Jorge Martínez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George
I am new to the forum I own an upholstery shop I do custom work on cars, boats furniture, commercial and residential, and I would like to start working on aircraft seats I want to know if I need a license or FAA certification, if so where can I get it ?

Attachments

• B81AD764-0D9E-4E0D-A255-1624DE2E500D.jpeg
    B81AD764-0D9E-4E0D-A255-1624DE2E500D.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 46
As far as I know, you just need to have burn certs for the material you use. My seats are starting to show some wear if you wanna do mine lol. I assume you’re in Arkansas?

I want to know if I need a license or FAA certification, if so where can I get it ?
A much easier and better method is to visit your local airports and meet with the pilots, resident maintenance shops, and independent mechanics about your services. Or better, if you have friends or clients who are involved in aviation ask them if they would help you with some introductions. To actually perform the work you don't need any certification or license. The certification comes into play with what materials are used and when the new upholstery is completed and physically installed in the aircraft. For many years, when I had a customer who wanted a new interior I would remove it and take to an older gentleman in town who was a magician with all things upholstered. As the aircraft mechanic, I would handle all the FAA requirements with correct materials, etc., leaving Mr. Frank to work his magic on those tired old seats and panels. Good luck.

A related sidebar question. How much interior work would need to be done before a new W&B would be a good thing to do?

^^^^^^ first.
How much interior work would need to be done before a new W&B would be a good thing to do?
But if changing material types, changing interior layouts, or adding/removing specific fixtures over a broad arm, in W&B speak, then you may induce CG errors with a simple A-B=C calculation. For example, if you have a bucket commode in the back seat and decide to install a flushing Kohler model with your new interior, it would be more accurate to handle that seat with its own W&B calculation. But if the total change is over a wide area, sometimes it's best to reweigh the aircraft to get the most accurate CG data.

Last edited:
Someone must return to service on any work completed.

we have been thru this before

@Jorge Martínez

Springdale?

you're in a great area to get started because of the number of airfields in your immediate vicinity. Stop by the mechanics' shops at Springdale, Rogers, Fayetteville, Bentonville and introduce yourself. I'm confident there are ample opportunities for you in that area. Aviation is big,

You can also hit NW AR Regional and Siloam Springs.

good luck!

A much easier and better method is to visit your local airports and meet with the pilots, resident maintenance shops, and independent mechanics about your services. Or better, if you have friends or clients who are involved in aviation ask them if they would help you with some introductions. To actually perform the work you don't need any certification or license. The certification comes into play with what materials are used and when the new upholstery is completed and physically installed in the aircraft. For many years, when I had a customer who wanted a new interior I would remove it and take to an older gentleman in town who was a magician with all things upholstered. As the aircraft mechanic, I would handle all the FAA requirements with correct materials, etc., leaving Mr. Frank to work his magic on those tired old seats and panels. Good luck.
Thanks for your help , I will stop by...

@Jorge Martínez

Springdale?

you're in a great area to get started because of the number of airfields in your immediate vicinity. Stop by the mechanics' shops at Springdale, Rogers, Fayetteville, Bentonville and introduce yourself. I'm confident there are ample opportunities for you in that area. Aviation is big,

You can also hit NW AR Regional and Siloam Springs.

good luck!
once I went to get info to jump in the skydiving club in Siloam Springs, the person who attended me asked me about my shirt because it had my logo and told him that I own the shop, he asked me for an estimate to replace the carpet of 2 planes and the pilot's seat of one of those, as I did not know exactly about the materials I asked my provider for info, when I returned the club was permanently closed, I could not contact that person but I am interested in working in aircraft’s upholstery thats why I am looking for help to be able to do it correctly, anyway thanks for your information.

Attachments

• E13FE4DF-01ED-4DD9-85BE-95E5B727B2D6.jpeg
    E13FE4DF-01ED-4DD9-85BE-95E5B727B2D6.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
He even has wings on his logo![/
the logo was designed by a friend, MTZ is the abbreviation of my last name I asked him to design it with wings because in Mexico I was a member of the Mexican Air Force Paratroopers Brigade, at the same time I said that one day my work was going to fly because I thought about aircraft upholstery ...

Do you still jump privately?
Last time It was 4 years ago that’s why I wanted to jump at the Siloam Springs DZ, but they closed it , but in Fayetteville Ar there is another club but it was just for licensed skydivers , I don’t want Tandem but now they have the static line solo course so as soon as I have a chance I will go to take the ground school and start diving the sky again..

Back