UPS 767 stuck in mud at BHM

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
I didn’t see any Judgmental Oversteering (JS) circles on the Jepp diagram. Maybe they need to be added.

Attachments

• 16C0E03D-ED4C-45BE-A765-F36F2D9034F3.png
    16C0E03D-ED4C-45BE-A765-F36F2D9034F3.png
    507.1 KB · Views: 228
  • FA08E4A3-373A-4815-80E0-ECD606C9E7A4.png
    FA08E4A3-373A-4815-80E0-ECD606C9E7A4.png
    524.8 KB · Views: 218
Pretty sure they were operating in an area not designed for such a large aircraft. It takes a tremendous amount of oversteering to make this type turn. Taxiway isn’t wide enough for that! Someone has a lot of splaining to do…

Attachments

• 142F6E4B-934A-4224-8071-994A82FD7CBB.png
    142F6E4B-934A-4224-8071-994A82FD7CBB.png
    567.1 KB · Views: 88
It looks like they were landing on 24 and instead of turning left at the end of the runway and going right to the ramp, they turned right towards Atlantic and we're screwed from there.

Pretty sure they were operating in an area not designed for such a large aircraft. It takes a tremendous amount of oversteering to make this type turn. Taxiway isn’t wide enough for that! Someone has a lot of splaining to do…

Not even close!

When I was deployed to Kirkuk Iraq, the mail arrived twice a week on a 727 named “Miss Nancy” flown by a crew from Bahrain. One day they followed the wrong turn line on the taxiway and did the same thing. We spent a week digging it out and finally used a forklift to tow it out backwards. Good thing it was winter because that poor crew wore the same clothes for a week.

Yeah, that turn(seemingly) to a reverse angle off looks problematic. What turn off are they at?
1899F851-425D-4758-8B50-B95E98577A1D.png

Apparently they are still trying to get this airplane out of the mud. They’ll probably have to lighten the load. Can’t transfer wing fuel on the 767 but it looks like there’s enough room to at least unload the top freight. Could probably get the belly freight out with some creative engineering.

When I was deployed to Kirkuk Iraq, the mail arrived twice a week on a 727 named “Miss Nancy” flown by a crew from Bahrain. One day they followed the wrong turn line on the taxiway and did the same thing. We spent a week digging it out and finally used a forklift to tow it out backwards. Good thing it was winter because that poor crew wore the same clothes for a week.

We had a crew on the E-3 that that tried to do a 180 at the end of the runway and put the right MLG into the dirt at Langley, where it promptly got stuck. Aircraft Commander tried to power thru and wedged the trucks up against the runway edge.

Similar deal, took something like four or five days to get unstuck. The entire flite deck crew was replaced flew home the next day where the AC and CP got FEB’d. The NAV and FE were given commander directed downgrades, the CP survived his FEB but was sent back thru initial qual and the AC lost his wings.

I will say, H2 doesn’t look quite as harsh on the taxi chart as in the photos. Poor vis, at night, tower closed, no HUD/EFVS. Night freight ops can be challenging, especially if dealing with fatigue.

Well he did nail the taxiway centerline with the nose gear. There’s that.

Well he did nail the taxiway centerline with the nose gear. There’s that.

Which is exactly what you’re NOT supposed to do when turning a 767. The nose gear is about 7’ behind the pilots so it always appears that you’re turning wider than actual. In tight situations it’s expected and required to use what’s referred to as Judgemental Oversteering. When oversteering, the nose gear tracks way off the centerline in order for the mains to clear. Occasionally judgmental oversteering requirements are noted on the jepp taxi diagram. This type of maneuvering is normally taught during the very first simulator lesson.

Which is exactly what you’re NOT supposed to do when turning a 767. The nose gear is about 7’ behind the pilots so it always appears that you’re turning wider than actual. In tight situations it’s expected and required to use what’s referred to as Judgemental Oversteering. When oversteering, the nose gear tracks way off the centerline in order for the mains to clear. Occasionally judgmental oversteering requirements are noted on the jepp taxi diagram. This type of maneuvering is normally taught during the very first simulator lesson.
Yeah, I know. I shoulda put a :fingerwag: there

While working on my RV at the hangar one day at St. Louis Downtown (KCPS), I heard a relatively large Delta airliner (I don't remember what exactly it was) on the radio telling the controller that he couldn't use taxiway B1 because the aircraft exceeded its limits. The controller insisted several times that they had an exception (probably a sports team on board, they are special you know). They managed to get left main stuck in the mud just like this case, so I walked down to the end of the hangar row to watch. The first time full power was applied they got a bit nervous as the airplane jumped and went back to idle, but the 2nd try they got it back on the pavement.

That was pretty cool to watch! I'm glad my airplane was not on the nearly ramp aft of the airliner.

OMG, my girlfriend was ON that plane! And ya, charter for the Cardinals! Small world….

25 years ago president Clinton got stuck in the mud at CMI. It's our claim to fame. I remember it being national news.

5d0ba51b38548.image.jpg

60123c275c82b.image.jpg

Didn't CMI also get to have the Idaho murder suspect take a leak a few weeks back?
Yeah that was in the news, but I didn't know what it was all about as I wasn't following the story.

Back