VFR over a broken layer

But the question is, by looking at a hole in the clouds, how do you know if you'll fit through legally?

But the question is, by looking at a hole in the clouds, how do you know if you'll fit through legally?

If only we had a calibrated measuring device...

Oh, wait! We did; but it was deleted upon request.

This is why I got an instrument rating. It makes these benign cloud layers a non-event. I fly over them, through them, between them and it just eliminates that thing from my list of **** to worry about (my worry then shifts to other things). I highly recommend the IR, flying IFR, and using it often.

Would I fly VFR over the top? As an IR pilot... heck yeah. :D

If you're VFR on FF, talking to the controllers and the IFR aircraft is talking to the same controllers wouldn't that concern be mitigated somewhat? Isn't that basically how IFR pilots avoid collisions in instrument conditions?

Although I suppose we might assume the VFR pilot in this scenario might not want to be talking to ATC... at least with his real tail number.

Mitigated somewhat? Yeah, somewhat, but that wouldn't be enough for me to start hugging clouds. The controller has no requirement here, except in Class B which is why it's Clear of Clouds there, not 2000.

This is why I got an instrument rating. It makes these benign cloud layers a non-event. I fly over them, through them, between them and it just eliminates that thing from my list of **** to worry about (my worry then shifts to other things). I highly recommend the IR, flying IFR, and using it often.

yup.....+100 on that.:yes:

Yep. It makes those OVC010 days flyable.

2,000 feet clearance is probably good. Also kinda arbitrary, but they had to publish something - some room for IFR traffic shooting out the side of a cloud is good to have. Just saying not to get too wrapped up in worrying if it's at least/ecactly 2,000 or more. Think more "is there enough room for me to climb through this hole, with a decent amount of clearance if someone else shows suddenly?"

Yeah, there's a lot of guesswork involved; we do the best we can.

I wouldn't necessarily. It would depend on where I was, and on how confident I was that I could get a pop-up to descend when I wanted to. In most parts of Michigan, I'd do it. Here in VT, I've had enough testy experiences with ZBW playing twenty questions or having me stand by indefinitely when trying to do an airborne pickup, not even a pop-up, that if I think I might need my IR at any time during the flight, I'll normally file and go IFR from the outset. Because the MIA is >5000 MSL, that's basically any time there is scattered or greater coverage near or below my cruising altitude... icing season excepted, of course.

I'd do the same in any unfamiliar airspace, or any airspace that I knew was busy. Granting pop-ups is workload permitting, and I'd rather not have to wait 15 minutes or whatever to get down.

I recommend just getting a IR, makes life easier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

I'm curious about something. Let's say you take off in marginal VFR and this marginal VFR contains a broken layer around 2,000 feet. You find a hole and get above and are in crystal clear skies. Your destination is also clear below 12,000. You are able to maintain contact with the ground but technically you are above the ceiling while traveling above the broken layer. Are you still legal?

There's can you? And should you? An instrument rating takes all the stress out of this kind of decision and provides a margin of safety in case the forecast isn't as expected.

There's can you? And should you? An instrument rating takes all the stress out of this kind of decision and provides a margin of safety in case the forecast isn't as expected.

To say nothing of those pesky unforecast TFR and restricted areas.

That is worth repeating. If that solid layer is still there when you reach your destination what are you going to do? But, flying under the layer in summer is usually no fun at all. Hot, bumpy, sweaty..... Decisions, decisions. :D

You will always fit through the hole legally. :D How can anyone prove otherwise later?

To say nothing of those pesky unforecast TFR and restricted areas.

Only if you actually file. I suspect some of the advice here was to have the rating in your back pocket in case you got stuck on top.

Note that while ATC is no SUPPOSED to route you into hot restricted areas and MOA's it's still 100% on the pilot to stay out of TFRs and other P areas.

Back