:

What an idiot. That really scares me. Does he not understand that there could be other planes in IMC that he'd not be able to see and avoid?

If I was on an IFR flight plan going through the same cloud, would the controller see him and vector me around him?

If it was an area with radar coverage AND the other aircraft had Mode C capability.

I think the PPL Instrument Training requirement is a necessary evil. I basically tell students, "We'll practice this, but don't think you can fly in clouds -- you know just enough to get killed."

+1. I teach my students not to fly over an overcast layer period. There is no guarantee you'll find a way back down. If you want to fly over cloud layers get an instrument rating. It's that simple.

Not sure that is a good idea Jesse. If the destination is clear and the departure point is clear then flying over the clouds is perfectly legal and safe. Obviously, there is risk, but there is risk in anything. XM Weather can show you cloud cover, metars, ect. Showing your students the proper proceedure for decending through clouds should be part of your curriculum. I sure wish someon had showed me what to ddo before I had to. :eek:

JMHO.

Not sure that is a good idea Jesse. If the destination is clear and the departure point is clear then flying over the clouds is perfectly legal and safe. Obviously, there is risk, but there is risk in anything. XM Weather can show you cloud cover, metars, ect. Showing your students the proper proceedure for decending through clouds should be part of your curriculum. I sure wish someon had showed me what to ddo before I had to. :eek:

JMHO.

Legal is not always equal to safe. I teach my students that flying on top of an overcast layer with no way down in visual sight is a bad idea and a completed link in the accident chain. If one wants to fly over conditions like that they would be best off with an instrument rating.

If I had a student do the above intentionally on a cross country they'd need to find a new CFI.

Last edited:
Teaching them to descend down through the clouds..but into what? They better have some instrument pilot style situational awareness skillz

<---<^>--->

I have been lucky enough to fly on clear days. I know this is not "normal". Therefore, I have not had the chance to fly above the clouds. I know that I will not do so but I am always wondering when it will "happen to me" - the weather causing me to change my plans. Sure, I've been grounded and arrived at the airport to fog but then again I simply went home....

I know I have a lot of weather "experience" to come one day soon - so thank you for posting your story. It definitely helps.

Legal is not always equal to safe. I teach my students that flying on top of an overcast layer with no way down in visual sight is a bad idea and a completed link in the accident chain. If one wants to fly over conditions like that they would be best off with an instrument rating.

If I had a student do the above intentionally on a cross country they'd need to find a new CFI.

Well, if they were a primary student, then that would be an illegal operation, right? So I don't blame you for that. However, given the right circumstances (to include a good Wx brief, fairly high ceilings, plenty of fuel, etc.) I would consider VFR over the top as a non-IR pilot. But you need to monitor the Wx and be evaluating your outs.

The one time I got caught inadvertent VFR into IMC didn't involve VFR over the top, but involved entering a cloud as I was descending to get below the clouds. It was night, and I could tell there were clouds ahead and below me. Wx reporting gave me a good idea of how far I needed to descend. My descent rate was insufficient to get me down before I reached them, however, and I ended up in them. I was already receiving VFR advisories and was in radar coverage, so I wasn't really worried about hitting other planes. And I was using the autopilot, so I wasn't concerned about losing control of the plane. I turned off the strobes and came out the bottom after what felt like a few minutes. Then I went ahead and got my instrument rating! :yes:

I flew over a cloud deck during student XC from KLNS to KVVS and back in a C152 with a climb prop (yep, trucks were passing me on the Turnpike).

We didn't really cover that in training (I had about 30 total hours, about 10 solo), and I landed in KHMZ to call ahead for weather (tried Flight Watch but never connected).

The guy meeting me at the airport said it was clear and a million so I launched.

Sure enough, near Somerset the clouds parted.

Since then I've learned that if you're flying across PA expect early morning overcast layer between Somerset and Carlisle between April and November. If you want to cross Pennsylvania you will fly over an OVC layer.

That's not a fair analogy. Students are specifically prohibited from flying over an overcast.

Last edited:
The real lesson should be to respect the FARs.... and stay out of clouds till you get your instrument rating.

+1

Of course, now it's a non-issue, as it's always clear VFR in South Texas... Except when it's a torrential, tropical storm, of course. :lol:

In which case you'll be on the ground, anyway. :D

I've heard otherwise, but I'll let you know after awhile.

The IR is more difficult than the PP. Pure and simple.

Not much I can add. I cancelled a lot of trips across the state of Washington because I couldn't guarantee I could get back to OLM a day or two later due to weather forecasts. Some of them would have worked out, others not so well. An IR would have made them a no-brainer. 1000-2000 foot thick layer was all that was stopping me. Now I have the IR. Will weather still say "drive"? You betcha. Ice is no fun at all in a 172 or 182. And we have a great ice machine. Would I fly all the way across the state in the clag to shoot a VOR approach into PUW? Sounds too much like work to me, probably would drive in that case, as well. I know my wife would be much more comfortable with such a plan. And I want her to keep flying with me.

The IR will make you a better pilot, and will enhance the utility of the plane. But it isn't a complete cure-all. As Ron would say, "caveat aviator".

...If the destination is clear and the departure point is clear then flying over the clouds is perfectly legal and safe...

Safe? :dunno:

What happens when the big fan up front quits?
How low is the ceiling? Vis under the ceiling?
How do you know the destination or departure will be clear when you get there?
What do you do when the GPS or other electronic nav equipment fails? (Oh, yeah, you've been flying by ded reckoning and keeping good track of everything... :rolleyes:)

What do you do when the GPS or other electronic nav equipment fails? (Oh, yeah, you've been flying by ded reckoning and keeping good track of everything... :rolleyes:)

Better stay on the ground then huh? :D

XM weather answers all of your questions, Flight Services can answer the rest.

If you are not comfortable flying on top, stay on the porch. ;)

Yes, it is safe.

Better stay on the ground then huh? :D

XM weather answers all of your questions, Flight Services can answer the rest.

If you are not comfortable flying on top, stay on the porch. ;)

Yes, it is safe.

Xm weather can't change the weather and flight service can't fly your airplane. Nearly every pilot ive known that says they make lots of flights over solid overcast layers also have a story to go along with it demonstrating why it's a bad idea. Some of them are then smart enough to get an instrument while others don't. We shall agree to disagree.

There are plenty of never again stories and NTSb reports that begin with the pilot deciding to venture on over a solid layer.

I flew for several years without an instrument and never once went over a solid layer. You won't find me encouraging it either.

Last edited:

So how does an instrument rating help you any if your engine quits if the visibility under the ceiling is indeed poor - or the ceiling is under a 1000 ft?

Likewise, if you are flying IFR and your navigation equipment fails, how are you any better off than someone flying VFR in the same scenario? Wouldn't both be able to request help from ATC? So far as I can see there isn't too much difference in probable outcomes whether those failure scenarios happen to VFR vs IFR flights.

Xm weather can't change the weather and flight service can't fly your airplane. Nearly every pilot ive known that says they make lots of flights over solid overcast layers also have a story to go along with it demonstrating why it's a bad idea. Some of them are then smart enough to get an instrument while others don't. We shall agree to disagree.

There are plenty of never again stories and NTSb reports that begin with the pilot deciding to venture on over a solid layer.

I flew for several years without an instrument and never once went over a solid layer. You won't find me encouraging it either.

If the conditions are not condusive to safe VFR flight then it is a "no go".

Every pilot I know of has stories of making questionable decisions. This is how you learn to set acceptable minimums for flight and stick to them. By not teaching your students to set minimums flying on top you are setting them up to learn the hard way, on their ouwn.

We can choose to disagree on this one, but not teaching the knowledge on how to fly legally and safe on top seems a bit counter productive to produce competent aviators.

Lots of stories about pilots getting into trouble scud running too. If proper conditions exist it is certainly much safer to be on top than scud running 500' off the deck. Not saying I have done that,:rolleyes: but things happen real fast! :yikes:

Last edited:
I make it a point to take all students up at least once in "VFR conditions."
Once they see what 3 mile vis looks like, they decide not to fly just because it's "VFR conditions."

I make it a point to take all students up at least once in "VFR conditions."
Once they see what 3 mile vis looks like, they decide not to fly just because it's "VFR conditions."

Yeah four and haze ain't too great either. Legal VFR can be actual IMC. BTDT.

So how does an instrument rating help you any if your engine quits if the visibility under the ceiling is indeed poor - or the ceiling is under a 1000 ft?

Likewise, if you are flying IFR and your navigation equipment fails, how are you any better off than someone flying VFR in the same scenario? Wouldn't both be able to request help from ATC? So far as I can see there isn't too much difference in probable outcomes whether those failure scenarios happen to VFR vs IFR flights.

Point taken on the navigation. (Other than a VFR pilot *may* perhaps have a bit less situational awareness [without reference to the ground] and proficiency in electronic nav than a seasoned instrument pilot.)

As for the power loss combined with low ceiling and/or poor vis... similarly screwed VFR or IFR. (Although the IFR pilot may be more likely to hit the ground in a favorable attitude.)

Geico is right, I'm just a big chicken who should stay on the ground.

Everyone has their risks that I'm willing to take. However, I'm with Jesse. If you want to fly VFR above a cloud layer, you should have an instrument rating. Even then, you can have potential issues.

There's a reason why it's illegal in a number of countries.

I try very hard not to fly over IFR conditions, and have only done so on one occasion to escape extreme oncoming weather. Flying on top of overcast VFR conditions is not, in my own opinion, unduly dangerous. If the big fan up front quits, you'll have to keep the shiny side up as you descend through the layer. Once under it you have all the options you did if you were under it in the first place. Moreover, being on top gives you the altitude to get that much closer to an acceptable landing field. If the fan quits it's an emergency, so in my opinion flying through the layer is the least of my worries. Honestly, if I feel disoriented I'll let go the controls. The airplane won't do anything I can't fi once I regain visibility.

I may not be Odin's gift to aviation (the way some CFI's think they are) but I've flown lots of places and hundreds of hours VFR. If all you're willing to do is fly on CAVU days, you won't get far the east.

I'd love to do the IR. If anyone wants to contribute about 13 AMUs to the Freebird IFR upgrade fund, do let me know.

One of the worst "VFR" days I ever experienced was climbing out of Shannon airport (Fredricksburg, VA).

I was on the gauges the entire climb and even level -- only things I could see were straight down.

I departed London, KY in VFR with morning haze. I was on instruments on climbout up to 8,500 where the haze dissapeared. The entire time up to altitude was a total white out. My body kept telling me I was in a constant steap left turn. With sweaty palms I ignored my body and kept a good isntrument scan going. I was happy to get above that stuff.

I've been over a scattered to broken layer many times with no issues, but when it goes overcast I turn around, find a hole and descend below it. Yeah, it's usually hot, bumpy and unpleasant. It also won't get me killed.

I agree with Steingar. VFR over IFR conditions is usually a no-go for me, but I've gone VFR over a VFR ceiling, and would do it again under the right circumstances. That said, I've only done it twice in 800 hours of flying, and I wouldn't do it without very good reason to believe I could get back down again VFR.

The first time was coming back from MCD with my first passenger after passing the checkride. We'd been beaten up pretty badly under the deck going up there and I wasn't in the mood for any more of that, plus I really wanted flight following. Downstate it was CAVU and forecast to be clearing everywhere. MCD was under a "sucker hole". I climbed up to 7500, fully expecting to be on top of a solid layer for nearly 100 miles, but it was already starting to break up by the time we were abeam GLR. A beautiful evening flight, but back then and over that route ZMP couldn't see us except above about 8000 MSL, so we cruised at 9500.

The second time was about two years ago, 57D to 3DA. There was a lake effect overcast coming together over the whole eastern Thumb with some turbulence underneath, but it was severe clear over FNT and all points west. I climbed through a hole and cruised on top of the solid layer until just east of FNT, though I kept listening to nearby AWOSes and making sure I still had outs.

VFR over the top is as safe as anything in flying -- as long as you are reasonably sure that you have "outs".

VFR over the top is as safe as anything in flying -- as long as you are reasonably sure that you have "outs".

Precisely. During Summer mornings nearly all the valleys between Seven springs and Carlisle fill with morning fog, resulting in CLG 100, 1/4 mile vis.

Meanwhile it's clear and a million overhead.

So "Never go over an overcast layer VFR!" misses the essential qualifier: ".. unless you have other options."

We can choose to disagree on this one, but not teaching the knowledge on how to fly legally and safe on top seems a bit counter productive to produce competent aviators.
There are very few situations where I believe it is safe and prudent to be flying above a solid overcast layer without a hole in sight (without an IR). Very very few. Also keep in mind that you're doing such flying in pretty capable aircraft with lots of range. Not everyone has those abilities. I'm also willing to bet that you've gotten yourself backed into a corner at least once by doing such flights. Often times people get out of those corners purely on luck. I'd rather not encourage people to explore those corners when they are very easy to avoid.

I teach people not to continue flight over solid cloud layers if they do not always see at least two ways down. If they only see one way down it's time to come down or turn around. If they see no ways down they've already screwed up.

I also teach these pilots how they can stay alive if they do screw up and get into instrument weather. I teach them to use all the resources they can and admit they screwed up. I do not teach them how to do it without ATC knowing (which sadly many people do).

You're seriously confusing what a student should be taught.

There are plenty of NTSB reports that start with a non-instrument rated pilot choosing to fly over a solid overcast layer. By making that decision you've already completed a link in the accident chain. Weather isn't yet a perfect science and even those with the strongest understandings of weather are often surprised.

There are some pretty terrifying reports where people have been forced to climb until they can't climb anymore. Or people that never were able to find a way down. Etc. Etc.

Why would I encourage someone to operate with such risks when I can instead encourage them to get an instrument rating and greatly increase their ability to do such things safely?

If a pilot justifies the fact that they've scared themselves skud running or flying on top of layers by saying that is how you learn - that's just sad.

Lots of stories about pilots getting into trouble scud running too. If proper conditions exist it is certainly much safer to be on top than scud running 500' off the deck. Not saying I have done that,:rolleyes: but things happen real fast! :yikes:
If your only option is to skud run or go over the top of a solid overcast layer - it's not a flight one should be doing without an instrument rating - where you'll have the ability to shoot an approach somewhere if need be.

I fly in insturment weather all the time and I've shown students how quickly VFR can become not VFR. I then teach them how to avoid those situations with wide margins. Fortunately my students appreciate that advice.

Everyone has their risks that I'm willing to take. However, I'm with Jesse. If you want to fly VFR above a cloud layer, you should have an instrument rating. Even then, you can have potential issues.

There's a reason why it's illegal in a number of countries.

Neither Ted or I are safety paranoid freaks - but you'll notice we both agree on this one. We agree because we've seen how weather can change in a hurry.

Sometimes I run into high time private pilots without instrument ratings that for some reason have convinced themselves that an instrument rating in the midwest is without value. That's just ridiculous. I use mine all the time to make flights I couldn't have without it.

Last edited:
I think we can draw the divide on the "it's safe" debate: Does your plane have an autopilot?

Not mine. I've gone on the gauges more than once, but I'm lucky enough to have had a moderate amount of basic hood training, even doing a simulated approach.

I teach people not to continue flight over solid cloud layers if they do not always see at least two ways down. If they only see one way down it's time to come down or turn around. If they see no ways down they've already screwed up.

Where you live that may be very wise indeed. Throw in some rocks and the picture changes considerably.

There are plenty of NTSB reports that start with a non-instrument rated pilot choosing to fly over a solid overcast layer. By making that decision you've already completed a link in the accident chain. Weather isn't yet a perfect science and even those with the strongest understandings of weather are often surprised.

Lots of NTSB reports featuring IR rated pilots doing the same thing. Try sometime to take off without at least one link in the accident chain. It is a pretty damn rare thing for me.

There are some pretty terrifying reports where people have been forced to climb until they can't climb anymore. Or people that never were able to find a way down. Etc. Etc.

Admittedly, this scenario happened to me on my one flight over IFR conditions. That said, I had several outs that didn't involve heading into IMC, including diverting to clearer conditions. I lucked out on that one, but was ready to divert at any second, and had the diversion planned (in my case it was toward lower terrain with correspondingly lowered obscuration).

Why would I encourage someone to operate with such risks when I can instead encourage them to get an instrument rating and greatly increase their ability to do such things safely?

Because if you own a VFR-only aircraft, the barrier to the IR is quite high. So what do you do? Hang it up, or do things you might not like but can do safely?

If a pilot justifies the fact that they've scared themselves skud running or flying on top of layers by saying that is how you learn - that's just sad.

If they've scared themselves, yes. If they've operated with a number of outs and safe outcomes, maybe not so bad.

If your only option is to skud run or go over the top of a solid overcast layer - it's not a flight one should be doing without an instrument rating - where you'll have the ability to shoot an approach somewhere if need be.

Try flying low over the hills on a hot day, then tell me about it.

Neither Ted or I are safety paranoid freaks - but you'll notice we both agree on this one. We agree because we've seen how weather can change in a hurry.

Azure and I are fairly high time VFR pilots, and we agree. Using your reasoning, we must be correct.

Sometimes I run into high time private pilots without instrument ratings that for some reason have convinced themselves that an instrument rating in the midwest is without value. That's just ridiculous. I use mine all the time to make flights I couldn't have without it.

The only pilots who think an instrument fating is without value are either idiots or flying where the wx is predominantly CAVU. That said, someone is who says an airplane is without value sans instrument rating is similarly deluded.

The only pilots who think an instrument fating is without value are either idiots or flying where the wx is predominantly CAVU. That said, someone is who says an airplane is without value sans instrument rating is similarly deluded.
I fly all kinds of aircraft that aren't appropriate for instrument flight. They're great. I just don't take them over solid overcast layers where I can't see a way down. I never need to get anywhere that bad.

What does the freebird have for avionics?

I think we can draw the divide on the "it's safe" debate: Does your plane have an autopilot?

??? a VFR pilot in IMC using an autopilot is still a VFR pilot in IMC. The autopilot will fail.

Yes, I use the autopilot when IFR, both IMC and VMC. It has failed in heading hold twice. When will it fail in attitude or altitude hold? Dunno, but it will fail sooner or later.

I fly all kinds of aircraft that aren't appropriate for instrument flight. They're great. I just don't take them over solid overcast layers where I can't see a way down. I never need to get anywhere that bad.

There are whole seasons where the inability to fly over an undercast means I don't go very far east or south. Rocks make weather. You can get under, but it is murky, bumpy, hot and uncomfortable. Go over, and you have smooth, cool VFR conditions. And yes, you can count on the obscuration breaking up when the rocks do. Only way I've ever done the on top thing. I try very, very hard not to fly over IFR conditions, and like I said, did it only once in duress.

What does the freebird have for avionics?

Absolutely nothing, sans a VFR-only GPS. 13 AMUs puts in a 430 and its indicator, while supplies last.

No Com radio? No VOR? No ADF?

2 comms, one part of the VFR GPS/comm. I don't think of those as IFR gear, which I why I didn't mention them, sorry.

No VOR or ADF. So, a comm (King of some variety), a GPS comm (King VFR GPS comm, POS at that) and a working marker beacon in the audio panel. I'm told that the aircraft has a heated pitot that needs only a switch and circuit breaker to function.

There are cheaper alternatives to IR-ing the aircraft, but none include any sort of backup. Doing it without GPS seems daft in this day and age. The FAA may not be decommissioning the VORs, but they seem to be content to let them die the slow death of neglect.

There are cheaper alternatives to IR-ing the aircraft, but none include any sort of backup. Doing it without GPS seems daft in this day and age.

Completely agree.

While it's certainly possible to hand fly a C150 IMC with a single VOR and an NDB, it doesn't pass the reality test.

For actual IMC, my personal Minimum equipment is:

• IFR GPS
  • Autopilot
  • XM WX
  • Spherics
I'd like dual vacuum or an electric TC, but...

Thanks to the OP for posting.

All the critics- note that he engaged ATC for the descent through cloud. In the world of a non IR pilot, he did well. And really, he was going to penetrate that layer eventually- either with fuel or without, with ATC or without.
For impromptu performance by a VFR-only limited pilot, this was pretty decent.

We don't have to tell him to get an IR. He knows it. I think the pucker was enough.
We don't have to tell him to plan better. He obviously "gets it".

Completely agree.

While it's certainly possible to hand fly a C150 IMC with a single VOR and an NDB, it doesn't pass the reality test.

For actual IMC, my personal Minimum equipment is:

• IFR GPS
  • Autopilot
  • XM WX
  • Spherics
I'd like dual vacuum or an electric TC, but...

Well, if I'm lucky I'll have the 430 (like I said 13 AMU's for the privilege). Might re-up my XM subscription, since it sounds like a damn-handy thing for IFR. But no autopilot no way, can't afford it (can't even afford the 430). And I don't even know what a spheric is, save an adjective that describes a globe.

+1. I teach my students not to fly over an overcast layer period. There is no guarantee you'll find a way back down. If you want to fly over cloud layers get an instrument rating. It's that simple.
That it good advice to them. Summer before last I climbed up to have an approaching layer below me. The forecast at the destination was that I should have been able to make a VFR decent. But I got there and it was not a VFR legal type of decent day. Glad I have an instrument ticket so that I could make the decent.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back