VFR into PHL?

jmarine225

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jmarine225
Good evening. Has anyone flown VFR into PhL? I have a Piper Cherokee and I’m looking to fly in for some Phillies games. I read the reviews on ForeFlight but wasnt sure how the controllers feel about a Cherokee coming in or will I get vectored for an hour until other traffic lands. Same with departure. VFR departure out of that airspace.

I don’t have any PHL-specific information experience, but having been to other Class B’s…

Know what IAS you can do, max (in cruise, and on approach) - they may ask.

IFR is often easier. At places like this, I find that controllers can be rusty on VFR procedures.

Study the ground diagram in advance. Be sure to have a pencil and paper availiabe.

When departing, you’ll likely want to call up clearance delivery before ground.

They typically put slower airplanes on the north/south runway. If they give you a speed fly it as long as possible, and tell them when you need to slow. There is a GA airport not to far to the north that might be cheaper.

Easy airport for GA IFR or VFR. Generally will use 08-26 or 17-35 runways. Atlantic is along the 08-26 runway making for a sort of airport-in-an-airport much like BWI.

Expect specific taxi instructions particularly leaving if using 35 - and read back and follow the hold short instructions - you may get several on the way out. Inbound tends to be easier taxi due to layout.

Easy airport for GA IFR or VFR. Generally will use 08-26 or 17-35 runways. Atlantic is along the 08-26 runway making for a sort of airport-in-an-airport much like BWI.

Expect specific taxi instructions particularly leaving if using 35 - and read back and follow the hold short instructions - you may get several on the way out. Inbound tends to be easier taxi due to layout.
:yeahthat:

I’ve been into PHL IFR but I don’t see how VFR would have made any difference. Controllers were quite friendly.

I used wings field when flying into the Philadelphia area. Avoid all the heavy metal.

I used wings field when flying into the Philadelphia area. Avoid all the heavy metal.
I also flew into Wings when visiting Philly. Use flight following before you get close to the class B, and the rest is easy.

You avoid the heavy metal when flying into PHL too. Like other Class Bs and Cs that handle GA well, they send you to the runways that are close to the FBO and not the ones being used by the big iron. The video shows the end of my flight - you can see all the traffic I had to deal with :D. I was IFR but I would expect the exact same treatment VFR.

Plus, if you are going to be in downtown Philly and stay for more than a day, unless someone is picking you up, you may even find the transportation cost differential - whether car rental, Uber/Lyft, or train - makes the net cost less.

Flew VFR into PHL with a friend a few years ago. Despite a good 15-20kt crosswind, they still had us land on 35 instead of the more favorable 26. We were asked to keep it fast pretty much all the way to the threshold. I wondered if they were concerned about people confusing 27R with 26 and landing on the wrong runway.

You might want to check fees. A friend we t in a few years ago for a concert and walked funny for a few days afterwards.

They typically put slower airplanes on the north/south runway. If they give you a speed fly it as long as possible, and tell them when you need to slow. There is a GA airport not to far to the north that might be cheaper.
I used to go into "North" Philly (PNE). See if that doesn't work for you.

You might want to check fees. A friend we t in a few years ago for a concert and walked funny for a few days afterwards.
It’s probably $60 for the day and the stadium is a quick drive from phl. Report back on fees. Dropoff is usually less than that and I think it included a daily fee. When you depart its easier if runway 8 is usable.

Flew VFR into PHL with a friend a few years ago. Despite a good 15-20kt crosswind, they still had us land on 35 instead of the more favorable 26. We were asked to keep it fast pretty much all the way to the threshold. I wondered if they were concerned about people confusing 27R with 26 and landing on the wrong runway.
Just wondering. Did you ask for 26?

I suspect even then they might have offered one if the 27s. As soon as I saw the airport layout, I figured they don’t like to use 26. Partly the potential for confusion you mentioned, but also the prospect of a go-around right over the terminal. Seen similar at other airports.I had a strong westerly wind for my departure. They gave me 27L.

I would imagine that stubby 8/26 is a pretty lonely runway since the Piedmonster got rid of the Dash 8's.

Just wondering. Did you ask for 26?

I suspect even then they might have offered one if the 27s. As soon as I saw the airport layout, I figured they don’t like to use 26. Partly the potential for confusion you mentioned, but also the prospect of a go-around right over the terminal. Seen similar at other airports.I had a strong westerly wind for my departure. They gave me 27L.
Have landed on 26 many times, so not sure about the dislike.

Have also had to use the 27s - 26 didn’t exist when started flying to PHL in 90s. Nice to be #9 for departure in a line of heavies going to Europe at 6 pm in a C170. Got a few offers over the air to trade mounts at times.

Have never had a request to use a better aligned runway refused. ATC may warn of a delay, but usually it’s never as bad as advertised. Up 20 knots xwind generally leave it alone but after that, no thanks. 15 in tailwheel.

I learned to fly at PNE in 1980. Have been there a few times since. It is a nice airport, and only a 20 minute Uber to the stadium complex.

PHL controllers do a good job with GA. We have a pilot that commutes in flying his RV-7.

RW 08 is takeoff only. RW 26 is land only. Otherwise they’ll use RW 17/35. As someone else said, watch your taxi instructions.

Are there any concerns with GA into KPHL when the is a POTUS TFR around KILG?

Back