Univeristy of Illinois Aviation Program recomended to be closed

That reminds me of the James Herriot stories. Wonderful books, or at least I remember loving them. It's been a while.

But I hope UIUC doesn't close their aviation program.

Growing up in the house of a veterinarian (and college professor) I never considered the field. The calls in the middle of the night, "The dog has been sick for 2 weeks, now it's an emergency." just didn't score points with me. But it is a challenging field. And the professional program leading up to the DVM (VMD in Pennsylvania :D ) is demanding. Then there are the residencies for those wishing to go beyond simply passing the state board exam and joining a practise. Given my vet bills in the past (really hurt after having free care growing up :D ) I'm surprised the annual income is as low as it is, but my bet is that is after expenses, which are not minimal.

Oh, and building a program from scratch is expensive. That's why there are 3 in the west (WSU, CSU and UC Davis). There may be a couple more in development, but those have been the only three for the past 60 years.

The young woman should apply to the Vet school at Ohio State. In addition to being an exemplary program, the OSU Airport isn't closing anytime soon.

... And the professional program leading up to the DVM (VMD in Pennsylvania :D )....

You mean AT Pennsylvania. As in University of Pennsylvania. The only one to grant a VMD. Gotta love holdouts for Latin - it's not dead yet!!!!

This has become the mother of all thread creaps. Sorry, Scott.

My Dad taught small animal surgery at the veterinary school at Washington State University for 30 years. He spent some time as the head of the admissions committee. I doubt things have changed much since then (30+ years ago), but then they typically had 700 applicants for 70 openings in the freshman class. And they wanted 70 who would graduate 4 years later, because every person who didn't make it took the place of someone else who might have. It was harder back then to get into veterinary school than it was to get into medical school.

Best of luck to your daughter. It takes more than just a 4.0 gpa to get in. Good that she has some experience. Working for a veterinarian, I hope.

That's about the ratio we've been seeing. Yes, she worked about 700 hours last summer for a large animal vet in a mixed practice in a very small town in Illinois. This was her explanation of job duties on the common application:

Large Animal: vaccinate, deworm, tag, notch, dehorn & cauterize, restraint by tailing, bridling & twitch, head gate & chute operation, pig blood test, bull semen collection. Small Animal: administer oral meds, vaccines, restraint, euthanasia, gland expression, wound cleaning, fecal, heartworm, parvo, distemper tests, internal and external parasite ID. Small Animal Surgery: adminster pre-sedative, sterile surgery animal prep, intubate, O2 level adjustment, dentals.
Oh, and while she didn't do it herself, she assisted in castrations, and the tool was called an "emasculator." :hairraise:

It still is.

There are 29 schools of veterinary medicine in the US and well over 160 schools of human medicine. Last year's statistics show that around 16,000 people applied for 2500 spots. But once you make it in then the real work starts. It is a really tough program.

Thus, the need to talk about a plan B.

Funny. My dad just retired after 45yrs at one of the leading Vet schools (teaching anatomy, physiology, neurophysiology). He was involved with admissions for the last 10-15yrs or so, and constantly bemoaned the decline in the quality of applicants. Quantity, sure, but in his view there isn't a lot of quality.

Not to say your kid isn't qualified. If he/she's good in science, there should be no problem getting accepted. Too many folks applying who want to be vets because they like petting dogs.

She heard a lot of that as well. While the field is dominated by women (at least recently), not too many are interested in large animals. My daughter is completely into the large animal side. I wouldn't say she's fearless, but she amazed me with her ability to work with dairy cattle, beef cattle, and swine. (Except I had to loan her my shooting ear muffs when she was dealing with hogs. They can actually hurt your hearing with their squeeling.)

I think they try to weed out those that just like to pet kittens and puppies, but I can only imagine that is a large chunk of the application pool.

I'm surprised that there aren't more vet schools... it seems like there's a demand for more veterinarians, at least where I live, and if there's only 2000-ish vets graduating a year, maybe there's room for more.

There are over 500 rural counties in the U.S. with no large animal veterinarian. It's becoming a real problem, and I think just this year, schools are starting to respond. Many schools made note that they were increasing their enrollment by 15-20 slots (i.e. increasing from 80 to 100 openings, for example) to help this problem. At least one school said that all these increased slots will go to non-residents. I think what that might mean is that they need the nonresident $$,$$$ per year.

The young woman should apply to the Vet school at Ohio State. In addition to being an exemplary program, the OSU Airport isn't closing anytime soon.

She applied there, among many. It's been a fun month in the household. No stress at all!

Last edited:
She applied there, among many. It's been a fun month in the household. No stress at all!

Oh, man, I sympathize. I'm in the middle of post-doc applications, and it's giving me grad school application flashbacks. Probably not as bad as vet-school, but miserable nonetheless.

I wish her luck. Sounds like she's got the work experience nailed and is well aware of what the profession is like.

Here's an aviation school that is expanding...

ROCKFORD — Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University wants to expand as two Midwestern universities consider getting out of aviation education.

That may be another incentive for Embry-Riddle to choose Rockford for a new residential campus.
“It means there are more qualified students in the Midwest that might be interested in Embry-Riddle as an educational option,” said Eric Voyles, vice president of national development at the Rockford Area Economic Development Council.

“I think it can only be a positive for us.”
http://www.rrstar.com/businessrockf...ry-Riddle-seeks-growth-other-schools-cut-back

AN UPDATE:

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/cam...-aviation-institute-will-likely-be-phased-out

In an attempt to save money at the cash-strapped University, the Institute of Aviation may be phased out until it can be closed permanently.
According to an e-mail from the Office of the Chancellor, the decision to discontinue flight certifications would save the University between $500,000 and $750,000, with possible additional savings.
The e-mail comes following a Stewarding Excellence @ Illinois review of the Institute of Aviation, which initially proposed to close the Institute on Sept. 28, 2010. The Stewarding Excellence project team made the final suggestion after no other academic programs committed to taking over the institute’s degree program, citing that they were not yet financially feasible.

A couple of the smaller colleges on campus were also proposed to merge but that is not going to happen. There is a lot of cost cutting going on in the state and this program is redundant and expensive. I am sad to see it go, but SIU has a much more well attended program. The University also owns the airport itself, but there is no word on if they would now want to sell it.

How did it go for your daughter, Stan? My sister works in Biomedical Research/Infectious Diseases at Tufts Vet in Grafton. Beautiful campus.

Cheers,

-Andrew

How did it go for your daughter, Stan? My sister works in Biomedical Research/Infectious Diseases at Tufts Vet in Grafton. Beautiful campus.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thanks for asking. She's received a few ding letters, a couple wait-lists, and some she hasn't heard from yet. She was asked to come for an interview at Mississippi State University's CVM, so we are headed down to Starkville, MS next weekend. Woo hoo! (Actually we are flying into Birmingham, AL and then driving 2 hours to Starkville.) Should be interesting.

The only ding that really brought tears was Iowa State. She really liked that school. But the numbers were brutal. Some letters talk about the number of applicants, i.e. 1400 applicants for 80 slots, with few of those for out of state students. Wisconsin will be the last school to respond, sometime in March.

Grafton is nice. I've spent some time in Worcester. I like that area.

A possible reprieve for U of I's aviation program

The Institute of Aviation’s doors could remain open, after the Urbana-Champaign Senate’s Educational Policy Committee voted 10-4 to recommend against a proposal that would end the program.
Abbas Aminmansour, chair of the committee, said the recommendation against the proposal enters “new territory.” This vote was unprecedented, since the committee has voted in favor of other reorganization proposals it has received.
http://www.dailyillini.com/news/campus/2011/03/14/institute-of-aviation-may-continue-flying

Thanks for asking. She's received a few ding letters, a couple wait-lists, and some she hasn't heard from yet. She was asked to come for an interview at Mississippi State University's CVM, so we are headed down to Starkville, MS next weekend. Woo hoo! (Actually we are flying into Birmingham, AL and then driving 2 hours to Starkville.) Should be interesting.

The only ding that really brought tears was Iowa State. She really liked that school. But the numbers were brutal. Some letters talk about the number of applicants, i.e. 1400 applicants for 80 slots, with few of those for out of state students. Wisconsin will be the last school to respond, sometime in March.

Grafton is nice. I've spent some time in Worcester. I like that area.

I actually got into a school of veterinary medicine many years ago, but chose a research track instead, and am very glad of it. From what I've gleaned from my colleagues in the vet school, there is quantity, but as another poster said, the quality is not evident. I do remember taking the veterinary aptitude test many years ago after lighting a show and drinking all night with no preparation whatsoever. I scored off the charts on a violent hangover. That experience gave me a particular disdain for the applicant pool of the day.

Veterinary schools are now mostly female, which give me pause when thinking about the field. Female-dominated professions have been historically underpaid and overworked, which certainly sounds like the veterinary field today.

And to continue the drift of this thread back toward its original subject, I doubt OSU will be closing it's aviation program or it's aeronautical engineering program any time soon. My own nephew is considering the latter.

And to continue the drift of this thread back toward its original subject, I doubt OSU will be closing it's aviation program or it's aeronautical engineering program any time soon. My own nephew is considering the latter.
Well UIUC is in a bit of a financial pickle. The money has been bleeding out of the place for a while. Especially when it came to executive compensation. So the trustees fired the chancellor and hired a new guy at almost twice the salary to get spending under control B):incazzato:MORONS!

It probably doesn't help that Illinois already has Chicago and Northwestern, thus UIUC is not the flagship institution and will likely not get the lion's share of resources.

It probably doesn't help that Illinois already has Chicago and Northwestern, thus UIUC is not the flagship institution and will likely not get the lion's share of resources.
Chicago and NW are private institutions. UIUC is the state's flagship university and does get the lions share already.

I actually got into a school of veterinary medicine many years ago, but chose a research track instead, and am very glad of it. From what I've gleaned from my colleagues in the vet school, there is quantity, but as another poster said, the quality is not evident....
....Same can be said for our medical school applicant pool.

....Same can be said for our medical school applicant pool.
I work with some of the pre-med students from the local university and have been underwhelmed with quality of future med school applicants. I think some of the more competitive students have decided to apply for dental school or other fields due to uncertainty about the future of medicine. The brightest student I know dropped out of pre-med and decided to go to grad school instead.

Can't say I blame them. I'm going to guess that an aviation program is considerably more expensive than, say, English Lit, or Geology.

Geology classes are prohibitively expensive. They have inventory of rocks.
I was talking to the theatre department head of the community college I was at and the axe swingers idea is that they only want to fund classes with chairs, dry erase boards (instructors bring your own dry erase markers/erasers) lights, minimal heat/ac and at least 25 students per class. Anything less is moved to the top of the axe list even if the department in question is reliably funding their operations by outside donations.

Apparently $$ is everything nowadays and to heck with hands on education.

I actually got into a school of veterinary medicine many years ago, but chose a research track instead, and am very glad of it. From what I've gleaned from my colleagues in the vet school, there is quantity, but as another poster said, the quality is not evident. I do remember taking the veterinary aptitude test many years ago after lighting a show and drinking all night with no preparation whatsoever. I scored off the charts on a violent hangover. That experience gave me a particular disdain for the applicant pool of the day.

Veterinary schools are now mostly female, which give me pause when thinking about the field. Female-dominated professions have been historically underpaid and overworked, which certainly sounds like the veterinary field today.

I have no way of gauging the quality, but it is really a numbers game. She had a pretty high GPA and scored well on the GRE, and still was rejected at the majority of schools that she applied to. She got in to Mississippi State, and was waitlisted at Kansas State and Oklahoma State. So, she's off to MSU's CVM!

On two visits to Starkville, MS, I've got to say that the northern part of Mississippi is pretty scenic. Not what I expected having only previously traveled to the southwestern part of the state in the past.

In doing some flight planning for future flights there, there are some big MOA's to the north with an 8,000 ft. floor that I'm going to have to figure out. Otherwise it's a 70 mile departure to the West if I wanted to stay on airways.

I have no way of gauging the quality, but it is really a numbers game. She had a pretty high GPA and scored well on the GRE, and still was rejected at the majority of schools that she applied to. She got in to Mississippi State, and was waitlisted at Kansas State and Oklahoma State. So, she's off to MSU's CVM!

On two visits to Starkville, MS, I've got to say that the northern part of Mississippi is pretty scenic. Not what I expected having only previously traveled to the southwestern part of the state in the past.

In doing some flight planning for future flights there, there are some big MOA's to the north with an 8,000 ft. floor that I'm going to have to figure out. Otherwise it's a 70 mile departure to the West if I wanted to stay on airways.

I'm pretty sure Steve's daughter is still at Starkville.

Just stay below 8000 and you're out of the MOA

Thanks. It's a brutal process just getting in. She wants to go the large animal route and has some experience there, so that should help, but you never know. We've spoken about the need for a plan B.

Has she looked into the jobs for large animal vets? My nephew is graduating form Iowa State and want large animal. He's finding a hard time getting any decent jobs in the local area. He can go to California and work for a mega-dairy. Could work a hog finishing facility.

My brother became a race horse vet 50 years ago. Times are different.

I don't have enough facts to suggest more than that your daughter might want to take a cold, hard look at the jobs before she commits.

Dental school is the choice for many. 8-5 hours and decent pay (BIL bought two farms). Lots of opportunity if you want to have a sole practice in a small town.

Last edited:
Has she looked into the jobs for large animal vets? My nephew is graduating form Iowa State and want large animal. He's finding a hard time getting any decent jobs in the local area. He can go to California and work for a mega-dairy. Could work a hog finishing facility.

That is surprising. I have read multiple reports of a shortage in large animal vets as vet students increasingly choose a small animal practice.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/us/06vets.html
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/mar10/100315b.asp
http://www.jsonline.com/business/42858817.html

Chicago and NW are private institutions. UIUC is the state's flagship university and does get the lions share already.

As a Purdue and Northwestern grad, I HIGHLY respect the UofI engineering program as do all serious engineers. I've met some solid working engineers and some brilliant grad students. It will be a great shame if UofI programs take a hit. That said, University sloth and waste make state government look thrifty (at least here in Indiana).

Take a look at the non-teaching expenses and how they've grown over the last 20 years. You could probably cut the budget by a third and not really hit teaching quality ... there are DROVES of Directors, Assistant Directors, Administrators, Assistants, etc. Universities need to stop building gold plated dorms, uber-plush lounges, mall-like Unions and get back to teaching. Cut the crap, focus on teaching and research and let the ignorant, wealthy and snobbish go elsewhere and pay 4X the tuition for the same education.

Dental school is the choice for many. 8-5 hours and decent pay (BIL bought two farms). Lots of opportunity if you want to have a sole practice in a small town.
No offense to dentists here but you couldn't pay me enough to look in people's mouths all day, however, being a vet is one thing I considered doing (briefly) when I was younger. Diff'rent strokes I guess. :dunno:

No offense to dentists here but you couldn't pay me enough to look in people's mouths all day, however, being a vet is one thing I considered doing (briefly) when I was younger. Diff'rent strokes I guess. :dunno:

I knew some sociology grad students that were studying the 1980s farm crisis. Word at that time was the first person to go out of business in a small town when times got tough was the dentist...

I've always admired vets for being able to figure out what's wrong without being able to talk to the patient.

I don't have enough facts to suggest more than that your daughter might want to take a cold, hard look at the jobs before she commits.

She has, and while it won't be an easy or really profitable profession, she does see opportunities for large animal vets. She worked for a large animal vet in a small Illinois town two years ago, and feels that large animal is her calling, primarily food animal vs. equine. It also fits in Wisconsin with such a large dairy industry.

I heard last summer that there are over 500 rural counties in the US that have no large animal vet. We have friends who raise hogs and sheep in El Paso, IL, and their vet comes from another county.

Here's some interesting information for what it's worth: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos076.htm

Politics of IL aside I see why they would target these 141 outfits. The industry simply does not support the scale of 141 outfits out there. Much like graduation rates in general, these people have nowhere to go. Like a clogged pipe. I have two degrees in aerospace engineering and I'm telling you my job satisfaction would have been miserable had I not had military aviation available to me. Considering this economy, I'd be on the street, which I consider underemployment to be an emotional equivalent to; probably substitute teaching as I wait for the next round of data mining babysitters to be hired at Lockmart or Boeing..across the other side of the country no less. And that's aero engineering. Aviation majors? Lord help them.

I got all of my civilian ratings (sans my PPL and IR) @ KLAF on the part 61 side of the field (which is part of my point in the first place) during the summers, when I was not getting academically harassed at PU's graduate AAE program. I was always shocked at the sticker price these kids were paying for an aviation major and boring circles in the sky on a Warrior III. The majority did not get employment right away, or simply walked away from 121 aspirations the expensive way and the debt they accrued for the "experience" certainly was not worth it in my book. That's a lot of south american vacations for the price of a house mortgage. Some got on with Republic Holdings due to the proximity of the Indy base, but otherwise it was back home to CFI or go back home and hear it from mom and dad about "how come u don't have a JOB, I'm up to the chin on PLUS loans". There are certainly cheaper ways to gain a non-marketable "ok you checked the 'have a college degree' box" credential than going to a 141 school. U of I is helping the industry by shedding the excess. I think this is good I'm sorry.

As to department consolidation, absolutely could be done. They could consolidate the undergraduate AAE department at Purdue and it wouldn't affect their true bottom line, which is the research grants, not your child btw...I know, I taught at the place as a TA for couple years and change. Top 25 engineering schools are good at marketing the "you too could be project manager for NASA if you get a degree from ________, don't mind the Shuttle program and your dreams of awe-inspiring work, are gone." Engineers in my field are historically largely employed outside the field, and this is becoming noticed in an economy where ALL engineers are getting squeezed while every swinging Dick and Harry has a BS in Mech/civil/chem/elec/Indust and they keep swelling the roster year after year. As enrollment lowers due to increasing tuition costs and *hopefully* constriction in the access to student loans (particularly in order to afford out of state education), these rent-seeking institutions will be forced to cut the fat, which includes many non-productive (in terms of employment outlook) departments. It's a tough time for sure, but this ain't kindergarten, we can't all be first place holders.

One thing is true, the old adage of lawyer, doctor, engineer is DEAD, dead. These professions are no longer compensation competitive (sans medicine in more specialized branches), particularly if we're trying to afford GA and not just salivate at pictures of planes we can't afford on an internet board, right? It's extremely sad to see these law graduates working pro bono in New England for less than the brazilian immigrant makes working 50 hours a week supervising the Dunkin' Donuts in downtown Boston. It's insanity I tell ya. And no, not all students can or will graduate from Columbia Law and have job placement with a positive ROI for the debt incurred. That's a lot of law schools to close if we go by that measure. People are going to have to get creative.

My biggest observation of my generation [Y] is that they have entered the college rat race with the assumption that the economic model that worked for boomers holds true for them. And they're getting left behind, which is where you see this criticism from the older generation about "these kids and their entitlement complex of making above median income straight out of college". Yes, they all want to make more than 50K out of college for the trouble and self-imposed economic servitude of going to school for 3 times what you did inflation-adjusted and competing against twice as many peers, but that's only because that's the model they were indoctrinated to look at: the boomer model of 'get a degree and you're set'.

I have young female acquaintance, Olive Garden waitress for 5 years running, graduates UCF with a marketing degree, thinks she's gonna be alright, graduates and no job, makes more now because she doesn't have to do Olive Garden part-time. Her life between freshman year and now didn't change one iota, she just has more time to make money at Olive Garden now. And when she accepts a position on the premise of that marketing degree, she'll make less to little more than what she pulled at Olive Garden. Time to double THAT income? Decades. Hardly the premise under which your children are still going to college for.

This is a tough pill. It should be. It was for me. I just wish they would shed the misinformed position rather than get hit in the face with employment disillusionment once the economic commitment has been made and it's too late. As someone who realized during his grad school that he loathed the drudgery of the modern aerospace engineering "de facto computer programmer" 'yob' and the myth of income stability and relative job permanency (another boomer staple), I can attest to the callousness of simply suggesting to a person who's over the degree major credits hump to simply "change majors to another dead end" and pay for it through the nose. I think U of I closing that shop empowers the students to make the right decision for their economic futures. That said, they can still chase the pipedream somewhere else and no one can stop them from self-imposed hardship, I hope for their sake they reconsider.

As we become a third world power, we cannot finance the professions. My ERAU Mentee class of 01 went to Kallingrad for the opportunity to fly a G200, o/w her career would be at a dead standstill. KALLINGRAD. Russia on the Baltic Sea.

When we lose our best and brightest abroad it's the deathknell.

Did you know that of the SIU College of Aviation class of 10, there is only one graduate working in Aviation, and I am honored to know him.
Yours perhaps. Ours is in good shape indeed, and includes some of my top students.
Very refreshing. I do have to say that our foreign student population has some very very top notch students therein. Our domestic population, though...OMG.

Last edited:

Ssshhh, don't be letting the cat out of the bag....we'll be overrun by like-minded damn yank-, er, people of the northern persuasion if they find out. The whole state is a backwood swamp full of unenlightened yahoos...as reported by the mainstream media and those that follow it. Just overlook those trivial points like home to the one of the largest Nissan auto factories in the world, test facility for all major US rocket engines ever since Apollo at Stennis Space Center, and literary heavy-weights like Faulkner, Welty, Wright, and Grisham to name a few. Nothing going on here, nope. We take the brunt of all those stereo-typing jokes and just nod knowingly to each other as we deposit the $$.

http://mississippibelieveit.com/

The Columbus MOAs are active during daylight hours weekdays and cold at night and on the weekends. Columbus AFB is a training facility and conducts about 350 sorties a day, making it one of the busiest air bases in the country. It's not a bad idea to talk to MEM CTR even if you're not in the SUA. Most pilots I know stay under the Columbus MOAs when its active flying north and south, even biz jets going to Tupelo. It's either that or climb to 23k.

I currently have two daughters in Starkville, one is graduating this year in Communications and one just enrolled in graduate school working on a Master's in the field of soil science after working for the NRCS and the university extension service; her husband just got his PhD in AeroSpace and is a faculty member in the department as well as a researcher. They'd be happy to be points of contact, I'm sure, if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

We fly into STF fairly regularly for family visits and the odd athletic event on campus. There is a Budget counter at the airport. In the past couple of year they've added 24-hr self serve fuel. You do have to watch for game day TFRs, and the occasional glider operation by the school's glider club. It's also the home of Raspet Flight Research Laboratory from which you may catch a glimpse at some their latest projects on rare occasions.

http://www.raspet.msstate.edu/about/index.php

Some of the preliminary design work on the HondaJet was done at STF.

As we become a third world power, we cannot finance the professions. My ERAU Mentee class of 01 went to Kallingrad for the opportunity to fly a G200, o/w her career would be at a dead standstill. KALLINGRAD. Russia on the Baltic Sea.

When we lose our best and brightest abroad it's the deathknell.

Did you know that of the SIU College of Aviation class of 10, there is only one graduate working in Aviation, and I am honored to know him.
Very refreshing. I do have to say that our foreign student population has some very very top notch students therein. Our domestic population, though...OMG.

I just learned that the average GPA of the incoming class is 3.7, which is very good at our institution. And that's the average. I can't remember the average MedCAT score, but it was up there. Hereabouts they're still getting a lot of very intelligent and motivated young people. and they're giving them a lot less for their tuition money than they did previously.

Ssshhh, don't be letting the cat out of the bag....we'll be overrun by like-minded damn yank-, er, people of the northern persuasion if they find out. The whole state is a backwood swamp full of unenlightened yahoos...as reported by the mainstream media and those that follow it. Just overlook those trivial points like home to the one of the largest Nissan auto factories in the world, test facility for all major US rocket engines ever since Apollo at Stennis Space Center, and literary heavy-weights like Faulkner, Welty, Wright, and Grisham to name a few. Nothing going on here, nope. We take the brunt of all those stereo-typing jokes and just nod knowingly to each other as we deposit the $$.

The Columbus MOAs are active during daylight hours weekdays and cold at night and on the weekends. Columbus AFB is a training facility and conducts about 350 sorties a day, making it one of the busiest air bases in the country. It's not a bad idea to talk to MEM CTR even if you're not in the SUA. Most pilots I know stay under the Columbus MOAs when its active flying north and south, even biz jets going to Tupelo. It's either that or climb to 23k.

I currently have two daughters in Starkville, one is graduating this year in Communications and one just enrolled in graduate school working on a Master's in the field of soil science after working for the NRCS and the university extension service; her husband just got his PhD in AeroSpace and is a faculty member in the department as well as a researcher. They'd be happy to be points of contact, I'm sure, if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

We fly into STF fairly regularly for family visits and the odd athletic event on campus. There is a Budget counter at the airport. In the past couple of year they've added 24-hr self serve fuel. You do have to watch for game day TFRs, and the occasional glider operation by the school's glider club. It's also the home of Raspet Flight Research Laboratory from which you may catch a glimpse at some their latest projects on rare occasions.

My biggest problem with Mississippi is the last three times I've driven through it I've gotten sick and ended up vomiting in northern MS. I didn't really enjoy the Super8 in Southaven last week. I started getting sick about a hour after your flight review.

My biggest problem with Mississippi is the last three times I've driven through it I've gotten sick and ended up vomiting in northern MS. I didn't really enjoy the Super8 in Southaven last week. I started getting sick about a hour after your flight review.

If you'd quit buying those egg salad sandwiches out of the geedunk machines at the Pik 'n Pak you wouldn't have that problem...:wink2:

Thanks, Steve. I'll PM you. I stopped by STF, and spoke to a couple of hangar rats. There are some interesting planes based there too.

As for Starkville, I've got to say everyone - 100% - that we met were friendly and helpful. I didn't quite feel that southern hospitality living in Charlotte for 6 years. Further, I may be flying down just to hit Petty's BBQ: http://visitsouth.com/articles/article/pettys-bbq-starkville-ms/. Wow, that was great.

Thanks, Steve. I'll PM you. I stopped by STF, and spoke to a couple of hangar rats. There are some interesting planes based there too.

As for Starkville, I've got to say everyone - 100% - that we met were friendly and helpful. I didn't quite feel that southern hospitality living in Charlotte for 6 years. Further, I may be flying down just to hit Petty's BBQ: http://visitsouth.com/articles/article/pettys-bbq-starkville-ms/. Wow, that was great.

Petty's is by far the local favorite!

I'm more of a Grumpy's guy, myself.

http://visitsouth.com/articles/article/grumpys-starkville-ms/

There are several other good BBQ's in the area, particularly Little Dooey's

http://visitsouth.com/articles/article/the-little-dooey-starkville-ms/

btw, GTR has scheduled airline service if you need it and is much closer than BHM. The GTR airport director is a former flight instructor from the AFB and is a private pilot, too.

sorry for the thread hijackeration , didn't see it until today

I missed this thread until today. Perhaps, while there has been hyping or criticism of the educational values of various institutes of higher learning, a PoA administrator should make corrections in the thread title.(Univeristy and recomended ).

Eye wont too bee fare hear butt theirs knot a read-flagged word inn this righting until aye putt univeristy and recomended heir, cause awl words are spelled write; joust knot the write use in affect.

:eek:) HR

This is indeed how things are going at Universities all over the country. Enrollments are up, subsidies are down, and small specialized (and expensive) programs are on the block,

Because specialization would be bad, and might make people money when they get out of school? :( (Wait, scratch that for aviation... we all know what starting FO's make... hmm...)

Let's just crank out Liberal Arts majors everywhere who'll whine incessantly about the government not "taking care of them" when they exit their chosen cookie-cutter state-run University with a piece of paper that says they learned something, and they still have no idea what they want to build, do, or accomplish that will be useful.

Sounds like a great plan. :dunno:

Back