VFR into Teterboro

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
Ill be flying to NYC in early December and my passenger wants to go to Teterboro. Ill be flying a VFR only 172 and am interested to hear if anybody here has ever done that. Coming from the Eastern Shore, what would be the best way to go about that? I'm a CFI but don't venture VFR near class B often.

I've gone in there VFR a million times in my past life. Stay below the shelf and head to the Alpine tower. Be at the tower at 1400' and call the tower. Report Alpine inbound.

Be careful with any new TFRs with Trump in the area.

ETA: of course that was 20+ years ago so things may have changed.

Easy to get in and out. The toughest part will be paying the fees.

This.

And be aware that fuel is prohibitively expensive, then again in the grand scheme of things you can hit up KCDW and pay much less, it's only 15min away by car.

Gone in and out VFR most times, don't like the routing they give me IFR. Easy stuff, no worries, just keep a eye on your altitude vs the shelf.

I flew VFR into TEB from the north last month. Had planned to continue Flight Following all the way to TWR freq. but was told unable about 30 miles out. I thought that strange because the day before I'd flow to Pennsylvania and used those same NY controllers for FF.

Anyway, contacted TEB tower at Alpine Tower and arrival was normal Class D, except that all the other planes are jets. Steep fees from (very friendly) Meridian FBO waved if you pay $7.30/gal. This week I received an additional $50 bill via mail from Port Authority of NY/NJ, but was able to cut it in half on phone explaining my Light Sport doesn't weigh 6,000 lbs.

Be aware of the Trump TFR, don't try fly the Hudson River Corridor.

VFR is VFR and not that much more challenging than any other airport,untill you get the bill for all the fees.

up the river and call them when abeam central park they will tell you what to do know were the bridges are and there name as well a few towers to the north .the corridor does have a tfr till jan 23 and might need some study . eta there is a good thread going on now on poa

Or fly in the (not-unfriendly) Class B and ask for a handoff to TEB. Should be simple that way. Be familiar with the TFR as others mentioned, and carry a TAC or Heli route chart for the area...that has the most detail of landmarks. Don't be intimidated by a Class B. I prefer to fly in it rather than under it here in NYC, and the controllers are quite helpful.

Or fly in the (not-unfriendly) Class B and ask for a handoff to TEB. Should be simple that way. Be familiar with the TFR as others mentioned, and carry a TAC or Heli route chart for the area...that has the most detail of landmarks. Don't be intimidated by a Class B. I prefer to fly in it rather than under it here in NYC, and the controllers are quite helpful.
Indeed. Some of the most friendly and helpful controllers out there.

If you're a cfi it shouldn't be a problem. We went in vfr in a mooney and they squeezed us in between a few jet arrivals and departures. If you drop your passenger and don't pay the fee NJ will find a way to bill you a month later.

Easy to get in and out. The toughest part will be paying the fees.

Yep. TRACON controllers are the best if you need IFR or Class B clearance. The Trump TFR takes out the ability to fly up the river. Fees are priced for the bizjet crowd (and then some).

james .its has been 18 years since i moved . has boston taken over jfk,leg,isp.teb .and a bunch of others ? your post was not clear.boston and muncton were always good as well

Back