Using flight sim for G1000 transition?

Parev

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Parev
Hiya.
I have my PPL and I learned in Cessna 172s with traditional 6-packs. My club has a bunch of these and I like flying them.
However, an FBO in my town has a bunch of new 172SPs with G1000s. I’d like to get into those for use on XCs.
So I need some glass transition, as I’d hate to pay a CFI or an FBO to learn stuff I can most do on my own. I already have the King schools G1000 course, but it’s just videos. I’d really like to practice setting up VOR nav, entering flight plans, customizing the maps, and generally learning the power of the G1000.
I’m thinking a flight sim would be a great way to do this. I’m not concerned about the stick and rudder aspects, since I’m transitioning laterally from very similar planes. (180 HP 172s)
Does this seem like a reasonable strategy? If so, does anyone have thoughts on the fidelity of the G1000 components in the MS flight sim versus x-plane? I’m open to either.

Using a sim to learn the buttonology of the G1000 is an excellent idea. I haven’t tried MSFS, so I can’t say how realistic its G1000 is. But I do use X-Plane’s G1000 — in a C172 and lately in a Cirrus — and I can tell you it’s very realistic. It does everything a real G1000 does that I consider basic, including Vertical Navigation. The X-Plane G1000 can’t program and fly an unpublished Hold using the autopilot, but that’s a recent feature even on real G1000s. If you buy a Navigraph subscription ($31/yr), you’ll have current navigation information so you can load and “fly” the Approaches in your area. X-Plane’s G1000 won’t give you muscle memory, but it will enable you to learn which buttons to push, and which knobs to twist, to do the things you want a real G1000 to do.

If so, does anyone have thoughts on the fidelity of the G1000 components in the MS flight sim versus x-plane? I’m open to either.
Hi.
The Assobo20 / MS is worthless to real world pilots, add to that the problems of installing it, updates, instability.... and you have a real head ache on your hands.
You are better off with XPlane and or FSX LM / Prepar3D v5.1, or even Steam.
I would Not spend any money on add on instead you can get a Tablet for around $50.00 with AOS 5+ and use an app like Avare with all the current updates for Plates, Charts... and have it as a back up just in case.
None of the above mentioned have a complete representation / simulation but you can use some of the basic functions.

If you have access to a high end simulator it can help with transition. Hours spent in the sim should be less costly than flight hours and you can spend time practicing with little consequence.

Most of my transition into the G1000 equipped PA46 was done in a simulator. I had g1000 time prior to the transition but it had been a while since I had looked at one. The sim didn’t fly at all like the plane but it was effective at learning the G1000 as installed in the PA46 airframe.

It is worth mentioning that the G1000 system is configured differently for different applications. There can even be significant changes between software revision levels for the same application. To be beneficial you’ll want to make sure that whatever you use for a simulator reflects the software in the airplane accurately.

It is worth mentioning that the G1000 system is configured differently for different applications. There can even be significant changes between software revision levels for the same application. To be beneficial you’ll want to make sure that whatever you use for a simulator reflects the software in the airplane accurately.
:yeahthat: One of the more annoying differences is the VNAV logic, even going from 172SP to 172SP.

The fidelity of the avionics in X-Plane are bad. Don't know enough about MSFS but the Prepar3D-Based Redbird doesn't seem any better, at least in the TD line.

I heard a comment at some point that if you are already familiar with the system you can operate the sim, but you can't learn the real thing from the sim. I partially agree. If you are familiar with the real thing, the sim will teach you to expect the unexpected. In that sense it prepares you for the glitches that happen. And the sim will teach you some real basics, such as where the buttons are.

You are better off locating a copy if the NAV III Garmin G1000 trainer. It will be far more useful. But be aware of what @mondtster said about differences in the G1000 from airplane to airplane.

The only thing that worked for me was a physical simulator. Clicking buttons is not the same as turning knobs.

expensive...you might do better with 10 hours in the plane.

https://realsimgear.com/products/realsimgear-g1000-suite-for-x-plane-p3d-and-fsx

note, there is another one from Simionic which uses a physical enclosure + iPad and app. It works fine and is around $500 for a single unit, but they require an old iPad. They’re working on a resized one for modern iPads

The only thing that worked for me was a physical simulator. Clicking buttons is not the same as turning knobs.

expensive...you might do better with 10 hours in the plane.

https://realsimgear.com/products/realsimgear-g1000-suite-for-x-plane-p3d-and-fsx

note, there is another one from Simionic which uses a physical enclosure + iPad and app. It works fine and is around $500 for a single unit, but they require an old iPad. They’re working on a resized one for modern iPads
The RealSimGear G1000 is excellent. I have it and use it a lot. It does require a not-insignificant cash investment, but it’s worth it, especially by those who will continue to use it even after becoming familiar with the G1000.

The 'default' MSFS G1000 is not good to practise, it is way too simple and misses a LOT of functions. I used to have a dekstop version for G1000 where you could simulate a track, it had a lot of functions and showed like the real thing. It is the software from Garmin itself.

Back