Update 4-12

The Old Man

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
The Old Man
Well, it has ben a week of bad times with some good mixed in.
The last revenge of the radiation has struck. My esophagus has rebelled completely. Either scar tissue build up, ulcers, or just some kind of blockage. Nearly constant discomfort at some level near pain. We have tried one medicine for ulcers, and it has no seeming effect. We are now deciding on what to do next.
Eating is an unpleasant chore, but I am forcing myself to do it. As a result, although the weight is back down to 140, I am building little strength and endurance back. (Can't do milkshakes right now, cold is just too painful to swallow.) I have to let an Ensure come to almost room temp before I can drink it.)
My cough went dry late last week, further irritating my bronchii and triggering some bloody sputum. However, it went very wet the first part of the week as apparently a new lobe of the lung was freed up by the shrinkage of the tumor. After some ugly sputum, suddenly my pulse ox took another jump up. 98% is now the new norm, and it gets there very quickly after exertion.
In spite of the discomfort in the chest, I am sleeping well again, so that is good.
I was also very pleased and happy about the response to last weeks update. After only 3 responses week before, there were over 20 between the 2 boards last week. Friends I cannot emphasize how much that means to Sandra and I. Thank you.
Yesterday, we went ahead with round 2 of this set of chemo. This inspite of my falling red blood count. We'll see how that goes. Getting at least adequate nutrition will hopefully keep this one from knocking me too far back.

Here's a tip of the hat to more good days than bad as you continue your travels.

Bo,

I haven't weighed in but have been reading your posts. Don't think I have ever had the pleasure of chatting with you.

Not sure what to say except hang in there my friend. I have been praying for you and hoping your discomfort isn't too hard on you. It is bad enough to be sick but I know the discomfort can wear you down a lot.

I know you have went through tough times but I hear good spirits in your messages and I know how important that is. I am sure more tough times are on the way but you already know that. Stay strong, stay positive, you can whoop this.

Keep the messages coming when you are up to it, and know that we are all hoping the best for you and your family.

Tim

In spite of the discomfort in the chest, I am sleeping well again, so that is good.

That in itself makes a huge difference, I'm sure.

Between 15 years in healthcare and seeing its effects on family, I know cancer is a tough battle. Positive thoughts your way and keep fighting the good fight!

Prayers have been continuing. Really.

Nutella might slide down easily, and it packs a lot of calories per ounce.:dunno:

Bo,

You have my thoughts and prayers. I find your courage and fortitude refreshing and desperately hope you can remain in high spirits throughout.

Eggman

Prayers have been continuing. Really.

Nutella might slide down easily, and it packs a lot of calories per ounce.:dunno:

Thanks for the suggestion, Geoff. However, chocolate seems to be very irritating to the damaged esophagus. Sob, sob, I've had to give up on the Blue Bell Dutch chocolate milk shakes. Sob, Sob. just too painful.

Hang in there. This is a tough road.

And doubly sorry about the chocolate milkshakes. That's baaad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One good thing about this, the loving Redhead is wracking her memory for very thing I have mentioned over the last 26 years for those things that haven't been part of our regular diet. Last night I nearly made myself sick eating butterscotch pudding. MMMMMMM good.
She also found a recipe last year for a chicken pot pie that is to die for. Just finished it for dinner tonight through the groans.

Last edited:
you'll look back on this with not so fond memories . . . . but you will look BACK on it.

It takes guts to be sick. . . . being healthy is easy.

You'll get through this, sir!

Are you in Plano? That's where my siblings live. Next time I come down, would you be too troubled to meet a fellow aviator?

Well, it has ben a week of bad times with some good mixed in.
The last revenge of the radiation has struck. My esophagus has rebelled completely. Either scar tissue build up, ulcers, or just some kind of blockage. Nearly constant discomfort at some level near pain. We have tried one medicine for ulcers, and it has no seeming effect. We are now deciding on what to do next.
Eating is an unpleasant chore, but I am forcing myself to do it. As a result, although the weight is back down to 140, I am building little strength and endurance back. (Can't do milkshakes right now, cold is just too painful to swallow.) I have to let an Ensure come to almost room temp before I can drink it.)
My cough went dry late last week, further irritating my bronchii and triggering some bloody sputum. However, it went very wet the first part of the week as apparently a new lobe of the lung was freed up by the shrinkage of the tumor. After some ugly sputum, suddenly my pulse ox took another jump up. 98% is now the new norm, and it gets there very quickly after exertion.
I was also very pleased and happy about the response to last weeks update. After only 3 responses week before, there were over 20 between the 2 boards last week. Friends I cannot emphasize how much that means to Sandra and I. Thank you.
Yesterday, we went ahead with round 2 of this set of chemo. This inspite of my falling red blood count. We'll see how that goes. Getting at least adequate nutrition will hopefully keep this one from knocking me too far back.

Bo, you are a warrior!

You'll get through this, sir!

Are you in Plano? That's where my siblings live. Next time I come down, would you be too troubled to meet a fellow aviator?

Ben,
Yes, we live in Plano. Glad to meet you. When you have a time frame, I'll PM ypu addy and Phone number.

Bo, sorry to hear you've been sick! And that I haven't weighed in on other posts--I just haven't seen them, nor realize what you were going through! Due to a busy work schedule my PoA time has lately been "scan the front page" then "go look at my subscribed threads" (ones I've participated in).

Anyway, I'll go find your other posts now and catch up. Glad to hear that things may be turning around, and that there are some positive signs in this report!

God bless you, Bo.
Fighting and not quitting is 3/4ths of the outcome.

Back