Vehicle Anti-theft Device

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
Who knew I purchased my used Corolla with the top-of-the-line anti-theft package?

According to reports one man tapped a gun on the passenger window and another forced the victim out taking his keys. The two foolagins then hopped in and tried their best Gone in 60 Seconds poses. However, since neither knew what the third pedal and funny round shift knob were for the car did not get far. The victim flagged down another motorist who phoned police as the two criminals exited the vehicle and ran. Fortunately, they left the key.

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2014-toyota-corolla-saves-itself-being-carjcaked
Bwahaha!

Yeah, this has come up every now and then. Surprising to me is the number of people that can't drive a stick.

Yeah, this has come up every now and then. Surprising to me is the number of people that can't drive a stick.

Not only that, but it's amazing how many people have no clue - none - about what a transmission or clutch do, and that the car is actually shifting for them. Sometimes many times a mile.

Guess that's what we get when we build cars that are as smooth as today's cars. Complete disconnect between driver and machine.

I get these people in my motorcycle classes.

Student: "Ok Coach Ralph, so let me get this straight.... When I am riding the motorcycle, I have to squeeze the clutch thingy, then shift, while still riding?"

Me: "Yep. And you gotta do a lot of other things at the same time, too. "

Not only that, but it's amazing how many people have no clue - none - about what a transmission or clutch do, and that the car is actually shifting for them. Sometimes many times a mile.

Guess that's what we get when we build cars that are as smooth as today's cars. Complete disconnect between driver and machine.

Student: "Ok Coach Ralph, so let me get this straight.... When I am riding the motorcycle, I have to squeeze the clutch thingy, then shift, while still riding?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think this would be the time to give them their money back and give them bus fare home...

I guess I was lucky to grow up during the muscle car period, motorcycles and sex was safe, and getting a drivers license meant I could now drive my car without worrying about getting caught driving without a license.

Last edited:
Who knew I purchased my used Corolla with the top-of-the-line anti-theft package?

Bwahaha!

We obviously need a new federal program to give assistance to these economically disadvantaged vehicle thieves. Why should their earning power be diminished simply because they have never had the opportunity to learn about manual transmissions?

That's not the top of the line antitheft package.

It's the secondary package. The top of the line is driving an ugly POS.

It's best if you have both (BTDT).

I really appreciated the manual transmission on the truck this morning pulling the 10,000 trailer on snow packed roads with an RVR in fog of about 040 and the 4WD engaged to keep it from even thinking about swapping ends.

Lovely morning to have an appointment to drop the 5th wheel off for maintenance.

Wasn't an automatic nor cruise control kind of morning...

I had someone try to steal my Yota rock crawler once, they got in, couldn't figure out all the sticks poking through the floorboards (5-speed, dual t-cases and an underdrive unit) or how to kill the brakes (front and rear line-lock), then they couldn't figure out how to get out (inside handles didn't work) so they called the cops. Those trash tried to arrest me for kidnapping, but my neighbors started showing up and had their own complaints about the thief. More cops showed up, the officer that tried to arrest me watched his son (the thief) get arrested. The next day we turned in a petition with over 15,000 signatures letting the county know that if that officer was seen in uniform again, he would die. He was fired, then moved after his son died in jail. Guess he shouldn't have used his son as a rat...

My car has no (variable) transmission at all. It's fun to throw the thing into reverse when someone is tailgating and have the backup lights come on.

Perhaps you should send them here...

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx700.aspx

...you can get the CTX700 in two versions: one with our conventional six-speed manual transmission, and one equipped with our unique automatic transmission, the revolutionary Honda Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT).

Amazingly, we get most of these students through the class and most end up being pretty good riders.

...or not...

Hell I drove a stick Jeep in Los Angeles this year. (I had my shoes and hook on of course)

You think I'm kidding?

One vehicle I had was a manual-everything Bronco II. Ugliest POS I've ever owned, hands down. Butt-ugly rusty blue. I got it for free because the previous owner didn't want to be seen in it.

When I got it, the ignition lock was broken, so it would start with no key.

I drove it repeatedly to junkyards in Oakland for parts.

It was never stolen. Ever. Never broken into. Never even looked at without making faces.

The thing is, it was pretty capable in sand, mud and snow. Short wheelbase, relatively light, part time 4WD, multiport fuel injection. I never had the guts to take it into serious rocks (the Dana 28 front end is notorious for breaking in that), but its next owner did. And it lasted over 1/4 million miles.

My 16 year old son inherited my 16 year old Jeep Wrangler. It's a stick. It took a while to teach him to shift worth a darn, but he got the hang of it. I like the fact that there are VERY few high school kids that can borrow it.

I put a lo-jack in my 370Z. The cops have something like a 98% recovery rate. It'd almost be fun if someone stole it.

I learned how to drive a manual transmission from riding my dirtbike. I already had the concept and operation down, it was the transition that was a bit tough.

I loved that car.

And get this, I can write in cursive, too!

My son drives a 1999 Mustang with a stick shift. No problem for him. Our daughter never learned, so she is limited to automatics. No problem for her, all she wants is a car big enough to carry the twins and all their "stuff". Jeep Commander and Ford Explorer for them. :D

I learned to drive standard on a farm tractor then a lightweight motorcycle then Dad's Ford Falcon wagon. My first car was a '65 Rambler 3 on the column. I would love to have that car today. Dumped it when I got married because the wife couldn't learn to drive it.
Got a Gremlin. Same 232 as the Rambler.
My first job was at a local florist. He handed me the keys to the bitchy old Ford van. Had a blast once I got the 3 on the column working. When the shift linkage broke, reached under, put it in third, drove it 8 miles back to the shop.

Bwahaha!

It's also a break your transmission device if you let a Manhattan non English speaking valet try to park it......... voice of experience here.

I learned to drive standard on a farm tractor then a lightweight motorcycle then Dad's Ford Falcon wagon. My first car was a '65 Rambler 3 on the column. I would love to have that car today. Dumped it when I got married because the wife couldn't learn to drive it.
Got a Gremlin. Same 232 as the Rambler.
My first job was at a local florist. He handed me the keys to the bitchy old Ford van. Had a blast once I got the 3 on the column working. When the shift linkage broke, reached under, put it in third, drove it 8 miles back to the shop.

I learned to drive in a 1963 Rambler with 3 on the tree and OD. Coupled to a non-slip differential that car didn't have enough power to spin the rear wheels, hence it was a great snow car. :D

It's also a break your transmission device if you let a Manhattan non English speaking valet try to park it......... voice of experience here.

Ugh!

I'm a young-un by forum standards, I think. I learned to drive stick after high school on my grandfather's Geo Metro. My first personal car was a Ford Probe (don't snicker, it had the best seat of any car I've driven, fit like a glove), also stick shift. Now I don't buy anything that's not stick shift. In fact, I settled for more miles than I wanted on my used Corolla because I had trouble finding stick shift.

I enjoy it: mechanically simpler, a hair better gas mileage on the cars I've owned, more interesting to drive, and a good anti-theft device as I've found out.

Back