USPS lost my registration card

dfw11411

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dfw11411
I subscribe to the USPS service called Informed Delivery. They send me an email early each day showing scanned images of the front of whatever will be delivered that day. The registration card was shown, but never arrived. USPS says to wait 7 days before reporting lost mail. I've waited, but my past experience with lost mail is that they can never find it. Reporting seems like a wasted effort.

I've looked at the FAA site regarding registration, but can't find any info or forms regarding replacement of a lost registration card. Do I have to file a renewal and pay the fee? Any advice?

Check with your neighbors? Sometimes I get mail that is addressed to an adjacent house.

You are dealing with the post office. Enough said.

Kind of like when you are at McDonald’s and the staff clears your order (as it is timed) and asks you to pull up and wait for your meal. USPS seems to do this too.

Informed Delivery is a great thing, IMO. I highly recommend it. As the OP described, it's a daily email that shows scanned images of the mail with your address, that got sorted that night at your local postal facility, before it was given to your carrier. (Also, signing up for it helps make it easy to request a hold on delivery when you're on vacation.)

Just one time that I recall in several years, a letter didn't arrive in the mailbox at my home the same day that its image was in the Informed Delivery email. And it didn't show up within a week, either. I was worried, because it was a check. But it actually did get delivered to my mailbox, about two weeks after it was supposed to be out for delivery. The mail carrier had no explanation, when I asked him. It just happened. Maybe it was misplaced, or given to the wrong carrier, or who knows, but it eventually found its way to me.

Informed Delivery was so fast for me yesterday that it showed a package as "delivered" but actually showed up eight hours later.

+3 for informed delivery; it is a nice feature offered by the USPS.

I am typically pleased with the USPS as they have been more reliable than the other alternatives to our house. Unfortunately, we sent certified mail a couple weeks ago that is currently lost.

Certified mail only proves you mailed it and if you paid for it, confirmation of delivery.

Registered mail gives you special handling. (Used to send out classified software updates and we had to send them all registered).

I requested the duplicate. It was easy and fast and cheap. Two weeks after receiving the duplicate, I found the one that I had lost.
<shrug>

Better two than zero on the day somebody asks to see it.

My “informed delivery” is usually a few days ahead of actual delivery. Sometimes more. Be patient.

A earlier thread here on POA reminded me I received one in the mail and I lost it. I did take a picture of it with my phone before I lost it to show to my buddy asking him what it is or why I received it. Spent a week looking for it until I found it behind my desk on the floor. Made a copy and put it in my logs and made sure I put the original in the plane.
Thanks to POA as I might have forgotten all about it until someone asked to see it.

Did yours ever show up dfw?

Last edited:
No sign of it after 10 days so I'm sure it's lost. Most of my neighbors are great about bringing misdelivered mail over, but those who aren't are the types to throw it away and say they haven't seen it. :)

Informed Delivery says to wait 7 days before reporting it lost, but clicking on the lost item on the 8th day results in an error saying they don't keep data more than 7 days. I suddenly had the urge to watch Mike Nichol's classic movie "Catch 22".

So I requested and paid for a replacement on Monday. The card arrived Thursday. "Wow" I thought, The FAA is really responsive. Today another registration card arrived. So the original took almost a month to be delivered with the replacement processed and delivered in only 5 days. I had no idea that the FAA was more efficient than the USPS.

Certified mail only proves you mailed it and if you paid for it, confirmation of delivery.

Registered mail gives you special handling. (Used to send out classified software updates and we had to send them all registered).
I recently sent a letter certified, delivery receipt requested. I have indirect information, sorta, that the letter arrived, but two weeks later the confirmation postcard hasn't been returned. First time I've had that happen. Not happy about it; it's a fairly important letter.

So I requested and paid for a replacement on Monday. The card arrived Thursday. "Wow" I thought, The FAA is really responsive. Today another registration card arrived. So the original took almost a month to be delivered with the replacement processed and delivered in only 5 days. I had no idea that the FAA was more efficient than the USPS.
Crazy, glad you finally got it.

my buddy sent a post card with 1st class postage from Boston. It was postmarked 9-7 one day after he mailed it, it was put in my mailbox 2 days ago on October 12th. He sends cards from all over since he is a airline Captain. A month or longer is normal for his postcards even with 1st class postage.
It has taken 2 weeks to receive checks from business customers from the other side of town.
. I think they have gone back to using the pony express?

Last edited:
I finally got mine, the registration itself is the envelope so it goes through a beating by the time it gets to you. Mine has the USPS computer crypto logic code stamped all over the bottom of the registration card.

I recently sent a letter certified, delivery receipt requested. I have indirect information, sorta, that the letter arrived, but two weeks later the confirmation postcard hasn't been returned. First time I've had that happen. Not happy about it; it's a fairly important letter.

I had the same happen twice last month.

Let me guess, it was going to a company that receives a lot of mail daily correct?

Here's what I learned. The USPS used to require the delivery man to sign for certified mail when he takes it out for delivery. That is no longer required. Now, if the certified mail is mixed in the middle of a bunch of other mail, the delivery man may not notice it is there. This results in delivery of certified mail without return of the receipt due to the receipt still being attached to the letter it came with.

This is poor as certified mail is widely considered as required for proof of delivery. Further, the USPS requires you wait 30 days from mailing to request refund even if they have confirmed it's lost. Then, you don't receive full refund; you only receive refund for the return receipt portion.

Signature proof is not now and technically never was part of the Certified Mail service to the CUSTOMER. The USPS internally maintained a recipient (note that is not necessarily the addressee) signature, but that technically isn't available to the sender. You have to purchase the return receipt. There are a couple of restricted delivery options. But again, other than the restrictions on delivery, there's no special handling in certified mail once the USPS hands you the proof you send it.

Registered Mail is special handling from the point of deposit until delivery.

Back