Vegan jerky- any takers???

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
yep, my wife leans to the left. But the food I eat appears to help me be a little more healthy- at least compared to family members eating the "traditional" midwestern diet.

But I think she has gone TOO FRIGGEN FAR!

Wait- let me take a try....

.... dang that might go well with a beer ....

IMG_1980.JPG

Yeah I'd try it, as long as I had a cold one to wash it down, or to wash away the taste. Can you wrap it in lettuce?

Yea, that lettuce wrap idea just might work. Let me grab another beer first...

Wait, doesn't drinking beer with it defeat the entire purpose of eating it in the first place?

Wait, doesn't drinking beer with it defeat the entire purpose of eating it in the first place?

Balance. It's all in balance. Besides the jerky cancels out the beer right?

Yeah I'd try it, as long as I had a cold one to wash it down, or to wash away the taste. Can you wrap it in lettuce?
I'd take it if you wrapped it in lettuce. By lettuce I assume you mean 100 dollar bills.

I'd take it if you wrapped it in lettuce. By lettuce I assume you mean 100 dollar bills.

Not me. Don't think I'd even buy it. Maybe the OP did though. Or his wife did.

That looks like something that would be a drunk double dog dare. Otherwise I would never voluntarily eat that.

I think I'll pass. I'm not a big fan of soy. Soy sauce, yes. Soy beans, no.

IMG_1983.PNG

Brats or, well, it's a patty thing??

I'm always amused at the Vegan crowd and how they like to texturize their various concoctions to simulate the very meat that they're so adamantly against. :rofl:

I'm always amused at the Vegan crowd and how they like to texturize their various concoctions to simulate the very meat that they're so adamantly against. :rofl:
Not so much.

There are several local restaurants that serve vegetarian and vegan food. Very not meat and quite good.

I still like a meat- but the wife can cook very well without it.

There are several local restaurants that serve vegetarian and vegan food. Very not meat and quite good.
I've actually tried a few vegan burgers here and there, and no they're not all that bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy or make them though.

I've actually tried a few vegan burgers here and there, and no they're not all that bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy or make them though.
You are right, in that there are some that are good, and some which are quite NOT good, lol. Also, they are all quite expensive. It is actually cheaper to make your own stuff--and that way, you can season it the way you like, too.

You are right, in that there are some that are good, and some which are quite NOT good, lol. Also, they are all quite expensive. It is actually cheaper to make your own stuff--and that way, you can season it the way you like, too.
Yep "bean burgers" and other ideas are online.

This am, it looks like we will have tofu scramble. Basically swap the eggs with tofu (and a little turmeric for color).

Asian, Indian and even some modern dishes start as vegan and good to eat. Caribbean black beans and salsa.

I used to be in the "not manly" camp. But when my step brothers started having their chests opened up by the heart surgeon, well, I changed my tune. (One step brother was pretty athletic, but has the most issues with blockage due to cholesterol.)

Genetics has a lot to do with it. But I'm pretty convinced what we eat is a close second in predicting whether one will be healthy in later life.

This offends me to my very core.

Last edited:
I used to be in the "not manly" camp. But when my step brothers started having their chests opened up by the heart surgeon, well, I changed my tune. (One step brother was pretty athletic, but has the most issues with blockage due to cholesterol.)

Genetics has a lot to do with it. But I'm pretty convinced what we eat is a close second in predicting whether one will be healthy in later life.

Read these:
https://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-skeptic-podcast-episode-11/
https://chriskresser.com/episode-16-chris-masterjohn-on-cholesterol-heart-disease-part-2/
https://chriskresser.com/chris-masterjohn-on-cholesterol-and-heart-disease-part-3/

And go back to enjoying meat.

It's called seitan. Basically wheat gluten, water and flavorings. Mrs. Steingar makes it all the time.

I take it back, it could be wonton wrappers covered with seasoning and baked. We've made some that too, yummy. Seitan has been a big hit with the nonvegetarians as well. They even liked my veggie Rubens.

Last edited:
Jerky is, by definition, dried meat. Can be dried in an oven or over a fire, but it is first cut from an animal. Modern ethics dictate that the animal first be killed as humanely as possible.

Fruit, vegetables and other plant matter are an important part of the food chain, and of our food supply, and meet unique dietary needs. They do not, however, fully meet our bodies' needs without adding either meat or supplements (pills). And plants are not, and cannot become, jerky. See the definition of jerky above . . . .

This is simply a hard, chewy and likely bad-tasting jerky substitute. No thanks, I'll take the real thing.

Any man who questions the purpose of another man's consumption of beer shall be excommunicated to the Ladies' Lounge for a period of 10 days, during which time he can bemoan and lament til his wilted heart is content. At the end of such time, should he again question another man's consumption of holy nectar, he will be doubted to be a man at all, and relegated to the ranks of "gender = other."

Just as it is ok to pretend to shoot wild game with your thumb/forefinger/other arm outstretched holding imaginary barrel (etc) it is ok for a man to eat pretend animals.

Yep "bean burgers" and other ideas are online.

This am, it looks like we will have tofu scramble. Basically swap the eggs with tofu (and a little turmeric for color).

Asian, Indian and even some modern dishes start as vegan and good to eat. Caribbean black beans and salsa.
I love the tofu scramble with tumeric.

Jerky is, by definition, dried meat. Can be dried in an oven or over a fire, but it is first cut from an animal. Modern ethics dictate that the animal first be killed as humanely as possible.

Fruit, vegetables and other plant matter are an important part of the food chain, and of our food supply, and meet unique dietary needs. They do not, however, fully meet our bodies' needs without adding either meat or supplements (pills). And plants are not, and cannot become, jerky. See the definition of jerky above . . . .

This is simply a hard, chewy and likely bad-tasting jerky substitute. No thanks, I'll take the real thing.
Hmm. I've been a vegetarian for 27 years and a vegan for two years. Used to have high cholesterol, high BP, and the rest of it. Not anymore.

ALL the meat-eaters in my family--mother, brother, sister, as well as their spouses are on medication for high blood pressure.

Laugh it up, if you must, but I'll just say this: it felt VERY good getting my medical back after having lowered my BP without the need for drugs.

There is something to be said about cholesterol, BP and other health issues being affected by what you eat. My doctor said I was getting close to needing to take one of those statin drugs. Although I still eat meat, I do eat most meals with my wife that are vegetarian or vegan. Doc likes my cholesterol numbers now. No drugs (yet).

Now to lose 20#s....

Back