Using Old Logbook for Endorsements?

Pilot-To-Be

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I am just about to get started on Multi Engine Commercial and then proceed to CFI, as I keep pushing toward becoming a pro-pilot. I am currently on logbook #2 and unfortunately, when I bought the one I have now (Jeppesen) I didn't realize that it's really tailored for initial student pilots, as it has all of the pre-solo and student pilot endorsements, but nothing for Instrument, Commercial, CFI etc., so my instructor just had to write in the endorsements for the writtens, check rides etc. That said, I am now basically out of space for the additional endorsements and the blank pages to hand write these endorsements. My previous logbook has the endorsements for CFI Spin Training and such, which I just took a ground school on. Is there anything that says the endorsement can't be given in my previous logbook? I believe I know the answer, but figured I'd ask the braintrust. I'm definitely going to buy a professional pilot logbook once I finish my current one up. Thanks!

I’d just start with myflightbook, do a one-time initial entry, then upload endorsement images and be done with it.

Any written record is fine. I like to print endorsements on stickers and find a place, any place, to put them in a logbook. Or do the electronic suggestion above.

I'm on logbook #7 and still rely on some of the endorsements in logbook #1. That's one good reason to scan or photograph every logbook as you go.

Silliness about crayon in toilet paper aside, two suggestions using what you have.

1. Yes, use your old logbook. Only issue might be remembering that you have new endorsements in it.
2. Use stickers for endorsements. Just over the inapplicable empty student ones. You can even cover the “regular” logbook pages eith them.

Assuming that, A: your instructor has a pen, and B: you want all of your endorsements at the end of the log book, and C: you still have some blank pages at the end of the book. Then your instructor could just write out the endorsement in the new book ignoring all of the column headings and not trying to cram it all into a single line in the "remarks" column.

1. Yes, use your old logbook. Only issue might be remembering that you have new endorsements in it.
2. Use stickers for endorsements. Just over the inapplicable empty student ones. You can even cover the “regular” logbook pages eith them.
I just use my own label maker and paste the info at the top of the page where any currency or endorsement flights are logged. It makes them easy to find if needed, and if the signature is somewhere else the little note on the top right sends me there.

Clipboard_03-28-2024_01.jpg

The most likely need to retrieve this information usually comes with filling out insurance or other applications, but should the occasion arise it makes it easy to find important dates over the past logbooks as well.

When my "blank end of the book" pages get filled with endorsements, that does not happen often anymore, I just start working backwards into the normal "logging" pages until I run out of empty pages. Then buy a new book. If your instructor cannot follow the guidance in AC 61-65H and needs to have the endorsements already "canned" in the back of the book. Perhaps I might recommend another instructor.

I just use my own label maker and paste the info at the top of the page where any currency or endorsement flights are logged. It makes them easy to find if needed, and if the signature is somewhere else the little note on the top right sends me there.

View attachment 127191

The most likely need to retrieve this information usually comes with filling out insurance or other applications, but should the occasion arise it makes it easy to find important dates over the past logbooks as well.
Cross-referencing is not a bad idea, especially if it's in a different logbook

That must be the wave of the future . . .
Call me old school, all flights and endorsements are in a bound commercially available logbook(s). That is backed up by LogBookPro entries to make totaling easier. I also back up to a Spreadsheet and keep printed pages from the spreadsheet in a separate binder. Scanned pages of needed endorsements are also kept in the binder. I don't need to keep endorsements for student solo or approvals to take a check ride. After 50yrs of flying, those binders are getting thick. For 50yrs of flying, I might be considered a "low-time pilot".

I've been using LogBookPro for over 20yrs, I do not see a need to transfer all that data into FF.

That must be the wave of the future . . .
It's just really, really easy compared to paper logbooks. Maybe not for everyone, but it solves a LOT of the problems with tracking (and/or losing) paper records.

My flight book works for me. Backed up by paper.

It's just really, really easy compared to paper logbooks. Maybe not for everyone, but it solves a LOT of the problems with tracking (and/or losing) paper records.
I'm sure it is, and my comment was tongue in cheek because Foreflight is clearly in the present, not the future. But my logs preceded Foreflight by some 30 years, so I keep doing it the way I've always done it, even though I use Foreflight for its other benefits.

Back