Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rolfrv
Why is it that the Universal Coordinated Time is call UTC?:rolleyes:

Rolf
N9EY

From wiki:

The official abbreviation for Coordinated Universal Time is UTC. This abbreviation arose from a desire by the International Telecommunication Union and the International Astronomical Union to use the same abbreviation in all languages. English speakers originally proposed CUT (for "coordinated universal time"), while French speakers proposed TUC (for "temps universel coordonné"). The compromise that emerged was UTC,[8] which conforms to the pattern for the abbreviations of the variants of Universal Time (UT0, UT1, UT2, UT1R, etc.).[9]

Or is it EOP or POE or something...

However it got its name, after 37 years of dealing with it I no longer have to do the math since the jets I get to fly now have UTC on the clocks and the MFD!

However it got its name, after 37 years of dealing with it I no longer have to do the math since the jets I get to fly now have UTC on the clocks and the MFD!

Most watches have a second time zone you can set to UTC. Your MFD isn't much use for setting your alarm clock at the hotel.

Most watches have a second time zone you can set to UTC. Your MFD isn't much use for setting your alarm clock at the hotel.

That's easily solved by my iPhone and iPad which automatically adjust to local time, which is the time we are given for our van ride to the airport. They serve as my alarm clocks....primary and backup!

Just say ZULU and forget the rest.

UTC, UCT, GMT, Zulu ...... no difference.

But yeah, here in America we use a French term for the time in England.

UTC, UCT, GMT, Zulu ...... no difference.

But yeah, here in America we use a French term for the time in England.

Actually, there is a difference, and as a telescope "blind" pointer, I care.

For moving an airplane around, it's not that important.

Zulu = GMT for irrelevant historical reasons. But GMT is a local time zone, not a time standard like UTC. A time standard has MUCH more associated with it. There is much more to time than setting a clock. Some of it gets used in celestial navigation, but there is much more when arcsecond precision is required.

I've only seen UCT used in a context where some xenophobic American can't stand that the whole world doesn't speak English. UTC is also not French. The French form would be TUC.

And none of those are the time in England this time of year. England is on UTC+1.

Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anyone really care? :dunno:

Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anyone really care? :dunno:

Yes.

If I gotta point the damn telescope in the blind, the first thing I do (electronically) is query the GPS for the time and position.

Get the time wrong by 1/150 sec and I miss my pointing precision requirement.

I've only seen UCT used in a context where some xenophobic American can't stand that the whole world doesn't speak English.

The same guy who made this map I presume?

cee6732f850cf8709f67506c42b7009d.jpg

I have a Russian (well Soviet) map that used to hang in my office in the SCIF that has MOSCOW on the centerline. Everything is relative...

That doesn't surprise me. The Soviet Union was just as egocentric as the U.S. is.

Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration...but they were close! :)

America lost out when we recommended the acronym for Cooridinated UNinversal Time.

;)
But men gained power when women admitted they also enjoyed sex. 1800's??

Back