Vent Thread

Took ya five minutes to read my post? You must be a slow reader then... :dunno:

There's another 5 minutes of my life that I won't get back. :(

That seems like a highly inappropriate comment, especially from an administrator. I'm very disappointed. No wonder this board is turning into an attack site.

Also, not conjecture. At what point am I and others allowed to make comments based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. I have lost friends in aviation. Good friends. Some were lost due to bad training, some to bad judgement, and others the alligator just got them.
I don't think much of the problem is due to someone's absolute experience. The problem comes when someone's own perceived skill and the capabilities of the airplane are not up to the task at hand. Sure you might be able to land in a higher crosswind than someone else but if the conditions exceed your skill you'll go off the runway just as surely as a less skilled pilot in a lower crosswind.

I have a theory that one of the reasons that high time professional pilots sometimes come to grief in small airplanes is because they are used to flying something that can handle conditions their small airplane can't handle. "I can climb over the mountains in a snowstorm in my work airplane so I should be able to do it in my Bonanza..."

Took ya five minutes to read my post? You must be a slow reader then... :dunno:

Hey now! No bullying! :D:D:D (it's a joke for the emoticon reading challenged)

I have a theory that one of the reasons that high time professional pilots sometimes come to grief in small airplanes is because they are used to flying something that can handle conditions their small airplane can't handle. "I can climb over the mountains in a snowstorm in my work airplane so I should be able to do it in my Bonanza..."

An interweb thingy analogy: those of us who are experts in our chosen technical field are automatically expert in any subject we wish to post on. It must be true 'cause we say so. Yes, I'm guilty of it. :redface:

Indeed. I find even the FAA checkrides to be suspect. I mostly know private pilots, a handful of commercial pilots, and just a couple of ATPs. The majority of the pilots that I refuse to fly with again are the higher rated ones that are "good sticks", while I'm more comfortable with some lesser rated ones that took multiple shots to get the PPL. Why is that? Being naturally good at something seems to correlate with poor risk assessment and decision making. The "good sticks" have no respect for the airplane and the weather. They're the ones doing loops over ramp area. They're the ones scud running & popping through clouds without a filed flight plan, etc. Let us check those accident reports and see what the leading causes of accidents are... :)

Hmmm... You might just be overgeneralizing a wee but there.

That seems like a highly inappropriate comment, especially from an administrator. I'm very disappointed. No wonder this board is turning into an attack site.

I suppose you can take it that way, though it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Or you can take it as a personal opinion that the thread as a whole doesn't offer a lot of value. Or you can take it as a subtle suggestion that the sniping doesn't add value to the discussion and perhaps those involved ought to think twice before the thread gets closed.

Not meant as an attack on you, just a note that the post was not intended in the manner as you apparently read it.

An interweb thingy analogy: those of us who are experts in our chosen technical field are automatically expert in any subject we wish to post on. It must be true 'cause we say so. Yes, I'm guilty of it. :redface:
Does that mean I shouldn't be giving the passengers advice about petroleum engineering? :idea:

Does that mean I shouldn't be giving the passengers advice about petroleum engineering? :idea:

Please, give them advise and insist they take it. Whittle the competition down a bit for us, will ya?

I agree fully. In my case, I feel I'm less safe in a 172 than I am in the Navajo. Not that the plane is less safe, that I am less safe as a pilot.

I agree fully. In my case, I feel I'm less safe in a 172 than I am in the Navajo. Not that the plane is less safe, that I am less safe as a pilot.

Experience in type certainly counts for a lot. A few weeks ago, I found out how important recency in type can be too. When I renewed my club currency in the 182, my landings were crap, in spite of the fact that 182 time is a significant percentage of my experience. (I flew Civil Air Patrol planes a lot up until a few years ago.)

Experience in type certainly counts for a lot. A few weeks ago, I found out how important recency in type can be too. When I renewed my club currency in the 182, my landings were crap, in spite of the fact that 182 time is a significant percentage of my experience. (I flew Civil Air Patrol planes a lot up until a few years ago.)

I've got 900 hours in the Aztec, more than any other type. I can pull off better landings in the Navajo today, simply because it's what I fly mostly anymore. So, I agree fully. :)

Hey now! No bullying! :D:D:D (it's a joke for the emoticon reading challenged)
Just a side note and not really a comment on your joke in particular.

Bullying usually starts with a joke. It's a way to sort of test the waters. If people object -- it was only a joke. If it hits home -- go for it. If it falls flat -- forget about it.

I think both of the ignore features are the greatest thing since pop-up toast. It's like programming the remote control for the TV, at some point you know what you want to watch and what you don't. Even if there's an occasional quote or other reference, that's much better than having the thead reappear over and over when there's nothing there of interest. No harm, no foul, play on.

Problem with that is that if that user gets quoted in another post, you can still see it.

I have found that ignoring a user really doesn't work all that well.

Just a side note and not really a comment on your joke in particular.

Bullying usually starts with a joke. It's a way to sort of test the waters. If people object -- it was only a joke. If it hits home -- go for it. If it falls flat -- forget about it.

There is a VERY fine line between calling someone a Bully and dealing with the {offended} party that has VERY thin skin... IMHO.

Really now? right up to the point you add the very useful part about:

thats not so much of an opinion as much as... nevermind :mad2:

You may not like what I said, but at least it's about the thread. Your contribution seems to be just to pick the nits of my posts. So be it, I don't have thin skin let'er rip. of course most cry loudest when it's their foot getting stepped on.

cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

So, my wife goes out for lunch, with one of her friends and brings home a Chockolate Chip cookie WITH Blueberries baked inside.
WHAT?!?!?
That's like.... apostasy, or something else, really bad.
It didn't taste terrible but it could have.

So, my wife goes out for lunch, with one of her friends and brings home a Chockolate Chip cookie WITH Blueberries baked inside.
WHAT?!?!?
That's like.... apostasy, or something else, really bad.
It didn't taste terrible but it could have.

At least chocolate chip cookies and blueberries are both sweet. Bagels are savory, and always were until you $&@!!%$&@!! goyim got ahold of them. Blueberry bagels. Yuuuuch!

At least chocolate chip cookies and blueberries are both sweet. Bagels are savory, and always were until you $&@!!%$&@!! goyim got ahold of them. Blueberry bagels. Yuuuuch!

No kidding! Give me a nice everything with lox and a schmear.
Bagels don't come from a grocery store, Einstein's, Panera, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Horton's, or most any place else the masses could name.

No kidding! Give me a nice everything with lox and a schmear.
Bagels don't come from a grocery store, Einstein's, Panera, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Horton's, or most any place else the masses could name.

Tell me about it. The nearest good bagels are at least a Free Bird hour away. Makes a good excuse to o flying, but means I don't have fresh bagels as often as I like.

And bagels go stale fast.

Back