Upgrading to sell ever worth it?

Retailguy - I think you have me confused with someone who wants to flip a plane. It also looks like your beef with my opinion is for that purpose. I don't have the facilities, authorization or desire to do so. I'm not arguing that the plane isn't worth it for someone who flips airplanes, I got no dog in that fight. I simply wouldn't buy the plane because of the color.

Retailguy - I think you have me confused with someone who wants to flip a plane. It also looks like your beef with my opinion is for that purpose. I don't have the facilities, authorization or desire to do so. I'm not arguing that the plane isn't worth it for someone who flips airplanes, I got no dog in that fight. I simply wouldn't buy the plane because of the color.
Tire kickers will use any reason not to buy.

Well if not wanting to fly a baby poop yellow airplane makes me a tire kicker, then a tire kicker I am.

Umm. No, not at all. That was the farthest thing from my mind.

True but consider the cost and time to install a Garmin 530 or 750 plus newer transponder and autopilot. That's easily 40-60k plus a month of time. I'd rather find the plane equipped the way I want it even if it costs more up front than a plane with runout engine and legacy avionics. Now if you're not flying IFR or long XC trips and just flying short hamburger trips then you don't need these fancy expensive upgrades. Experimental aircraft are less expensive option as well.

While we're on the subject, let's take two airplanes, Identical in every way, except one has ADS-B in/out, and the other does not.
The one with, has an asking price a few AMU more than the one without. Which one would you be more interested in?

My experience as an owner on my third twin, is that you can:

1. Never get your money back on mechanical fixes, engine overhauls, mechanical upgrades etc.
2. You can potentially get your money back on panel and interior and paint.

People buy everything with their eyes. Simple as that. Airplanes are no different than cars or real estate in that regard.

No. However, I did it because I am past 70 so my son will get the plane after I have died and I did not want him to have to spend any additional money on the plane and I wanted it to be as safe as it can be. After spending 70K on paint and issues after an autopilot malfunction whose recovery required a full structural inspection (sudden pitch down while on ILS in IMC (-9 on the trim before it disconnected and two windows were broken) I spent an additional $80K on avionics all housed in a 1964 S model bonanza. No way I would sell it and I can only insure it for $140K.

Last edited:
Back