United Leggings

There's a girl here in the office. A real cutie, and she wears leggings every day, despite the fact that they're not within the dress code. She's been here about 18 months and no one has said anything to her about it yet. Don't get me wrong, she's stunning in them...but a business office just isn't the right place for them. I'd say something to her supervisor but he came in this morning wearing a t-shirt not tucked in and his shirt not buttoned. Kids today...

I think it's interesting that United's rules for pass riders includes No Bare Feet.

How commonly do passengers board a plane bare footed? I don't think I've ever noticed it, except maybe for infants.

Well, I normally don't see them board barefoot, but I've seen plenty of women shed their flip flops once on the aircraft.

I remember 2 things I've seen where I just shook my head.

One was in San Jose, way before 9/11. I was walking to my gate and had to go through the metal detectors, so I picked the shortest line. I was second in line, and then I realized the 20-something woman in front of me had metal all over her - leather jacket and pants with metal and chains all through it and metal piercings all through various parts of her head. And that was just the visible stuff. I moved over to the other line. She's probably still there.

The other time was more recent, at Kansas City. I was at the Southwest security line and saw some 20-something dude. This guy was wearing a one-piece pajama style teddy bear suit. It was almost like he had lost a bet, but I don't think so. Remember Pajama Boy from those Obama Care ads? Stick that guy in a teddy bear union suit with a hoodie and have him drag a carry-on behind him, that's what he looked like.

Activists primarily used to be people who actually fought against real social injustices. Now any perceived inconvenience or hurt feelings kicks some idiot into activist mode and social media is a big part of it. It gives everyone a voice, even the most ill informed and ignorant amongst us.

This was Shannon Watts from Mom's Demand Action, a Bloomberg funded anti-rights group.

6d149548d8492a4bdaace9be907a3fcf.jpg

There's a girl here in the office. A real cutie, and she wears leggings every day, despite the fact that they're not within the dress code. She's been here about 18 months and no one has said anything to her about it yet. Don't get me wrong, she's stunning in them...but a business office just isn't the right place for them. I'd say something to her supervisor but he came in this morning wearing a t-shirt not tucked in and his shirt not buttoned. Kids today...
If I worked there and you reported her, I might have to kill you.

I dunno man, Twitter hasn't changed my life one little bit. Of course I don't subscribe to any kind of social media.
The closest I come to social media is POA and LinkedIn though I barely visit LinkedIn anymore and I've turned off all email notifications from them. I just keep a professional profile there for career reasons.

Both my parents worked for United and I grew up traveling non-rev... and dressed appropriately for it. I remember wearing a coat and tie to go to Hawaii (years later they relaxed the dress code a bit for the Hawaii flights). I can't believe this is such "news".

Skydog, I didn't make that comment to disparage anyone who subscribes to social media. My wife and daughters and the kids that work for me apparently couldn't live if it wasn't for it. POA and a woodworking forum I belong to are the closest I come.

I rarely button my tee shirts. Once in a while, though, when I'm applying for an aviation job, I'll button it down and toss a tie over my head.

I don't get why employees who are flying as passengers should have a different dress code, not like anyone not looking at their ticket is likely to know the difference.

But whatever it's their airline and it's a free seat so....

It has to do with our entire society going to s**t in terms of proper attire while in public. With the employee dress code at least there's a chance of one or two people not looking like a total slob.

As an airline employee I'm ALL for it. We relaxed ours a little bit allowing pass riders to wear jeans which I felt was a bad move.

United can set whatever (legal) policies it wishes, but enforcing the employee dress-code for a non-rev child seems overzealous - it's not like we're talking about a crude slogan t-shirt. I can't imagine anyone being remotely disturbed by a child wearing leggings, and one would hope United allows its agents some discretion.

My early jumpseat days we wore ties and jackets. If you really wanted a ride then better have a bag full of doughnuts.....

Then one day I walked up to a captain to ask for a ride. He told me to lose the tie, it makes me look like a fed...... is that a bag full of doughnuts..???

Funniest jumpseat story. I was coming out of Barrow wanting to get to Anchorage. I was wearing nice khaki slacks and a polo style shirt under a nice company jacket, not a work jacket. As I walked on to the plane, the lead flight attendant jumped my butt. She told me I was not appropriately dressed and that if she had anything to say about it I would be refused boarding. She told me you can bet I will notify your director of operations about this breech of rules.

I told her if you want to notify my director of operations you are welcome to. He is sitting right here. And he was wearing dirty and torn Carharrts pants, dirty, torn and mostly unbuttoned shirt and 2 weeks beard. She looked at him and stormed off.

After the flight I did check with the captain to see if the jumpseat dress code had changed. Nope, your fine. At the time beards were allowed in Alaska state only.

United can set whatever (legal) policies it wishes, but enforcing the employee dress-code for a non-rev child seems overzealous - it's not like we're talking about a crude slogan t-shirt. I can't imagine anyone being remotely disturbed by a child wearing leggings, and one would hope United allows its agents some discretion.
The employee should know the rules for dress code and ensure that the child complies.

If one thinks the rules are unreasonable, either work to change them or find another job. Pretty simple.

It has to do with our entire society going to s**t in terms of proper attire while in public. With the employee dress code at least there's a chance of one or two people not looking like a total slob.

As an airline employee I'm ALL for it. We relaxed ours a little bit allowing pass riders to wear jeans which I felt was a bad move.

For me anything other than jeans or cargo shorts = dressing up and that generally only happens for weddings and funerals. Last place I worked was a corporate HQ for a very large retail chain.... jeans were in the day to day dress code and most of wore them including the CEO. Of course I've lived my whole life in the rural midwest around farmers. It's not at all strange for me to see people in professional settings- banks, lawyer's offices, etc in jeans.

If I got on a commercial airliner and my pilot or even the cabin crew had on cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt I'd be thrilled. That's what I wear when I fly after all :)

The employee should know the rules for dress code and ensure that the child complies.
As I said, United can set whatever policy it wishes, but none of that means the gate agent couldn't exercise some discretion. The intent of the rule is plainly to ensure non-revs are presentable and don't harm the image of United. I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone with the stick so far up there that they're bothered by a child in leggings, or who would somehow think less of United for having an employee who allows their child to wear them. Anyone that perturbed by other people couldn't possibly tolerate the broader experience of flying United (I spend a lot of time on their airplanes). :)

How far can United take it before some common-sense and discretion would be appropriate? Can a 2-y.o non-rev wear "items designated as sleepwear" when boarding a red-eye?

As I said, United can set whatever policy it wishes, but none of that means the gate agent couldn't exercise some discretion. The intent of the rule is plainly to ensure non-revs are presentable and don't harm the image of United. I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone with the stick so far up there that they're bothered by a child in leggings, or who would somehow think less of United for having an employee who allows their child to wear them. Anyone that perturbed by other people couldn't possibly tolerate the broader experience of flying United (I spend a lot of time on their airplanes). :)

How far can United take it before some common-sense and discretion would be appropriate? Can a 2-y.o non-rev wear "items designated as sleepwear" when boarding a red-eye?
United can allow whatever discretion they want, but until that time it is definitely in the employees' best interest not to exercise unauthorized discretion, which seems to be the gist of the pro-discretion argument.

Once someone starts ignoring company policies, aircraft limitations, or FARs, it's pretty difficult to draw a line at where to stop. "You did this for that person, why won't you do something totally unrelated but just as <illegal/unsafe/against policy> for me?" I've seen employees fired because they didn't draw their imaginary line in the same place as management's imaginary line.

Well, I normally don't see them board barefoot, but I've seen plenty of women shed their flip flops once on the aircraft.
Yea that's something I see a lot of as well. Call me a bit neurotic but when I fly I try to wear clothing and shoes that will not hinder my egress from the plane in case of emergency. I always wonder about folks who wear flip flops or strapless sandals on a plane. I think ok what happens if you have what the airlines call an off airport landing ie crash and you need to get out NOW. Its dark, there is smoke, there is crap like metal, broken plastic bags, soda cans, etc. strewn everywhere and when you get down the slide there could be hot metal parts, Jet fuel and open flames on the ground. Now you are in bare feet because in the mob scene to get off the plane 10 people step on your feet pulling your flip flops and strapless sandals right off your feet. Walking through sharp objects and flames are sure going to screw up that pedicure you got for your trip.

United can allow whatever discretion they want, but until that time it is definitely in the employees' best interest not to exercise unauthorized discretion, which seems to be the gist of the pro-discretion argument.
Allowing a toddler to wear pajamas is not quite in the same category as ignoring aircraft limitations. Management at UA aren't complete fools; they aren't going to penalize anyone for permitting that in this day and age even if they wanted to.

"It's hard to draw the line" is classic vagueness paradox, and it doesn't mean there aren't examples that obviously fall on either side of it (don't take off 50% over gross, do let a toddler wear PJs).

I see United agents exercise good sense in waiving trivial United policies just about weekly, and I see most of them still employed the following week...

Allowing a toddler to wear pajamas is not quite in the same category as ignoring aircraft limitations.
I disagree...what's the harm in 1% over gross?
"It's hard to draw the line" is classic vagueness paradox, and it doesn't mean there aren't examples that obviously fall on either side of it (don't take off 50% over gross, do let a toddler wear PJs).
Ok...if the line is somewhere between 1% and 50% over gross, where exactly is it?

At what age can someone no longer wear pajamas?

According to that news link and other sources I've seen, the whole thing blew up on Twitter because some "activist" witnessed it, not because the girls or their parents made a fuss.

Yeah, made me think it's probably not such a good idea for a news organization to use someone not on their staff as a news source, or at least look back in their post history and see if they're a loon before trusting anything from a random Twitter user.

I disagree...what's the harm in 1% over gross?

Ok...if the line is somewhere between 1% and 50% over gross, where exactly is it?

At what age can someone no longer wear pajamas?
You really disagree that ignoring aircraft limitations is a different category to letting a non-rev toddler wear PJs?

I do consider safety-related policies to be in a different category, but anyway - your other question is a variant of the sorites paradox. Exactly how many grains of sand do you have to collect to have a "heap"? If you can't say, does that prove there are no heaps (or that any number of grains is a heap)?

You really disagree that ignoring aircraft limitations is a different category to letting a non-rev toddler wear PJs?

I do consider safety-related policies to be in a different category...
What's the safety issue in 1% over gross?

Actually I'm a bit tired of people dressing like they just stepped out of a trailer park when out in public. Right now I'm wearing cargo shorts and an old polo shirt. It's very comfortable but I'm not gonna wear it on an airline flight. I guess decorum has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Then one day I walked up to a captain to ask for a ride. He told me to lose the tie, it makes me look like a fed...... is that a bag full of doughnuts..???.

Ha! That's an awesome Captain right there...

Actually I'm a bit tired of people dressing like they just stepped out of a trailer park when out in public. Right now I'm wearing cargo shorts and an old polo shirt. It's very comfortable but I'm not gonna wear it on an airline flight. I guess decorum has gone the way of the dinosaurs.
I agree, but I don't think there are many people who consider a child simply wearing leggings on a commercial flight indecorous or reminiscent of a trailer park. Though I can't claim any particular expertise in trailer park couture.
What's the safety issue in 1% over gross?
I never said there was one, necessarily.

A variant of the cop-out paradox? ;)
Not at all. I simply think as far as the exercise of employee discretion goes, a safety-related regulation with a federal mandate behind it is in a different category to a company policy that prohibits a non-rev 2-yo from wearing pajamas. I would guess most UA employees would see that too (apart from a couple of friends who work for them my view of UA ops is solely from the SLF perspective, but I've never ever seen them bend rules on who may sit in the exit row, for example).

I never said anything about whether 1% over gross was meaningfully "unsafe", and I don't have to believe that to think that airplane limitations should be approached differently.

I agree, but I don't think there are many people who consider a child simply wearing leggings on a commercial flight indecorous or reminiscent of a trailer park. Though I can't claim any particular expertise in trailer park couture.

Well, I don't believe it was a child. It's my understand us it was a teenager. Neither of us saw what the gate agent saw. Being in the airline industry for almost 23 years I do know that it must have been quite bad though or it would have been allowed with only a warning. If you are curious you can easily learn about trailer park couture by simply observing the passenger boarding area of ANY Spirit Airlines flight.

Well, I don't believe it was a child. It's my understand us it was a teenager. Neither of us saw what the gate agent saw. Being in the airline industry for almost 23 years I do know that it must have been quite bad though or it would been allowed with only a warning. If you are curious you can easily learn about trailer park couture by simply observing the passenger boarding area of ANY Spirit Airlines flight.
Glad to hear an airline employee confirm that discretion would often be applied. Quite true that I don't know the exact ages (when I hear "teens" and "traveling with parent" I assume "minors" but that could be wrong) or what their outfit looked like in toto.

Appreciate the tip re Spirit, but somehow they always seem to be in the "other" terminal. I'll plan a field trip next time I have a long connection.

Not at all. I simply think as far as the exercise of employee discretion goes, a safety-related regulation with a federal mandate behind it is in a different category to a company policy that prohibits a non-rev 2-yo from wearing pajamas.
Frankly, so would I...unfortunately my experience is that neither the whiny customers nor the members of management who ask you to exercise some discretion make that distinction, so I pretty much quit making it as well.

If ownership or management makes rules that says a 1-year-old has to be in a business suit for an overnight flight, that's their problem, not mine.

Last edited:

Since you brought it up, I am happy to report that since 2015 my record has been completely cleared (since I committed no crime) and I received my CWP back. I also successfully sued Maricopa county to make them comply with state law and accept cash for bail.

I have continued with open carry and anti-TSA activism, some of which is documented on my Google+ page. Also possibly of interest to this group is our site http://realairlinesecurity.org, regarding the TSA.

But of course, all of this has nothing to do with leggings!

Back