US Sectionals have lost foreign detail

I'm not sure how to parse this, but from the September 8 charting notice:

Effective November 3, 2023, Visual Flight Rules (VFR) aeronautical charts will no longer make reference to emergency value in private airport charting.

Only private airports with landmark value will be retained and charted beyond February 23, 2023.​
Now we can start talking about safety…

And the FIRC hammers away at developing a culture of safety. Yeah right.

Effective November 3, 2023, Visual Flight Rules (VFR) aeronautical charts will no longer make reference to emergency value in private airport charting.

Only private airports with landmark value will be retained and charted beyond February 23, 2023.​

They made that change to the ACUG. It's unclear what private use strips might lose their "landmark" value.

The FAA policy had been:
4. Private-use airports having emergency landing or landmark values.
FAA Order 7400.2N

Though it did say:
NOTE-
Airports of lesser aeronautical importance may be omitted in congested areas where other airports with adequate and better facilities are available nearby.

Last edited:
You can get Canadian VFR charts for free from the fltplanGo app. Also the base aeronautical charts on Foreflight and Garmin Pilot provide enough info to find your way around.

For what it's worth, it looks like the FAA's IFR enroute charts still provide coverage in the Great Lakes portions of Canada.

Got to love the FAA, they just get better every year lol

Maybe one of the FAA heads will take a flight, need to do a emergency landing, fly past a good strip that’s now not charted and end up in the trees or something

…who am I kidding, if that happened they’d blame it on something completely unrelated that would end up hurting the industry

The FAA is no friend to GA, if they had their way it would only be the major government subsidized airlines and government aircraft that could fly, kinda like China, it’s easy to read by them understanding the value in charting those fields anymore

Wish we could just dissolve the FAA and start over

Wow.

It's like a few years ago, when some of the aviation weather charts issued by NOAA stopped showing anything beyond US borders. Which was really stupid since weather moves across borders.

Just like then, safety of flight was compromised. To accomplish what?

Missing on the current ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, and Skyvector as well. Also the current sectionals downloadable from the FAA lack foreign detail.

Gone from my iFly subscriptions too ...

In a world of EFBs and digital charts... does it matter?

Actually, it does.
Especially for those of us with no onboard power, minimal instruments and are driven to go out and explore in our planes.

Here is an example from yesterday.
I decided to fly to 06N. I hadn't been there since 1966.
I plotted the course on my paper map at home. Hmmmm. I need to keep clear of the SWF class "D" space, since I rarely fly more than 1,500 agl and I never go near SWF because of the occasional Marine and USAF saturation of airspace.
When they decide to launch all the C-17s and C-130s you don't want to be anywhere near that place.
I use Avare on my phone to help me keep track of distances to things, just in case.
Just as I am about to make the turn around SWF and back onto my planned course, my phone locked up. Crap.
Wait, there is a private field a couple of klicks on, I'll go there and make my turn. Plenty safe.
Except next year the field won't be on the new paper map.
Probably much ado about nothing, but I'm getting old and set in my ways.

They made that change to the ACUG. It's unclear what private use strips might lose their "landmark" value.
The FAA policy had been:
4. Private-use airports having emergency landing or landmark values.
FAA Order 7400.2N
Though it did say:
NOTE-
Airports of lesser aeronautical importance may be omitted in congested areas where other airports with adequate and better facilities are available nearby.

Yeah. Make sure you plan your emergencies for airports with better facilities.

Yeah. Make sure you plan your emergencies for airports with better facilities.
Fine if you're in a metro area, but there are times we're out in the boonies and private strips may be the only reachable field.

Actually, it does.
Especially for those of us with no onboard power, minimal instruments and are driven to go out and explore in our planes.

Here is an example from yesterday.
I decided to fly to 06N. I hadn't been there since 1966.
I plotted the course on my paper map at home. Hmmmm. I need to keep clear of the SWF class "D" space, since I rarely fly more than 1,500 agl and I never go near SWF because of the occasional Marine and USAF saturation of airspace.
When they decide to launch all the C-17s and C-130s you don't want to be anywhere near that place.
I use Avare on my phone to help me keep track of distances to things, just in case.
Just as I am about to make the turn around SWF and back onto my planned course, my phone locked up. Crap.
Wait, there is a private field a couple of klicks on, I'll go there and make my turn. Plenty safe.
Except next year the field won't be on the new paper map.
Probably much ado about nothing, but I'm getting old and set in my ways.

Since this thread has meandered a bit, I should clarify --

I think moaning about loss of foreign airspace depiction on US charts, when those charts are available via paper and electronic form for a few gallons of 100LL -- is silly.

I think removing private airfields from current US charts is a terrible idea and worth raising a few pitchforks over.

I think moaning about loss of foreign airspace depiction on US charts, when those charts are available via paper and electronic form for a few gallons of 100LL -- is silly.

I think removing private airfields from current US charts is a terrible idea and worth raising a few pitchforks over.
I agree - though the former has me thinking about the definition of "charts" and 91.103. I'm an avid FF user - is their basemap and info available to me sufficient to fly VFR safely and legally? - say FPR to MYAT in my GNS430 equipped plane?

For the latter - in a litigious society such as ours, I would think the FAA would be adding to their risk exposure. 1) they are "taking away" information; 2) they are reducing the scope of 91.103 and our ability to manage the risks of our operation. One high profile off airport landing and I would think they are exposed.

The inconvenience factor is much greater than the cost factor. Let's say I want the charts for a flight across the part of Ontario sticking into the Detroit sectional. The options are (1) pay $100 more to Foreflight to get Canada charts, (2) use an EFB with a terrible UI for the flight, or (3) spend a few hours trying to figure out which charts I actually need and then a few weeks waiting for them to show up in the mail. Most pilots faced with those options are going to choose option #4: Follow the magenta line over the black hole on the chart and hope for the best.

Fine if you're in a metro area, but there are times we're out in the boonies and private strips may be the only reachable field.
Quite true. My Smart Glide ring is usually pretty lonesome, even with private strips included. There is almost no chance I will have an in-flight emergency within gliding range of a public airport. One wonders how much administrative overhead the FAA is really saving by this change in charting, especially if you add back in the time spent/wasted trying to decide which private airports qualify for the more restrictive charting qualification.

The inconvenience factor is much greater than the cost factor. Let's say I want the charts for a flight across the part of Ontario sticking into the Detroit sectional. The options are (1) pay $100 more to Foreflight to get Canada charts, (2) use an EFB with a terrible UI for the flight, or (3) spend a few hours trying to figure out which charts I actually need and then a few weeks waiting for them to show up in the mail. Most pilots faced with those options are going to choose option #4: Follow the magenta line over the black hole on the chart and hope for the best.

Quite true. My Smart Glide ring is usually pretty lonesome, even with private strips included. There is almost no chance I will have an in-flight emergency within gliding range of a public airport. One wonders how much administrative overhead the FAA is really saving by this change in charting, especially if you add back in the time spent/wasted trying to decide which private airports qualify for the more restrictive charting qualification.
Not long ago a US subscription to ForeFlight would allow you access to Canadian charts near the US border. When they took that away, one of their support people told me I could subscribe to Canadian charts, and cancel when I no longer needed access, and the unused subscription would be credited to my account. Never tried it, YMMV.

There's a note on the current Detroit sectional:
"Limited chart information provided outside of U.S. airspace. Refer to DoD (NGA) or foreign flight charts and flight information outside US airspace."

I'm too noob to post links, but there are google results for DoD (NGA) that might get you somewhere.

Not long ago a US subscription to ForeFlight would allow you access to Canadian charts near the US border. When they took that away, one of their support people told me I could subscribe to Canadian charts, and cancel when I no longer needed access, and the unused subscription would be credited to my account. Never tried it, YMMV.

There's a note on the current Detroit sectional:
"Limited chart information provided outside of U.S. airspace. Refer to DoD (NGA) or foreign flight charts and flight information outside US airspace."

I'm too noob to post links, but there are google results for DoD (NGA) that might get you somewhere.
I don't think we got the Canadian charts in the US Foreflight subscription. I just think that Foreflight was using the FAA's charts and those charts included the Canadian airspace near the border. The Canadian charts are very different from the US charts.

I don't think the NGA charts are available to civilians. Maybe severely out-of-date charts, like the Hanoi sectional circa 1968. :cool:

I agree with your analysis. Do you find the actions of the #4 set remotely defensible? I would think even having the expired canada charts would meet the emergency/navigational need of an overflight, and be way better than the "aw F it then" set in #4. :D

I assume garmin pilot allows expired canada charts to coast, like they do with US ones. Same idea I suppose, although it wouldn't carry between iPad upgrades.

I don't think we got the Canadian charts in the US Foreflight subscription. I just think that Foreflight was using the FAA's charts and those charts included the Canadian airspace near the border. The Canadian charts are very different from the US charts.

I don't think the NGA charts are available to civilians. Maybe severely out-of-date charts, like the Hanoi sectional circa 1968. :cool:
I did actually download a few Canadian charts on ForeFlight. Then a revision changed the downloads section and took that ability away. (This was fairly recent.) My above post was based on a phone call with ForeFlight support when they called me after I emailed a complaint.

I assume NGA isn't for us, but since they added the note on the sectional, I just googled for curiosity.

It's confusing as some of the US sectionals bear Canadian city names: Montreal and Halifax.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm assuming this also affects us in Texas. I for one, really want navigation information just to know what I'm looking at across the border in Mexico when I'm in Del Rio, or El Paso, or that kind of area. If the charts were already including that information, I can't for the life of me think why it's good that they stopped. There's a reason our charts overlap, and even if Mexico or Canada provide their own charts, there ought to be a bit of overlap between the US charts and the foreign charts for seamless navigation.

Whelp, here's the look at the San Antonio chart. That's the dumbest thing I've seen with the charts. Great job.

FAA New Charts.jpg

I haven't checked yet, but I'm assuming this also affects us in Texas. I for one, really want navigation information just to know what I'm looking at across the border in Mexico when I'm in Del Rio, or El Paso, or that kind of area. If the charts were already including that information, I can't for the life of me think why it's good that they stopped. There's a reason our charts overlap, and even if Mexico or Canada provide their own charts, there ought to be a bit of overlap between the US charts and the foreign charts for seamless navigation.

This is how ifly gps is showing the latest chart that includes Laredo and across the border.
91907dac204a3aa5ce04132700d5c620.jpg

I can select MMNL and bring up the approach freq and basic info on the airports along with comments that information is unverified.

I agree with your analysis. Do you find the actions of the #4 set remotely defensible? I would think even having the expired canada charts would meet the emergency/navigational need of an overflight, and be way better than the "aw F it then" set in #4. :D

I assume garmin pilot allows expired canada charts to coast, like they do with US ones. Same idea I suppose, although it wouldn't carry between iPad upgrades.
I'd have to ask a #4 pilot for his defense. Let me go ask a friend...

I keep a (relatively) recent sectional for my area of operations. I use it for flight planning sometimes, in conjunction with FF on my iPad. It's a more convenient format than the electronic version - the detail doesn't fade when you "zoom out." Just much easier to see a broader swath of geography, as opposed to the more limited EFB screen view. I don't use it in-flight, but do haul it along. . .

Each to his own - example - the "tape" displays on our Aspen are fine, but far, far less intuitive than the analog steam gauge AS and ALT presentations - the steam airspeed pointer instantaneously conveys the value simply by it's position on the gauge, assuming you've flown the same plane long enough. Almost the same for the altimeter - no need to read and interpret a number - you know by the pointer positions alone.

Dang young pilots.......Asked one if he had an old sectional he could give me.

He thought for a surprising time, then said that he had not ever had a paper sectional. Panel Garmin's, Ipad, EFB.

The possibility that the GPS signal might be shut off is so tiny, but if it happens, what is plan B?

I have made a lot of flights without looking at a sectional, but always had them along. Sometimes out of date, but most of the earth does not move often.
The map on the efb app will still work without gps. It would just become an electronic "paper chart"

I had an emergency landing in El Paso in 2018. It was very useful to have a bit of Mexico on my FAA chart to fully evaluate my options with a loss of engine power.

I'd have to ask a #4 pilot for his defense. Let me go ask a friend...

What flight rules does one have to follow when overflying Canada but taking off and landing in the US? Canadian or US rules?

Would the #4 pilot (or any of them using US charts) be compliant with the Canadian regulations?

I had an emergency landing in El Paso in 2018. It was very useful to have a bit of Mexico on my FAA chart to fully evaluate my options with a loss of engine power.

That’s an example of how safety of flight is harmed by this recent change.

Here's an example of how stupid it is to arbitrarily eliminate foreign aeronautical info from US VFR charts.

Tijuana Int'l (MMTJ) is two miles south of Brown Field (KSDM). The runways are of similar size and are aligned roughly the same. They look so similar that ATC likes to hear that you have both airports in sight, so eliminate confusion.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 3.23.42 PM.jpg

Now MMTJ is depicted on the Sectional and Terminal VFR charts with only a circle.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 2.55.49 PM.jpg

I agree - though the former has me thinking about the definition of "charts" and 91.103. I'm an avid FF user - is their basemap and info available to me sufficient to fly VFR safely and legally? - say FPR to MYAT in my GNS430 equipped plane?
When I was an AF pilot training instructor, the bulk of the cross-country navigation training we gave the students was in the IFR system. There were some minimal requirements for VFR legs during their training. I think they needed one or two complete VFR legs from origin to destination, and another where you filed somewhere IFR, then cancelled 80 miles out and proceeded to the field VFR. That was it. Suffice to say, students did not get a lot of exposure to VFR flight.

Consequently, the instructors didn't have much experience with VFR flight either. I came up in the GA world before I started my military flying, so I had a pretty solid background in the VFR flying world, as did a handful of my fellow instructors. The rest were a bit shaky on the pitfalls.

Part of the problem was that the Air Force gave us TPC (Tactical Pilotage Charts) to use for our VFR planning. These are the same scale (1:500,000) as a standard sectional, but with about 1/10 of the information. The TPCs showed MOAs and Restricted airspace, but that was about it. No Class B, C or D areas, VORs or any frequencies.

Here's a picture of the TPC that shows New Orleans and eastward, compared to the New Orleans sectional.
H24B.jpg

H24B Sect.jpg

It wasn't uncommon to see students (and IPs) plan a XC leg with no regard to airspace.

"Oh, you're planning on going from Mobile to New Orleans VFR at 6,500'. That sounds good. Do you know where Gulfport's TRSA is?" Then blank looks.

Needless to say, I always planned my XCs on a sectional, and taught my students to do the same.

This new lack of information on the sectionals is troubling...

Check your digital chart, it has changed also. Appears that only US airspace is in the traditional VFR sectionals now
IDK what it looked like before, but here is the border now on Skyvector(pretty sure it just uses the electronic FAA VFR charts that get printed to paper):
upload_2023-1-3_20-1-18.png

I'd be really curious to understand what the rationale for the change is? I can't believe it's a huge savings to the FAA. A lot of folks are saying to just suck it up and buy the CDN and other charts, which is ok if there's an offsetting giant savings somewhere else. I can't for the life of me figure out what that is.

I have the Garmin pilot Canada subscription BTW - the one thing I notice is that all the Quebec charts are now bilingual. Not sure I looked at Quebec specifically before, but it's clearly the Canada charts that start right at the border, different look and feel from the US ones.

Agree. It's making me consider adding the MX/South America subscription to my EFB since I fly the I-10 corridor enough every year.

If you are looking for Mexico VFR charts, good luck. Doesn't exist on Foreflight

you can find the old WAC charts you can download and import as files on the internet with the right Google search. But Mexico doesn't have standard VFR charts

Back