upgrade to ADS-B w/ a gns530

pipernd

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I am looking at a plane that has gns430/530 stack but are non-waas

Plane also has a garmin 330 transponder with TIS. Given that it has TIS, doesn't it have to be a garmin 330ES? (that's at least how I read the Garmin website)

so. . . is all I need to do to get ADS-B complaint to upgrade one of the GNS to WAAS?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking at 2 aircraft and trying to balance the plusses and minuses of each.

I am looking at a plane that has gns430/530 stack but are non-waas

Plane also has a garmin 330 transponder with TIS. Given that it has TIS, doesn't it have to be a garmin 330ES? (that's at least how I read the Garmin website)

so. . . is all I need to do to get ADS-B complaint to upgrade one of the GNS to WAAS?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking at 2 aircraft and trying to balance the plusses and minuses of each.

That's a chunk of $ there. One of the GPS's will need to be upgraded to WAAS (if not both) and the GTX330 would need to be upgraded to ES to get ADS-B out.

Another option, depending on how high the airplane flys, would be to install a GDL-88 with an internal WAAS GPS. That gets you far more data link capability for ADS-B traffic and weather.

Or upgrade 430/530 GPS to WAAS and get the GDL-88 without the internal GPS and leave the transponder a non-ES

if the transponder has TIS isn't it already ES?

It's not that bad at all.

If you're just looking to get it done, upgrade the 330 to ES for about 2k. If it's ES it'll say when it boots up.

Upgrade one GNS (the 430 or 530) to WAAS, little over 3k, once you do this both boxes will still work but won't cross fill, if that's something important to you.

Upgrade the second GNS box whenever you want.

FYI a GNS may not have "530W" printed on its faceplate and still can be a WAAS unit, check by booting up, it'll say 530W or just 530

Ether way, no biggie you're mostly already there as far as the ADSB BS goes and you have a good stack, don't let people try to scam you into "upgrading" or paying more than you have to.

It's not that bad at all.

If you're just looking to get it done, upgrade the 330 to ES for about 2k. If it's ES it'll say when it boots up.

Upgrade one GNS (the 430 or 530) to WAAS, little over 3k, once you do this both boxes will still work but won't cross fill, if that's something important to you.

Upgrade the second GNS box whenever you want.

FYI a GNS may not have "530W" printed on its faceplate and still can be a WAAS unit, check by booting up, it'll say 530W or just 530

Ether way, no biggie you're mostly already there as far as the ADSB BS goes and you have a good stack, don't let people try to scam you into "upgrading" or paying more than you have to.

I vaguely recall the upgrade to WAAS also requires new antenna & cable. If so, factor that in. (I'm am not confident that this is true, but I do remember reading it.)

John

So in summary, you need a WAAS capable 430/530 to feed the 330ES ?

Was the deadline for installing Mode S ES in 2019, or am I mistaken?

So in summary, you need a WAAS capable 430/530 to feed the 330ES ?

Was the deadline for installing Mode S ES in 2019, or am I mistaken?

Yes, both need to be at or above a specific software version level.

January 1, 2020

You have a choice after you upgrade one of the GPS units to wass,either go for the 330!es upgrade,or the GDL 88 .I chose to install the 330 es.

Sell the 430 and use the proceeds to upgrade the 530 and the 330.

Sell the 430 and use the proceeds to upgrade the 530 and the 330.

Oh heck no.

Just do it piece by piece.

A 530/430/330 is a awesome working IFR stack.

Back