USAA Driving App

I've had USAA for 35 years and they are certainly not the company they once were. That being said, I've gotten good service on the couple car incidents (including one hit and run) and the home burglary at our cabin a few years ago. As we exit MD later this year for a much more rural life in NH I'll revaluate and figure out what to do.

I've been with USAA for 35+ years. The only thing I've ever had any issue with was they totaled my daughter's car without appeal (and it was not badly damaged, just old) and gave her bad information about what she could and couldn't do in the state of Florida. Ultimately it cost her a little out of pocket and quite a bit of time as she had to get the car repaired herself and present it to the DMV in Florida to have it certified as repaired and it still had a salvage title.

But they've come through with excellent customer service many times. In fact, once I was hit from behind and the gentleman who hit me had replaced his truck without informing his insurance company (Allstate if I remember correctly). They denied coverage for my car so I called USAA to let them know. They basically said "Stand by". WIthin 24 hours Allstate had called and agreed to fix my car regardless. Admittedly that was in the early 1990's.

Generally you will find that when you change insurance companies the rate is always better for a year or two and then creeps up. Often the coverage will be different also. USAA heavily rewards long term members with the rebates. Once I factor those in and insure the coverage is the same I can’t beat them. Their service is also very good if you ever need them. After a bad hail storm I had a very different experience than my neighbors.
I hear you and used to advocate for them. It’s been 4-5 years now and State Farm still smokes them on home/auto. Not even close. Even considering their yearly rebate deposit. Could be state/location specific?

I’ve been insured with State Farm for almost 45 years. I’ve never been able to beat them. Agreed that it might be location, but no other company has come close.

Sounds like a gimmick. Even in a car, how would it know if you are driving or riding?

I've had USAA since I enlisted in 95 and loved their service. Had an issue with shipping damage to my Harley coming from Germany and an hour after placing the call an adjuster was taking photos. 2 quotes later and a check was in my hand. Had a card stolen while in France and was nearly cleaned out but they gave great service and no hassle. Called me once a couple of years ago after I returned home from a vacation in Iceland to visit family. I was driving to work on base and they asked if I was still on vacation. I said no and they told me someone was on the line in Turkey claiming to be me and asking for a daily limit increase. They blocked all of my cards and accounts, overnighted me new cards, both debit and credit for my wife and I as well as changing account numbers and crediting me the lost money during the investigation.

Fast forward to a homeowners claim because of a hot water tank that ruptured during a period where the house was empty for 3 weeks and it was... too bad, so sad, should have taken care of the problem before it got that bad.

I hear you and used to advocate for them. It’s been 4-5 years now and State Farm still smokes them on home/auto. Not even close. Even considering their yearly rebate deposit. Could be state/location specific?

Lots of factors, one being which of the four USAA insurers is actually writing your premium. Each insurer has a different pool of insureds and different actuary tables based in the pool. It is what it is and for some it’s great and others it’s not. As a 26 year member, it would be hard for me to find a better insured, but Amica comes close and they seem to be pretty choosy on their members. This disclaimer is at the bottom of most usaa.com pages for auto/home insurance:

Property and casualty insurance provided by United Services Automobile Association, USAA Casualty Insurance Company, USAA General Indemnity Company, Garrison Property and Casualty Insurance Company, based in San Antonio, Texas.

Changing gears, in the homeowners arena USAA writes exclusion policies, other (not all) insurers write named peril policies. USAA also does not participate in all homeowner markets and that impacts the pool of insureds as well.

Having said that, as a privately held company, USAA also cannot do things a publicly traded company can do to raise income (issue/sell of stock) that can be invested to meet reserve requirements to pay out losses, so a lot of factors when comparing.

If there’s one thing USAA isn’t clear about, it’s the fine print. They try to level things out as much as possible, but the reality can be a stark contrast to the aspirations.

I've found insurance companies are like direct tv. Give you intro rate for a bit to get your business, then jack it up once they get comfortable. I play that shop around game every few years. Allstate had my home and auto. Ended up being more than 20% higher and cancelled. When the agent asked why I cancelled I told them how much higher they were. "Well next time call us and let us know and see if we can't keep your business". Lady, you had my business. You lost my business when, despite zero claims, and the same vehicles my rates kept increasing and were no longer competitive. And you're butthurt you didn't get a courtesy call?

I’m curious, though, how many refuse the black box of insurance economy, yet go home to Alexa or Siri?

No Siri, Alexa, Nest, Ecobee or Ring stuff at our place. No data unit for the insurance company on my 99 Super Duty (only usable vehicle right now) and I keep my iphone in low power mode at all times. My badge at work stays on the crew table unless I need to access tools in a different hangar. Takes some effort on “their” part to track me......

Back