Unlicensed pilot => jail time....

According to the Virginia Pilot article, he has diabetes, Congestive Heart Failure and COPD. Pretty safe to say he’s not getting a medical. The missing leg is the least of his issues.
The fella sure didn’t have a leg up. o_O

In jail for two weeks. I know guys in jail longer than that for speeding. Granted, they were going really fast.

My local area and this is the first I've heard about this guy or the crash... :mad2: I need to get out more...:yes:

All joking aside, isn't there a female pilot that flies just with her feet?

Yes, but she's a sport pilot and flying under sport pilot rules, not flying with a medical.

Incidentally, you can get a medical with prosthetic limbs. One of the guys who used to work on my Aztec has a prosthetic leg. At times it's convenient, he can take off his leg to get into tight/uncomfortable spaces when working on the plane.

You have unlicensed people doing all sorts of things. Driving cars, flying planes... no surprise to me. Annoying, but not surprising.

How did an airstrip get the name “Umphlett”?

From the news story:

“Gray crashed as he tried to land a 1972 Piper aircraft at Umphlett Airstrip in Suffolk.”

From Urban dictionary:

TOP DEFINITION
Umph
1. UMPH - (expression): stated to express one's horniness or excitement, usually over the opposite sex

2. verb - to have sex with

3. noun - sounds made by either partner during sexual intercourse

A misspelling of the word "hump."
"UMPH!! A hot chick is coming our way!!"

"I wanna umph her so badly!!"

Just don't understand why people think they can beat the system and not fly in an approved manner. But they do and most get away with it.

Well think about it, when was the last time anyone asked to see your pilot certificate? Most airports are uncontrolled and even if not it's not like anyone is checking the tail numbers... and even if they did they don't know who's flying. Most of what we do is effectively on the honor system unless there's an accident.

Well think about it, when was the last time anyone asked to see your pilot certificate? Most airports are uncontrolled and even if not it's not like anyone is checking the tail numbers... and even if they did they don't know who's flying. Most of what we do is effectively on the honor system unless there's an accident.

It goes like that for most things. You only need to show your driver's license if you get pulled over (which is generally pretty easy to avoid if you're trying) or if you're getting carded for alcohol or some other common use items. In those latter cases, it's not a cop asking to see your license so there's no enforcement if you don't have it or refuse to show it.

Life is largely on the honor system, and for the most part, order is maintained that way. Most of the people operating under the radar seem to keep quiet enough so as to not cause trouble or draw attention.

It goes like that for most things. You only need to show your driver's license if you get pulled over (which is generally pretty easy to avoid if you're trying) or if you're getting carded for alcohol or some other common use items. In those latter cases, it's not a cop asking to see your license so there's no enforcement if you don't have it or refuse to show it.

Life is largely on the honor system, and for the most part, order is maintained that way. Most of the people operating under the radar seem to keep quiet enough so as to not cause trouble or draw attention.

I suppose so, it just seems like the odds of getting checked are an order of magnitude lower than in a car. Also that whole thing where the general public and uninitiated believe aviation is this super secured thing when in fact it's usually the opposite.

Back