Unruly Crew

RotorAndWing

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Rotor&Wing
From AvHerald

A Delta Airlines Boeing 757-200, registration N751AT performing flight DL-2598 from Los Angeles,CA to Minneapolis,MN (USA), was enroute at FL370 about 180nm south of Salt Lake City,UT (USA) when the captain decided to divert the aircraft to Salt Lake City telling ATC he wanted to hear from his flight attendants. The aircraft landed safely on Salt Lake City's runway 16R about 40 minutes after leaving FL370.

A passenger reported that three cabin crew were sent off due to "bad behaviour". The airline subsequently sent a letter of apology stating: "... some of our team members did not display their best behavior. We expect our flight crew to be nothing but courteous and professional at all times and what you experienced was far from that. I am sorry we didn’t deliver on our brand promise for you today."

The aircraft remained on the ground for about 80 minutes, then continued the flight reaching Minneapolis with a delay of 75 minutes.

interesting.

Kind of different from the behavior of the Jetblue 288 flight crew 18 Jan, who tried to fanagle a fuel stop in Las Vegas rather than take on enough fuel at the gate after de-icing. I'm sure they weren't looking for a free night in Vegas. Nope, I'm sure.

LOL I love the office space speak. "team members", " brand promise". They spoke of "us" the same way when I was manning registers at JCPenney for 6.75/hr. Serfs need their illusions.

Kind of different from the behavior of the Jetblue 288 flight crew 18 Jan, who tried to fanagle a fuel stop in Las Vegas rather than take on enough fuel at the gate after de-icing. I'm sure they weren't looking for a free night in Vegas. Nope, I'm sure.

You seem to like ragging on JetBlue, but I'm curious - what makes you think the crew tried to 'fanagle' a fuel stop in Vegas?

I guess being a team member,is not always an easy task. Want the full story.

Discontinuing the flight seems like a pretty drastic action on the part of the captain, doesn't it?

You seem to like ragging on JetBlue, but I'm curious - what makes you think the crew tried to 'fanagle' a fuel stop in Vegas?

Instead of going back to the gate to get fuel, they wanted to depart BOS with a fuel stop in Las Vegas. Conveniently, they had enough duty day left to get to Las Vegas but not all the way the LAX.

Instead of going back to the gate to get fuel, they wanted to depart BOS with a fuel stop in Las Vegas. Conveniently, they had enough duty day left to get to Las Vegas but not all the way the LAX.

Was there ground icing conditions in BOS? No sense in going back for fuel, then having to deice again.

Plus, if they had to go back to the gate for fuel they may not have had enough duty time to even launch for LA.

Was there ground icing conditions in BOS? No sense in going back for fuel, then having to deice again.

nope.

the snow had stopped prior to deicing. No more precip. By then, it was sunny.

Plus, if they had to go back to the gate for fuel they may not have had enough duty time to even launch for LA.

pretty stupid of Jetblue to schedule a crew without enough duty day to handle the forecasted conditions. The snow shouldn't have suprised anyone.

pretty stupid of Jetblue to schedule a crew without enough duty day to handle the forecasted conditions. The snow shouldn't have suprised anyone.

Schedules are completed long before weather is ever forecast.

nope.

the snow had stopped prior to deicing. No more precip. By then, it was sunny.

It is still possible to have ground icing conditions. Our old company manual said taxiing through slush or snow was ground icing conditions.
I'm not saying that is the case here, just pointing out the possibility.

all airlines do that. I don't know of any FA that hasn't flown illegal.

This flight landed in KMSP nearly 24 hours ago. I am surprised that we haven't had any additional info after the passengers were on the ground.

Schedules are completed long before weather is ever forecast.

Completely irrelevant. It's stupid to have the crew show up for a flight they can't complete.

Completely irrelevant. It's stupid to have the crew show up for a flight they can't complete.

Totally relevant. The crew may have started their duty, then received a delay due to the snow in Boston. This sort of thing does happen.

Are you familiar with the way airline crews are scheduled? Scheduling can't call the hotel and tell you to stay in rest.

bhlpxt.jpg

:D:D

Come back when you actually know what you are talking about.

typical - I would expect better behavior from a member of the MC.

on second thought, given recent history, I shouldn't expect that much.

Last edited:
I've started the day with 2+ hours of duty buffer just to end it with a 45min extension. Stuff happens that's WAY beyond your control.

I had a day a few weeks ago that we spent over 3 hours on the ground for two 20 minute flights. Apparently NY couldn't accept us because they couldn't weave us into the flow. :rolleyes2: However it was fun having a cruise of 5000'. :lol:

You mean like understanding that it was probably the dispatcher that decided on the Vegas stop and not the pilots??

I've had a dispatcher "help" us out with the alternate field just in case. The alternate had a WAY better overnight. Never asked for it he just did it.

It is still possible to have ground icing conditions. Our old company manual said taxiing through slush or snow was ground icing conditions.
There have been more than a few crashes where slush (especially on things like engine inlets and EPR probes) was a factor.

typical - I would expect better behavior from a member of the MC.

on second thought, given recent history, I shouldn't expect that much.

He was calling you out on having no idea WTF you're talking about and not listening to those who do know WTF they're talking about.

So, I see no issues with anyone except you.

From what I've heard, being in Vegas is not so much of a treat as to motivate someone to game the system to spend the night there.

Being in Vegas and not being able to stay up all night drinking would seem to defeat the purpose of wanting to be in Vegas.

Back