Updated AOPA realtime flight planner

Do you use AOPA Real time flight planner.

• Yes-On every XC flight

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Yes-Now and then when I remember its on my PC.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No-Didn't know about it.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No- Not an AOPA member.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I just downloaded the new updated AOPA real time flight planner, It has some nice new features. Just wondering how many of you have downloaded it and do you use it that much.

Last edited:
Your poll did not have a choice for me. I have it I just do not use it. I prefer the Duats Golden Eagle product.

Betther charts, can work offline, can use it through a firewall, easier to plane a flight with.

smigaldi said:
Your poll did not have a choice for me. I have it I just do not use it. I prefer the Duats Golden Eagle product.

Betther charts, can work offline, can use it through a firewall, easier to plane a flight with.

What he said. The AOPA planner is almost useless.

I use it, but agree that the necessity of a 'Net connection is limiting.

I have to try Golden Eagle.

I use Aeroplanner and it seems to work alright. Although I am generally frustrated at the small map view offered. You can increase the resolution but it's still annoying to have to click and wait for a page to reload just to see a little bit further over on a map.

Anyways. I'm confused. What is the purpose of a flight planner? There is a reason that DIRECT TO was invented.

How about "Don't use it because there isn't a Mac version?"

I do have an Intel Mac now so maybe I should give it a shot, but I actually tried it in Virtual PC a while back and thought it was a piece of crap. It made me realize that the Mac experience isn't simply the OS, it's the excellent software that's available. RTFP was painful to use, very windows-y. Seemed like there was too much input required that could have easily been automated.

I down loaded it to see what it would do, it has some nice features about it, but by the time I dial in and connect(No DSL in the country), I could do it the old fashion way.

I tried loading GOlden Eagle so I could compare, but the install never seems to start. It hasn't been important enough to troubleshoot, since I've been satisfied with (though not thrilled by) RTFP.

smigaldi said:

Like, Scott, needed ports are blocked at work, so I can only use it at home. No good if I'm going flying after work. Golden Eagle doesn't have this problem, so I use it more.

Ghery said:
Like, Scott, needed ports are blocked at work, so I can only use it at home. No good if I'm going flying after work.
I was one of the beta testers. I never used the final product for this very reason.

flyingcheesehead said:

I do have an Intel Mac now so maybe I should give it a shot, but I actually tried it in Virtual PC a while back and thought it was a piece of crap. It made me realize that the Mac experience isn't simply the OS, it's the excellent software that's available...

SPAM alert. You couldn't use the software on your MacPuter because the stupid cursor was always screwed up. Admit it!!! :rofl: Gee Kent, otherwise you seem like such a rational guy.

So how the heck can you load Golden Eagle? Their download link is no worky.

I've been using RTFP, but I downloaded Golden Eagle and have been using that, but I still don't know how to use it well. I find it less intuitive than RTFP, so I'll have to play with it more.

flyingcheesehead said:

I do have an Intel Mac now so maybe I should give it a shot, but I actually tried it in Virtual PC a while back and thought it was a piece of crap. It made me realize that the Mac experience isn't simply the OS, it's the excellent software that's available. RTFP was painful to use, very windows-y. Seemed like there was too much input required that could have easily been automated.
Dittos here. My desktop is a Mac G4 and I got a couple of Mac laptops. Have a PC with high-speed DSL internet at the hangar, but PCs and Windows frustrate me too much. And when I downloaded the AOPA Flight Planner, I found it really cumbersome to use.

-JD

gibbons said:
SPAM alert. You couldn't use the software on your MacPuter because the stupid cursor was always screwed up. Admit it!!! :rofl:

LOL Chip!

You know, I thought I experienced that problem a few days ago, but then I did something and the cursor went back to normal. :dunno:

SCCutler said:
So how the heck can you load Golden Eagle? Their download link is no worky.
I just managed to get it yesterday as a result of this thread. Go to http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=gefp_dl_pgmdata.
It's not as intuitive as RTFP, but has some nice features, like the weight & balance section. Some things missing, like the ability to copy aircraft profiles, but I was able to create a C182 from scratch without too much difficulty. Seems as if there are three different places to register yourself, though!

Need another option,dont use it ,cause i use other planner.
I use Destination Direct
Dave G

Anthony said:
I've been using RTFP, but I downloaded Golden Eagle and have been using that, but I still don't know how to use it well. I find it less intuitive than RTFP, so I'll have to play with it more.

Ditto!!

Last edited:
I used to use RTFP and Golden Eagle; both have their strong points. I like the printouts from RTFP better, but find flight planning easier in GE.

BUT, last weekend, when I was trying to plan some IFR flights, I ran into problems with both. The Jepp server was down, so couldn't access RTFP. The new GE version (I think 3.0.6) crashes on startup every time, and nothing I did (reload, repair, reboot) fixed it. Had to plan the old-fashioned way...ugh! :rolleyes:

Then I remembered AvConsumer had a review on some flight planner -- Voyager Free Flight from Seattleavioncs.com. They spoke highly of it, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I highly recommend it. It's easy to use, the free version has all the features I needed (although it only supports DUAT, not CSC-DUATS, so you'll need a DUAT logon for weather -- really a minor point, but took me a few minutes to figure out). Nice trip packaging, easy flight planning, simple interface that I could use without referring to HELP. The only thing that bugs me is the amateurish appearance of the FAA flight plan printout -- it really sticks out in an otherwise professional-looking package. Other than that, thumbs up! Give it a try, you may like it...

Back