Vent Thread

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Wtf, how am I the bad guy on that Sara thread?? She takes years and 5 check rides and spends 50K on a PPl and then comes here and posts TWO self congragraitory threads, one of which claiming she obtained more experiance than "most" ever will.

I simply ask wtf that's supposed to mean and everyone jumps on ME? I left all that other crap alone. Didn't say a word. Phrased the question in the nicest conceivable way and still, I'm the bad guy...really??

Fricken rant off.

Feel free to use my thread here to rant about your own issues.

"When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering."

From a cheesy little self-help book by yet-another-guru-cum-religious-type called "The Four Agreements", which are fairly well-written "agreements" to make with yourself in life, in and of themselves, but lose something if you add his wishy-washy pseudo-religious mysticism to them by reading the whole (thankfully short) book. ;)

That line in particular nails a whole lot of people's problems in one sentence. :)

Wtf, how am I the bad guy on that Sara thread?? She takes years and 5 check rides and spends 50K on a PPl and then comes here and posts TWO self congragraitory threads, one of which claiming she obtained more experiance than "most" ever will.

No worries Captain. Carry on.

Last edited:
Sara altruistically put up a thread encouraging other student pilots to move through their difficulties, using her own difficulties as an example. Several made it into something about their egos. Indeed, their egos were so trodden that they needed a second thread about what went wrong with the first.

I can only hope this one either dies a quiet death or segways into a discussion of the correct cooking temperature for rutabagas.

I don't want to offend anybody, or get on the wrong side of the conversation, but...

I only hope she wasn't signed off because people were getting tired of dealing with her...(one time "begging" her instructor to sign her off)

I've seen it before and it didn't end well...:nonod:

I simply ask wtf that's supposed to mean and everyone jumps on ME? I left all that other crap alone. Didn't say a word. Phrased the question in the nicest conceivable way and still, I'm the bad guy...really??

Fricken rant off.

Personally I have been cheering her along... but...

I didn't know there were 5 checkrides and 50K spent on a PPC.. :eek:

Cap, I was right there with you in your question, and I think most misunderstood your intent. I took it as a question on her metrics, not a challenge. I am not familiar with her story, but I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could, as a beginning pilot think they actually had endured more than most. She was perhaps meaning more than most student pilots, but that's not what she typed.

Wow, I posted a little while ago on that thread, and now I see this. Seems to me like you're taking things too personal. So what if there was more than one thread? So what if she used some hyperbole? Who cares?

Perhaps your question was meant with good intentions. Given your responses both there and here, I doubt it.

Personally, as a new guy in town here, you have given me a pretty lousy impression of what this forum is like. I guess I will have to stick around to find out if there is more of the former than the latter of what is described in the quote in my sig. We'll see...

Cameron, let it go. Is it really worth getting this worked up about?

No, and I'm over it. That was sort of the point of this thread. Although I do realize I sorta left the room to shout by going in the corner.

: )

Thanks for the kind words above folks. Now, let's hear some venting! (about your gripes I mean)

Thanks for the kind words above folks. Now, let's hear some venting! (about your gripes I mean)

Hmmmmm.:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

How about a newbie thats been here since Mar 2012 with 900+ posts.:confused:

Or the "other" newbie, who talks down to everyone.:confused:

Other then that, life is wonderful.. :lol::)

Last edited:
Wow, I do have a lot of posts...

Hadn't really noticed that. I should come up with something special for 1000.

Fricken rant off.

A couple or three comments. I know you don't want constructive (or otherwise) criticism but welcome to the internet.

You've made a judgment about a post and chosen to post a negative response. Do you really expect to walk away without taking a shot or two?

Do you really think you phrased that response in the nicest conceivable way? If so I suggest some training is in order for you if you wish to do things in the "nicest conceivable way." It may well take years of training in your particular case.

Maybe you should stop posting for a week or two and ask yourself why you think you own this thread and need to instruct others on how to use it? We're all free to post as we please on this interweb thingy. Perhaps you should embrace that concept.

Looked at Captain's profile out of curiosity. Here is what I saw:
Captain has not made any friends yet
From what little I've been here, I can't for the life of me figure out why...

Fricken rant off.

1. Everyone is a bad guy, to someone, about some subject, on here. Get over it.

2. I generally prefer to start my own rant threads.

Wow, I do have a lot of posts...

Hadn't really noticed that. I should come up with something special for 1000.

Oh wow, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I just passed that. I want a prize!

Sara is enthusiastic and she shows it. You wanted to prick her balloon and made your comment. Actually, what you were doing was bullying her. You didn't like her enthusiasm and wanted to force a show-down where she trotted out chapter and verse to support her (probably extravagant) high. Once started, such a recitation becomes a duck shoot where anyone around can always find something to criticize. Simply stated, that is bullying. We don't tolerate bullying very well on this board.

Oh, I can hear you spluttering already. But-- but-- what I say is true. Possibly. Hard to dispute the truthfulness of a question. That is one of the reasons it is difficult to defend against. Nevertheless, lets assume your connotation is correct -- that Sara was over-enthused. So? Who cares? Usually the statements of bullies are truthful to some extent -- "Why are you stuttering all the time?" Still bullying. Still not tolerable.

Nice? What is the meaning of nice to you? "Admirable, amiable, approved, attractive, becoming, considerate..." I call your question a challenge. It is the same as standing beside the chain-link fence lobbing a challenge intended to deflate the self-esteem of someone outside your own clique. Trying to gain attention at the expense of someone else. Trying to hurt someone else.

We want you to be a member of this forum. We want good and thoughtful and considered comments. We don't want bullying. When you feel the temptation to burst someone's balloon, DON'T DO IT.

Sara is enthusiastic and she shows it. You wanted to prick her balloon and made your comment. Actually, what you were doing was bullying her. You didn't like her enthusiasm and wanted to force a show-down where she trotted out chapter and verse to support her (probably extravagant) high. Once started, such a recitation becomes a duck shoot where anyone around can always find something to criticize. Simply stated, that is bullying. We don't tolerate bullying very well on this board.

Oh, I can hear you spluttering already. But-- but-- what I say is true. Possibly. Hard to dispute the truthfulness of a question. That is one of the reasons it is difficult to defend against. Nevertheless, lets assume your connotation is correct -- that Sara was over-enthused. So? Who cares? Usually the statements of bullies are truthful to some extent -- "Why are you stuttering all the time?" Still bullying. Still not tolerable.

Nice? What is the meaning of nice to you? "Admirable, amiable, approved, attractive, becoming, considerate..." I call your question a challenge. It is the same as standing beside the chain-link fence lobbing a challenge intended to deflate the self-esteem of someone outside your own clique. Trying to gain attention at the expense of someone else. Trying to hurt someone else.

We want you to be a member of this forum. We want good and thoughtful and considered comments. We don't want bullying. When you feel the temptation to burst someone's balloon, DON'T DO IT.

Wow - very well stated. Perhaps I have hope...

I will try harder.

And here I thought this was going to be about better airflow into the cabin.
Boy, was I wrong. :)

I don't want to offend anybody, or get on the wrong side of the conversation, but...

I only hope she wasn't signed off because people were getting tired of dealing with her...(one time "begging" her instructor to sign her off)

:yeahthat:

or segways into a discussion of the correct cooking temperature for rutabagas.
... just don't use sucrose. :lol: (Oh, and as far as the temp for cooking them? No clue).

Exactly....gets to the point!

I guess I'm going to have to cook up some popcorn and go find that other thread.

Fricken rant off.

I've read the thread you're referring to now.

It can be hard to know how we come across to others. And as a nitpicker myself, I know that it can be hard to know when it's appropriate, and when it's not.

Sara altruistically put up a thread encouraging other student pilots to move through their difficulties, using her own difficulties as an example. Several made it into something about their egos. Indeed, their egos were so trodden that they needed a second thread about what went wrong with the first.

I can only hope this one either dies a quiet death or segways into a discussion of the correct cooking temperature for rutabagas.

From food network website:
Toss 1 large peeled and cubed rutabaga with 3 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper on a baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees F until golden and soft, 40 minutes. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and chopped parsley.

but but but...what if it's a water balloon?

(sorry, just couldn't resist when I read "balloon"!)

I've read the thread you're referring to now.

It can be hard to know how we come across to others. And as a nitpicker myself, I know that it can be hard to know when it's appropriate, and when it's not.

Goes back years and years to that classic cartoon..."on the internet, no one knows if you're a dog"

And here I thought this was going to be about better airflow into the cabin.
Boy, was I wrong. :)

Me too I just had a quiz (pre-check out) about vents in Cessnas. Teller even helped me by explaining why they are behind the strut (no ram air). The IA even got up on the opposite wing yesterday, we each took a cap off, he showed me the rubber seal and four little holes, we discussed fuel flow vs air vents vs fuel expansion.

Oh yah and the IA is a totally hilarious guy. He had this to say to me:

Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and most of them are full of ****.

We don't tolerate bullying very well on this board.
Yes, yes we do. A majority of this board is made up of "bullies"

Still bullying. Still not tolerable.
Pot calling the kettle black? I recall a thread in which you slandered young pilots and student pilots for being too inexperienced to be considered pilots (I do not remember your exact words admittedly)

We all can take some of that advice, even you.

The moral is, this is the internet. People are sometimes mean. Suck it up buttercup.

Usually followed by, "And no one wants to hear yours."
I've always heard it as "Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one but we don't all want to know about it" admittedly not as catchy.

Yes, yes we do. A majority of this board is made up of "bullies"

Pot calling the kettle black? I recall a thread in which you slandered young pilots and student pilots for being too inexperienced to be considered pilots (I do not remember your exact words admittedly)

We all can take some of that advice, even you.

The moral is, this is the internet. People are sometimes mean. Suck it up buttercup.

Austin is an American hero. If that's true what she said about young pilots - well, Ill keep my mouth shut.

Back