Used Mustang

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
I'm looking at a used 2008 Ford Mustang GT with 122K+ miles and listed for $12K. It had five previous owners...
Like your opinion if this is a buy to stay away from, or ok to buy if I like to tinker and work on it?
Thanks!

5 previous owners and I'd be looking heavily at why it was turned so often. My wife's Audi had 6 previous owners, but the one guy bought it back twice after selling it the first time. He was also the original buyer on it.

Sorry I can't help you with what it should cost. The 3 valve motor is not the most desirable. We bought ours because my wife wanted it when she saw it on a local car lot. I think I had just bought the plane...so.
We have a 07 GT convertible, ours only had 19K miles on it 5 years ago when we bought it mostly for my wife. She mostly drove it and now it has 35K miles on it. Now I am mostly driving it back and forth from the airport on nice days.

It is light weight compared to my 1970s muscle cars which makes it fun to drive.
This last year I got the hot rod bug again. Been doing some bolt on's and added a tuner. It goes pretty good. I put a cat back exhaust on it cause my wife asked for a little louder exhaust. I am trying to resist the erge to install long tube headers like I have on every muscle car I have ever owned. I have lowering springs and struts/shocks for it but have not put them on yet.
It sit's under the wing during the winter. It is fun to tinker on. The street warriors always pick on me. There is a turbo VW around that is just a terror. Blows this GT away...no no no I am not putting a turbo or supercharger on it, NO! Help me!
IMG_7659.JPG

Last edited:
I'm looking at a used 2008 Ford Mustang GT with 122K+ miles and listed for $12K. It had five previous owners...
Like your opinion if this is a buy to stay away from, or ok to buy if I like to tinker and work on it?
Thanks!

If you've never owned a 2000 or newer mustang before, I'd suggest a good "test-drive" that includes doing something like taking the spouse for burgers or or a Costco run.

The later model Mustangs, in order to preserve the nostalgic lean, long-nosed styling has some funky door frame geometry that makes it difficult to get into and out of in today's "compact" and "sub-compact" sized parking spots.

If you're like me though, and habitually park way the hell away from ANYONE who must park close to the front, then you might be ok.

I am a big guy and have no trouble getting in and out of it. Parking? Ppfff I have been driving a 3500 crew cab pickup since 1993 everyday so parking this mustang is child's play lol.
IMG_72271.jpg

Thanks!
They’re slow. Very slow. Get a 2011 or newer if you want something with decent performance. That’s when they started putting the Coyote in them.

My 2021
IMG_3763.jpeg

Last edited:
It is light weight compared to my 1970s muscle cars
What are the numbers? I've been told that 60's muscle cars felt heavier but were actually lighter. And I know even less about 70's muscle cars than 60's.

It looks like our 07 fit's in just right with a 172, Slow!! lol
Great looking mustang and I like your plane even better, Nice picture!!

Definitely get a prebuy from a mechanic that knows (and has repaired) 3V Modular Ford Cam Phaser issues. 3V 5.4s are famous for the cam phaser issues, but it happens on 4.6s as well (in my opinion, its more common on 5.4s not because of the engine (vs 4.6s), but because of the use case of 5.4 V8s in trucks and SUVs).

110K-150K miles is where the cam phaser issues tend to show their head, and most of the time that's an engine replacement to fix. The cam phaser issues tend to be a result of poor maintenance, and when a car changes hands that often missing oil changes becomes more likely. Personally, I would insist on the prebuy including an oil change and borescoping under the valve covers to check for sludge.

I don't know Mustangs that well, so I cannot comment on the price, or more car specific issues.

Based on the evidence presented... buy it if you own a high wing.

I have a '12 with the 5.0 Coyote. I never thought it was hard to get in/out of or park and find it a comfortable car to be in/drive long distances. If the price is right there's nothing wrong with a well maintained 4.6 but the 5.0 is a better all around motor.

What are the numbers? I've been told that 60's muscle cars felt heavier but were actually lighter. And I know even less about 70's muscle cars than 60's.
Good question, I am having trouble finding weights for mopar E bodys. When I was younger I worked at a scale service shop. I remember weighing my cars on the truck scales we serviced but don't remember the weights from that long ago.

Wait, I thought you were a Camaro guy?
Not anymore. I had a 6 speed 2011 SS with headers, exhaust, tune, lowering springs, and a few other things. It was fun, but not nearly as nice, or fast, as the S550. The 10 speed auto in the mustang is insane
1700619551367.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the 07, and I wouldn't worry too much about 5 owners in a 17-yr time span. It's a 2-door pony car that often lends to owners buying it and then realizing it doesn't fit their driving needs (or they upgrade to a newer one) in short order. Honestly though, I'd grab one of the slightly newer models with the 5.0L Coyote. Hands-down better engine and transmission. My father still has a 2014 GT that sits around under a car cover about 350 days per year lol.

Back