US submarines leap forward in quietness

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Having served on a submarine, I still stay pretty close to the submarine community. Thrilled to hear they’re starting to put magneto hydrodynamic propulsion on our boats. The rumors are the Russians were working on this tech just before the Soviet Union fell and even outfitted one of their Typhoon class ballistic missile submarines with it. Unfortunately that boat was lost at sea during sea trials.

This is a game changer. A boat like this is practically undetectable. Great Leap Forward!

Having served on a submarine, I still stay pretty close to the submarine community. Thrilled to hear they’re starting to put magneto hydrodynamic propulsion on our boats. The rumors are the Russians were working on this tech just before the Soviet Union fell and even outfitted one of their Typhoon class ballistic missile submarines with it. Unfortunately that boat was lost at sea during sea trials.

This is a game changer. A boat like this is practically undetectable. Great Leap Forward!

I also served on a submarine, but then I decided that I liked the sun and flew airplanes instead.

Now that I know what to listen for...

I'm still waiting for the rabbits and the recreational vehicle. Maybe @Ted has some pointers?

Even our old subs were pretty quiet. In the 1980s, they usually had to augment their acoustic signatures for us (Patrol - P3Cs) to detect and localize them.

I'm sure Cummins is ****ed about losing the submarine propulsion contract.
I think they’ve been out of it for a long time. What parts did they make?

I'm sure Cummins is ****ed about losing the submarine propulsion contract.

I think first the navy has to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze, if it can even be squeezed.

I thought the problem today is that subs are too quiet. Now you look for where the noise isn't, because the sub is blocking it.

I sacrificed a Bach tape, but it wasn't a good one.

You sure it wasn’t Paganini?

Well, it was a cassette, so it's been a while. But I think it was Bach.
Bach is a composer, Paganini is a Tenor.

(yes, I know this is wrong)

It wasn't the best I've seen, but I thought this one was pretty well done. It was vague enough in the beginning that you could actually believe it and then added more and more hints along the way to that you were being had.

Another good one was several years ago with the Civil Air Patrol getting old A-10s being retired by the USAF.

Damn! I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Even forwarded it to an old submariner I worked with.
<head shake>

Damn! I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Even forwarded it to an old submariner I worked with.
<head shake>
Well make sure you go back to him and see if he fell for it too ;)

Well make sure you go back to him and see if he fell for it too ;)
He fell for it too.
In our defense, such a drive has been discussed for decades in the engineering and physics' applications communities.

I got a few younger submarines who inexplicably have never watched Red October. I'm sure they have it on board SOMEONE has to know to watch it.

I have always felt that Down Periscope is a more accurate portrayal of submarine life than Red October.
I don't know a whole lot about submarines, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the captain or anyone else alone to even drive it around on the surface, let alone dive it.

I have always felt that Down Periscope is a more accurate portrayal of submarine life than Red October.
I'm pretty sure The Hunt for Red October was not intended to be a realistic documentary about submarines.

I'm pretty sure The Hunt for Red October was not intended to be a realistic documentary about submarines.
But Down Periscope was? :lol:

Back