Upgrade to Windows 11?

While I'm sure Ubuntu/Linux is faster on bootup, there has to be something up with your Windows unit. My W10 on a 4-yr old i7 processor and SSD boots up and is able to get to the log-on screen in less than 15 seconds, and I'm up and running in under a minute for sure.

The automatic updates can bring it to it’s knees, I would turn it off.

Our laptops have to load a connect profile first, as we have a number of domains, based on what division you work for and what you got assigned when you were given an account. Once that has loaded, then your basic login starts, then the two factor authentication stuff starts up. Once that's complete, Box and ZScaler all have to load and update, and somewhere in there Windows does it's updates. We have no control over what loads, or the order. The it goobers have defaulted to a specific set of software that must be on every computer, even if it's not required by the user, or even needed for their job or what they access. Where I'm at, we have no use for about 80% of what is loaded on the laptops, and we are blown off by IT, and they seem to fail to understand that these laptops are shared assets between close to 500 employees.

While I'm sure Ubuntu/Linux is faster on bootup, there has to be something up with your Windows unit. My W10 on a 4-yr old i7 processor and SSD boots up and is able to get to the log-on screen in less than 15 seconds, and I'm up and running in under a minute for sure.
I was going to say... my Asus laptop is several years old and boots from a cold machine in less than a minute. Seconds, really.

Using laptops with roaming profiles and multiple domains is a lousy way to do things, in my view. PITA to support, slow, probably pretty vulnerable. Guessing an old company with lots of legacy stuff that hasn't been upgraded in years, maybe with some mergers or consolidations that weren't fully baked mixed in. Our systems are bad, but not that bad. I'd love to move everyone over to Chromebook that has Internet access, and just use laptops for the folks that need to work where there's no Internet, but that'll take a while.

Running Windows 10 Home on my laptop, is it worth upgrading to Windows 11?
I updated to 11 on my laptop just because I got tired of it nagging me and it was free. I can't notice any improvement or degradation so it was just a cosmetic change for me.

Tom: The problem for us is over 114,000 employees spread across over 14,000 locations worldwide. In my case, I cover over 50 physical locations within a single facility on a routine basis, and we have to be able to access it all from anywhere in the world. I have to use whatever laptop I can get, at the location, or a desktop, if it's available. Between the three shifts, there are just over 400 of us in this facility alone, that do what I do. Last time I counted, I had a local account on over 300 computers.... The other thing that drives this, is that most of the software that I use, is SAP based, so mandatory link to our mainframes, as well as our main client's.

Tom: The problem for us is over 114,000 employees spread across over 14,000 locations worldwide. In my case, I cover over 50 physical locations within a single facility on a routine basis, and we have to be able to access it all from anywhere in the world. I have to use whatever laptop I can get, at the location, or a desktop, if it's available. Between the three shifts, there are just over 400 of us in this facility alone, that do what I do. Last time I counted, I had a local account on over 300 computers.... The other thing that drives this, is that most of the software that I use, is SAP based, so mandatory link to our mainframes, as well as our main client's.

That size and scope sounds miserable, from an IT perspective. I work with a similar number of endpoints, but maybe 1/10th the locations, and all CONUS. So my environment is simpler than yours by a good amount. Sounds like you have a specialized job where you cross between business units. We don't let anyone have local accounts. For Windows, they're all domain based. In the event that they need to be elevated or local, they're using a PAM system to create the accounts dynamically as needed. For remote access we're using a lot of VDI, just makes things simpler.

SAP was always kinda miserable, too, in my view (trend in IT things?). I would expect it to be all web based by now, with the back end having hooks into a mainframe if you needed that. Having a fat client on a notebook that needs direct connectivity to a mainframe, in 2022, is silly, in my view. If someone proposed a setup like that in the environment I work in - and we have a lot of old stuff - we'd ask when they were going to fix that. That's a solution from the 90's. Even Oracle financials are web based, and Oracle leads the way in being behind the curve.

I have been Linux native for years. Ever since mickycrap attemped to hijack my win 7 pc by downloading win 10 without my authorization. Bastards.. Linux Mint rules the day... There is NOTHING I can't do under linux that I was doing under winblows. For the 1 or 2 little things, I have a win7 install under virtualbox I can fire up.

I have been Linux native for years. Ever since mickycrap attemped to hijack my win 7 pc by downloading win 10 without my authorization. Bastards.. Linux Mint rules the day... There is NOTHING I can't do under linux that I was doing under winblows. For the 1 or 2 little things, I have a win7 install under virtualbox I can fire up.

Only 1 or 2 things? You must not do very much, or you like using a screwdriver to pound in nails from time to time.

I've tried to switch, but it there was much lacking.

Only 1 or 2 things? You must not do very much, or you like using a screwdriver to pound in nails from time to time.

I've tried to switch, but it there was much lacking.

I do video editing, graphics, web surfing, email, video conferenceing, word processing, bill paying, document scanning...

I do video editing, graphics, web surfing, email, video conferenceing, word processing, bill paying, document scanning...

How's the database <==> spreadsheet <==> word processing <==> email <==> interface?
Can I put a database together with a usable GUI that I can throw on a jump drive for someone to use on Windows in an afternoon with the ability to go beyond SQL for data manipulation? Or does that other user need Linux too?

How's the database <==> spreadsheet <==> word processing <==> email <==> interface?
Can I put a database together with a usable GUI that I can throw on a jump drive for someone to use on Windows in an afternoon with the ability to go beyond SQL for data manipulation? Or does that other user need Linux too?

I use thunderbird for email and Libreoffice for all the office stuff. I can't really speak on database stuff as I don't do much of that.

I use thunderbird for email and Libreoffice for all the office stuff. I can't really speak on database stuff as I don't do much of that.

LibreOffice is okay for basic excel stuff, but it lacks a lot of the more complex tools of full-on Office, especially when it comes to add-ons and integration with external databases. That said, I use LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) for Excel/Word/etc. needs at home rather than pay Office365 subscriptions. I wouldn't be able to use it for corporate work though.

LibreOffice is okay for basic excel stuff, but it lacks a lot of the more complex tools of full-on Office, especially when it comes to add-ons and integration with external databases. That said, I use LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) for Excel/Word/etc. needs at home rather than pay Office365 subscriptions. I wouldn't be able to use it for corporate work though.

I have more back end programming in Excel than I do using the formulas. I'm not going to do 10 nested IFs when I can run a Select Case in VBA.

To be fair, that's all pretty basic stuff from the perspective of a modern PC, maybe depending on what you mean by "graphics".

In my case, add to the above: Photoshop and Lightroom, virtual reality for flight sims and games, ripping and conversion of physical media then output to home theater system.

As much as I am in favor of the theory behind Linux, I just can't yet. I tried it just for HTPC purposes, then went back to Windows. We've heard every year for a decade-and-a-half that "this is the year for Linux".

Even when there are workarounds to get Windows-native software to work, or when there are similar applications that are advertised as replacements, there are questions about drivers, interactions with peripherals, supported file types, etc that just make everything a pain. And for flight sims especially, it would likely be a nightmare to get all of the cursory components talking to each other, like the VR headset, throttle, stick, and rudder, the simshaker software and bass transducer, and so on.

I'd love to get off of the Microsoft ecosystem, but unfortunately everything good on PC is written for it.

To be fair, that's all pretty basic stuff from the perspective of a modern PC, maybe depending on what you mean by "graphics".

In my case, add to the above: Photoshop and Lightroom, virtual reality for flight sims and games, ripping and conversion of physical media then output to home theater system.

As much as I am in favor of the theory behind Linux, I just can't yet. I tried it just for HTPC purposes, then went back to Windows. We've heard every year for a decade-and-a-half that "this is the year for Linux".

Even when there are workarounds to get Windows-native software to work, or when there are similar applications that are advertised as replacements, there are questions about drivers, interactions with peripherals, supported file types, etc that just make everything a pain. And for flight sims especially, it would likely be a nightmare to get all of the cursory components talking to each other, like the VR headset, throttle, stick, and rudder, the simshaker software and bass transducer, and so on.

I'd love to get off of the Microsoft ecosystem, but unfortunately everything good on PC is written for it.

Last time I went to do a Linux install it needed to download a few drivers. One of the drivers being the Ethernet card. Yeah, kinda hard to download that when you can't connect. lol

Last time I went to do a Linux install it needed to download a few drivers. One of the drivers being the Ethernet card. Yeah, kinda hard to download that when you can't connect. lol
Yeah, the drivers were tough. I remember struggling with the Nvidia drivers for my GPU. I do see on the Linux Mint website that they say they have improved things on that front, and to be fair it's been a few years since I tried. But since I like to build my PCs and keep them pretty modern hardware-wise (I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance to a Micro Center), these things complicate matters when swapping hardware. Pretty much every box in the component section of Micro Center lists Windows compatibility, not so much macOS or Linux unfortunately.

Sounds like that was a while ago. NIC makers take Linux a lot more seriously these days so they'll push drivers to the kernel guys pretty early on. And/Or have a compatibility mode to get you bootstrapped. Plus, there's been a lot of consolidation in that industry over the past several years.

Also, I've run into the same situation trying to install Windows on my latest and greatest just released (at the time) motherboard.

That said, I'll bet you have a ton of other reasons Linux can't be your daily driver.

Two years ago I bought a System76 laptop with their flavor of Ubuntu, Pop! OS. I have never looked back. It is fast, user friendly, and perfect for my needs. Most of what I do is cloud based, so I do not need to install any specific local software that cannot be replaced by an existing Linux application. Your mileage may vary, and most workplaces may not be particularly supportive of Linux for users that connect remotely to their system, though. Also, if you absolutely need/want Microsoft Office, Linux won't work. Microsoft supports practically every operating system for Office 365, except Linux...

Email works on anything, and I find libre fine for word processing and spreadsheet. I switched from Photoshop to Gimp for photo editing, and it's just about as good and doesn't have either miserable licensing or upgrades. Freecad is fine for me.

The app I miss the most is Access. A simple GUI for lightweight sql is really handy for me...mostly just for work, though, so perhaps I don't really need that capability. Or maybe there's something out there in the Linux world that I just haven't found yet.

Back