Vans RV or Glasair for low time pilot

I meant landing. Not trying to argue about the capabilities of your airplane, since I have no experience with them...I just have a good feeling it's not as good at short field ops. Lots of people like more than just pure speed.

Oh, sorry. Landing is 475 and 875 over a 50 ft obstacle. I could worse case it at gross over a 50 ft obstacle at 1,200 ft required distance.

I admit it's not the best short field aircraft. It doesn't exactly have a high lift wing and the little tires don't lend themselves to grass well. Landing gear is incredibly strong though. You'd be hard pressed to find Glasairs with nose gear failures. Stodard Hamilton used to operate the FG versions all the time on the grass strip outside their HQ.

What we want is basically a "GT car" for the sky. Good fuel economy, decent baggage space, fast comfortable cruise for 2, light aerobatics, good slow speed handling.

What we don't want is a "supercar" for the sky which only does one thing, go fast.

That's just our mission. And from what I know the RV seems to do that best.

Enjoying reading all you guys have to say! Keep it coming!

For nearly all light singles, takeoff is the issue, not landing. With any significant load, pretty near all light singles can land at airports from which they can leave only on a flatbed truck.

True but the RV4 can take off shorter than it can land- in under 400'

For nearly all light singles, takeoff is the issue, not landing. With any significant load, pretty near all light singles can land at airports from which they can leave only on a flatbed truck.
Is the same not typical for larger and multi-engine planes also?

Hi all,
My dad and I are looking to purchase an aircraft. We are both low time pilots (<150hr, no ifr). We like the Diamond da20 but the lack of IFR certification is limiting if we want to get are instrument ratings at some point. A steam gauge da40 looks nice but we don't need 4 seats and the extra fuel cost. A vans rv-6a/7a or glasair 1ft of 2ft fits our mission perfectly but I'm worried that they may not be ideal for low tim pilots like ourselves. Also I'm a little wary of owning an experimental build by someone else. Also how hard is it to find a mechanic who can do condition inspections. Would love to hear you guys thoughts.
Thanks,
T

I am a low time pilot. A touch over 100 hours. Did some transition training right after my PPL for insurance purposes and confidence building to fly it (well, really more to land it).. I have put on roughly 35 hours in the plane in the last two months, a bunch of it on a x-country up to the Pacific NW and back for the experience and because I wanted to get more familiar with the plane. Also did a few trips for work... Kansas City, Austin...also flew to Scottsdale to play some golf. i have learned a ton during this time. It is a great cross country plane or even just puttering around the area (just throttle back). It cruises fairly efficiently at 170kts/9.1gph. And holds about 48 gallons of fuel. I am aware that some Glasairs are configured to hold around 60 gallons with wing tip tanks.

My plane stalls in a dirty configuration at 56kts and i am over the fence full flaps at 80kts. My plane has slotted flaps and extended wing tips. I trained on a Grumman Cheetah which I was trained to fly over the fence no flaps at 80kts. So, the approach speed was the same though the sight picture is a bit different between the Glasair vs the Cheetah.

Really, the biggest difference that I have found was the need to be a bit more deliberate when planning to slow the plane when you are preparing to enter the pattern. I am sure this is no different than with RVs that also cruise at these higher speeds or any other plane that move pretty quickly for that matter (though I don't have any exp with any other). It is just a much more fun plane to fly.

Insurance asked for 10 hours of transition work. I felt confident after about 5 - 6 hours of dual to be in the plane by myself. But did the 10+ hours for the paperwork. I am paying roughly $1600/yr for insurance. I did have to call around a bit but ended up working with Sky Smith. As an aside, i called up the EAA folks and they basically told me to call them back when i had a couple hundred hours under my belt. Obviously, even they seem to be a bit confused about insurance requirements.

I also believe that the construction of these planes is rather straightforward and the original builder has been quite accessible to me to answer questions that you never think to ask when you are buying it and isn't in a manual to simply look up. I did have an annual done which did get pretty costly...was north of $2k but since this was the first non-builder annual, it included some things the builder felt comfortable with which I had changed based on the recommendation of the shop I was working with. I don't think this is a Glasair specific thing, and may not even be a homebuilt issue either but more related to preferences or tolerances by a specific A&P. I do not believe it is at all hard to find someone to work or inspect these planes. It may be easy enough to call up your local EAA chapter and ask who they recommend.

As another poster had commented, the builder community is enormous for RVs compared to Glasairs for sure. I have no data to back this up, but my Glasair Super II FT is in the mid-2000s in terms of kit number and it is considered a more recent kit. Maybe they go up to say 3000? So, loose math says that if there are 3000 kits per model, and there are three models, I, II, III, then there are a total of 9000 - 10,000 sold kits with a loose estimate at 30% flying... 3k planes? So, yes, the community is small compared to the RV family. I have also found that to mean the folks flying Glasairs are generally going to be a bit more available to help the "new" guy out.

One comment that you may hear from others (which I heard while I was considering purchasing this plane as a low time pilot) is that many consider the Glasair a plane that is too hot to handle for a low time pilot. In my own experience, I think it is too general of a comment and a bit uniformed. Obviously the training experience of the pilot and the setup of the particular plane will factor into this. But, as the plane I fly is set up with extended wing tips and slotted flaps, i found the transition to be a non-issue. I would imagine the nature of this plane changes without these "training wheels" as it were, but I find these features tame the plane down considerably: lower stall speed and more forgiveness on landing due to increased ground effect. I have not flown this plane on standard flaps and without the extended wing tips so my opinion stops beyond what I have configured on my plane.

Good luck with your search. It is a fun time. I am sure you will make the right decision for your particular needs.

Thanks GK!
That gives me a lot of comfort knowing that you are comfortable with the glasair. I still think the rv-6a is a better choice for us. I'd rather not be crossing the fence at 80kts. $2k for an annual dosen't seem to bad since the diamonds we've looked at can be north 4k. It sounds like we should be able to get insurance for under $2k.

What kind of fuel burn do you get while throttled back to say 100-120kts?

Do you guys tie down or hangar? Hangar is very expensive at SNA so I'd rather tie down. No real winters to worry about here, just sun damage.

Fence speed of 80 sounds high for 56 kt VSO. Is there some particular reason to carry the extra speed?

I am a low time pilot. A touch over 100 hours. Did some transition training right after my PPL for insurance purposes and confidence building to fly it (well, really more to land it).. I have put on roughly 35 hours in the plane in the last two months, a bunch of it on a x-country up to the Pacific NW and back for the experience and because I wanted to get more familiar with the plane. Also did a few trips for work... Kansas City, Austin...also flew to Scottsdale to play some golf. i have learned a ton during this time. It is a great cross country plane or even just puttering around the area (just throttle back). It cruises fairly efficiently at 170kts/9.1gph. And holds about 48 gallons of fuel. I am aware that some Glasairs are configured to hold around 60 gallons with wing tip tanks.

My plane stalls in a dirty configuration at 56kts and i am over the fence full flaps at 80kts. My plane has slotted flaps and extended wing tips. I trained on a Grumman Cheetah which I was trained to fly over the fence no flaps at 80kts. So, the approach speed was the same though the sight picture is a bit different between the Glasair vs the Cheetah.

Really, the biggest difference that I have found was the need to be a bit more deliberate when planning to slow the plane when you are preparing to enter the pattern. I am sure this is no different than with RVs that also cruise at these higher speeds or any other plane that move pretty quickly for that matter (though I don't have any exp with any other). It is just a much more fun plane to fly.

Insurance asked for 10 hours of transition work. I felt confident after about 5 - 6 hours of dual to be in the plane by myself. But did the 10+ hours for the paperwork. I am paying roughly $1600/yr for insurance. I did have to call around a bit but ended up working with Sky Smith. As an aside, i called up the EAA folks and they basically told me to call them back when i had a couple hundred hours under my belt. Obviously, even they seem to be a bit confused about insurance requirements.

I also believe that the construction of these planes is rather straightforward and the original builder has been quite accessible to me to answer questions that you never think to ask when you are buying it and isn't in a manual to simply look up. I did have an annual done which did get pretty costly...was north of $2k but since this was the first non-builder annual, it included some things the builder felt comfortable with which I had changed based on the recommendation of the shop I was working with. I don't think this is a Glasair specific thing, and may not even be a homebuilt issue either but more related to preferences or tolerances by a specific A&P. I do not believe it is at all hard to find someone to work or inspect these planes. It may be easy enough to call up your local EAA chapter and ask who they recommend.

As another poster had commented, the builder community is enormous for RVs compared to Glasairs for sure. I have no data to back this up, but my Glasair Super II FT is in the mid-2000s in terms of kit number and it is considered a more recent kit. Maybe they go up to say 3000? So, loose math says that if there are 3000 kits per model, and there are three models, I, II, III, then there are a total of 9000 - 10,000 sold kits with a loose estimate at 30% flying... 3k planes? So, yes, the community is small compared to the RV family. I have also found that to mean the folks flying Glasairs are generally going to be a bit more available to help the "new" guy out.

One comment that you may hear from others (which I heard while I was considering purchasing this plane as a low time pilot) is that many consider the Glasair a plane that is too hot to handle for a low time pilot. In my own experience, I think it is too general of a comment and a bit uniformed. Obviously the training experience of the pilot and the setup of the particular plane will factor into this. But, as the plane I fly is set up with extended wing tips and slotted flaps, i found the transition to be a non-issue. I would imagine the nature of this plane changes without these "training wheels" as it were, but I find these features tame the plane down considerably: lower stall speed and more forgiveness on landing due to increased ground effect. I have not flown this plane on standard flaps and without the extended wing tips so my opinion stops beyond what I have configured on my plane.

Good luck with your search. It is a fun time. I am sure you will make the right decision for your particular needs.

Fence speed of 80 sounds high for 56 kt VSO. Is there some particular reason to carry the extra speed?

Maybe to keep it from suddenly developing the sink rate of an anvil despite the fact that the wing is still pretty far above stall speed? :idea:

Could be. If so I'll take your word for it.

Maybe to keep it from suddenly developing the sink rate of an anvil despite the fact that the wing is still pretty far above stall speed? :idea:

That all depends on how you break the glide and manage your airspeed and energy. You can either cross the threshold with your glide already flattened out, or you can cross it at the same airspeed with lots of descent rate to manage. All in how you manage your energy. Every airplane is different. In some airplanes, 1.3Vso really is flirting with the low end if your approach is power off - the Pitts for example...especially those with CS props. That being said, most pilots tend to fly faster on final than necessary. That's purely pilot preference, and not a sin as long it's it's not too excessive. But when I see pilots flying 172s down to the runway at 75 kts, still carrying power, that does hurt my feelings. ;)

Last edited:
Could be. If so I'll take your word for it.

Yeah most guys carry 80 kts on final because of the sink rate. Controls aren't quite as responsive as I'd like below 80 especially when the winds pick up. With a recommended 20 mph x-wind component, 80 on final and touching down around 65-70 works nice.

The guy who sold me my plane was teaching me 95kts and one notch (20) on final. No way I was going to continue to use that Space Shuttle approach. I went with 80kts and two notches (35) on final. Works out best. If it's a short runway I'll use full flaps (50) and 70 kts. I can get off in less than 1,000 ft with some good braking.

Why not use that with every runway?

Because 70kts is a bit tricky. Sink rate can get exciting and there's not much room for error in the flare. It's not going to float. It'll plop right down once power is reduced. 80kts is far more comfortable with increased control response on final and a slight nose up in the flare. With 5,000 ft of runway I don't have a need to stop in a hurry.

I was just reading one of my old Glasair pamphlets on the III. One pilot was using 80-85 kts on final with the long tips and 100 kts on final with short wings. 23 ft wingspan with a short cord equates to high wing loading. Just one of the things Glasair owners work with.

I was just reading one of my old Glasair pamphlets on the III. One pilot was using 80-85 kts on final with the long tips and 100 kts on final with short wings. 23 ft wingspan with a short cord equates to high wing loading. Just one of the things Glasair owners work with.

The last time I rode in a Glasair, it was a III retract with a fire-breathing IO-540. The owner came down final at 100kts and chopped the power over the threshold. The plane landed with a resounding ker-plunk that felt like it was about to drive the main gear up thru the wings. I rode with him twice and that was enough.

The lanceairs are just too hot to handle for me;)

A fellow at my airport recently bought a Lancair 360 with 200hp IO-360. It's super fast... much faster than any of our RVs. But, with two aboard it's a tight fit and doesn't have a whole lot of useful load capacity either. The owner, a high time pilot with a lot of experience in high performance aircraft (e.g. Aerostar twins, etc) says one unnerving feature of the Lancair is that it has somewhat "negative pitch stability" meaning that if you pitch nose up from level flight, it wants to keep going more and more nose up, and if you pitch nose down, it wants to keep going more and more nose down, thus you have to pay close attention to your pitch when hand-flying it.

FWIW, a T-18 can give you similar performance at a lower price compared to a comparable RV something.

The lanceairs are just too hot to handle for me;)

Many people make a big deal about, and hype "high performance". Lots of times, it's just a number on the airspeed indicator. It doesn't take any more "hot" piloting skills to handle a "high performance" airplane like a Lancair, than it does a Cub. In fact, have the Lancair pilot and the Cub pilot trade airplanes, and the Cub pilot would have an easier transition to the Lancair than vice versa. Just because an airplane stalls/lands faster, doesn't mean you need more of that "pilot ****" or anything. A Cherokee lands faster than a 172. Is the Cherokee too "hot to handle" for the 172 pilot?

A fast airplane simply means you might start slowing it down a little further out from the pattern than a slower airplane, and that you might fly your pattern slightly little larger...assuming you're not already one of those x-country 172 pattern drivers. ;)

Any pilot can learn to fly any airplane. There is no such thing as a "hard" to fly airplane. And just because someone flies a "hotter" airplane doesn't mean they have better piloting skills...and I don't care if it's a P-51, Pitts, or 152. It's not what you fly, it's how well you fly it. I've known some marginally capable Pitts pilots, and some masterful C-150 pilots.

Pilots of slick high performance airpalnes love to proclaim that they are not suitable for low-time pilots. That's only because their ego would take a hit if a bunch of low-timers showed they had no trouble at all flying these airplanes.

All that being said, if you don't like the idea of a 65KT stall speed for crash-worthy reasons, that's another matter...and perfectly relevant. But it has nothing to do with one's ability to handle the airplane perfectly well.

Depends on what sacrifices were made to get that number on the airspeed indicator.

If it was fuel burn then yeah, fairly easy to handle.

But if they got it by trimming drag with small wings and stabilizers then you will have to work harder and that may not be the best ship for an inexperienced pilot to jump into.

All that being said, if you don't like the idea of a 65KT stall speed for crash-worthy reasons, that's another matter...and perfectly relevant. But it has nothing to do with one's ability to handle the airplane perfectly well.

Isn't a crash at higher speed the risk that drives all of these discussions? Otherwise, what else matters?

Isn't a crash at higher speed the risk that drives all of these discussions? Otherwise, what else matters?

In some cases maybe, but I think in most cases folks put it in the context of pilot skill and experience. I mean, what is it about an experienced pilot that would make it more OK for them to accept an airplane that would land in the trees at 70KTS?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but not all vanns or glasairs are IMC machines. don't they have to be certified by having meshing or something placed in their composite structures?

just mentioning this b/c the OP brought up instrument ratings.

If the hot-rods weren't more skittish, they would perform more like the draft-horses. You can't separate the desired elements from the undesirable elements on the same airframe.

I don't know how much time and experience is necessary for the average toad to develop the skills to manage one of the more-demanding planes, but have seen enough over the years to know it's probably a bit more than they think. Just because some guy writes that he's flying one of them doesn't necessarily cause me to think he's worth a shlt.

In some cases maybe, but I think in most cases folks put it in the context of pilot skill and experience. I mean, what is it about an experienced pilot that would make it more OK for them to accept an airplane that would land in the trees at 70KTS?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but not all vanns or glasairs are IMC machines. don't they have to be certified by having meshing or something placed in their composite structures?

As far as I know, for RV's as long as the navigation equipment meets the requirements, the a/c is good to go for IMC. If you are running a composite prop, you want to have one with a leading-edge cap of some sort to prevent rain from being pounded into the structure of the prop, but that is true for all a/c with composite props - not just RVs.

That's a Part 23 certification requirement. Same reason why DA20s aren't IFR certified. All an experimental has to do is meet instrument / avionics requirement. Plenty of well equipped IFR homebuilts out there.

My Glasair manual does have a warning about lightning though. Basically you can fly IFR but if you get struck your aircraft might be exploding around you. I suppose another reason to buy an RV. :)

A P-51 has an 87 kt stall speed but I'd still fly one on a regular basis. :D

Not so much. The term "forgiving" that is applied to much of the GA fleet wasn't conferred by throwing darts at the dictionary.

Yep, but true of any airplane IMO.

Not so much. The term "forgiving" that is applied to much of the GA fleet wasn't conferred by throwing darts at the dictionary.

When I said "true of any airplane" I was referring to the fact that just because someone flies any particular type from a Cub to a P-51 doesn't imply anything about their abilities as a pilot. But you bring up a different subject...

Tricycle airplanes are "forgiving" on the ground, but other than that, I never really understood what makes an airplane "forgiving" or "unforgiving" in the air. Every airplane has limits. Exceed them and no airplane will forgive you. Not sure how a Lancair is any less forgiving in the air than a Cub. The Cub will happily comply with a bad input, such as spinning into the ground. Lots have. I'd guess the Lancair will do the same. I guess Ercoupes are "forgiving", relatively speaking, since you can't stall or spin them. Other airplanes, I don't see the importance of trying to figure out what's "forgiving" and what's "unforgiving". Like I said, I don't even know what that means, and I've flown enough airplanes to take a stab at it...if I could actually think of anything pertinant. Lots of "trainers" are more challenging to fly than many "hotter" airplanes.

Last edited:
Then why don't 100hr pilots buy a new citation x?!?!?!

Yes there low time pilots in WWII that flew p-51. But they had to keep proficiency and that's all they had to focus on. Sure I could learn to fly a very demanding airplane, but since my day job is not flying related there's no way I could stay proficient enough flying 100hrs a year to feel safe getting in the cockpit. If I was a full time pilot or had 1000s of hours of experience then I might consider a lancia 360, glasair iii or even a laniar evolution. But since I am a full time lighting programmer and flying is what I do on my days off to relax, I want a aircraft that I am comfortable flying and is well within my personal capabilities.

T

Then why don't 100hr pilots buy a new citation x?!?!?!

Because the number of 100 hr pilots out there who have the money and motivation is virtually non-existant. About the only requirement for the type rating would be the multi. For an extremely wealthy new pilot hellbent on owning and flying their own Citation, it could be done. There may be limitations on their privelages, but the training and qualifications could be obtained.

If I was a full time pilot or had 1000s of hours of experience then I might consider a lancia 360, glasair iii or even a laniar evolution. But since I am a full time lighting programmer and flying is what I do on my days off to relax, I want a aircraft that I am comfortable flying and is well within my personal capabilities.

You might not like how this comes across, but your perception is distorted by your inexperience. If you feel you would not fly enough to maintain sufficient profiency to safely handle the pure flying of a Lancair, then you should reconsider flying ANY airplane. I don't mean that seriously because if you're proficient and comfortable flying a 172 50 hrs a year, then you'll be just as proficient and comfortable flying a Lancair 50 hrs a year. I'm not talking about IFR proficiency or anything like that - just purely flying the airplane. An airplane is an airplane. And 10,000 hrs in Cessnas won't give you any advantages in a HP airplane. You could train someone from zero in a Lancair and the new pilot wouldn't know the difference.

Last edited:
Then why do insurance companies factor in total time as well as time in type?

Am I missing something?

T

Are we talking about the same subject? Couldn't we both fly a new pilot in a 172 and a RV-8 for an hour and know how much intervention was required to keep him/her from bending it? Do you think the transition time to competency would be different in one vs the other for a pilot that had trained in a run -of-the-mill GA trainer?

When I said "true of any airplane" I was referring to the fact that just because someone flies any particular type from a Cub to a P-51 doesn't imply anything about their abilities as a pilot. But you bring up a different subject...

Tricycle airplanes are "forgiving" on the ground, but other than that, I never really understood what makes an airplane "forgiving" or "unforgiving" in the air. Every airplane has limits. Exceed them and no airplane will forgive you. Not sure how a Lancair is any less forgiving in the air than a Cub. The Cub will happily comply with a bad input, such as spinning into the ground. Lots have. I'd guess the Lancair will do the same. I guess Ercoupes are "forgiving", relatively speaking, since you can't stall or spin them. Other airplanes, I don't see the importance of trying to figure out what's "forgiving" and what's "unforgiving". Like I said, I don't even know what that means, and I've flown enough airplanes to take a stab at it...if I could actually think of anything pertinant. Lots of "trainers" are more challenging to fly than many "hotter" airplanes.

Then why do insurance companies factor in total time as well as time in type?

Am I missing something?

T

They do that for ALL types. It just becomes a moot point with trainers because EVERYBODY has time in those. There are too many factors that relate to insurance requirements for different types, but what you must keep in mind is that high performance experimental types fly differently from trainers. They are not harder or more demanding, just different. The insurance companies are not worried about a low-time pilot flying a high-performance type....they are worried about a pilot (regardless of total time) who has little initial time in type. It's purely a function of the fact that they fly differently. If you get good transition training, it's not an issue moving into any type of airplane. The airplanes that the insurance companies consider the most risky are those that are 1) very limited in numbers (think training availability) and 2) very different from trainer types. Nobody says ultralights are hard to fly, but put a Cessna pilot in one and they'd have problems. But ultralights just aren't worth insuring is all. Airplanes are airplanes - you just have to learn to fly each different one properly, whether you have zero hours or 20,000 hrs.

Are we talking about the same subject? Couldn't we both fly a new pilot in a 172 and a RV-8 for an hour and know how much intervention was required to keep him/her from bending it? Do you think the transition time to competency would be different in one vs the other for a pilot that had trained in a run -of-the-mill GA trainer?

Of course - the spam trained pilot would take more time to adjust to the RV-8 than the 172. But how is this relevant to the low-time pilot discussion? Low-time pilots transition just as easily to RVs (probably easier actually) as high-time pilots. It's entirely possible (and maybe even likely) that the zero hour pilot could solo the RV-8 quicker than the 20,000 hr pilot who only has time in trike trainers, Bonanzas, and Airbuses.

Yes

Say if the guy learned in a 150 or PA28, has 100 or so hours, VFR PPL.

Transition time to a 182 vs RV, though it aint likely to be a HUGE difference, I'd wager the RV would take a few hours more then the cessna

Now if that guy had learned how to fly in a 7AC or PA18, I'd wager it would be a VERY short transition and it wouldn't be a difference in required time between a cessna or RV transition.

Back