United Embraer off runway in ME

How's that TALPA working? I swear there has been a large increase in winter runway excursions ever since TALPA was introduced. Or at least the media has been picking up on them more.

Says United on the side has a United flight number and United prints their name on the tickets. If the company didn't want to get lumped in with their ill behaved stepchildren, they shouldn't claim them as theirs when the times are good.

Says United on the side has a United flight number and United prints their name on the tickets. If the company didn't want to get lumped in with their ill behaved stepchildren, they shouldn't claim them as theirs when the times are good.

1) ill behaved, really? This was an accident and we don’t know any more today.
2) if you knew more about the industry you’d realize it’s separate management separate equipment separate rules, procedures, training, checklists, maintenance, employees, pilots, everything. Nothing in common but the marketing and ticketing. They share a paint job and a ticket which is absolutely meaningless from the how an airplane is operated standpoint. There are regionals that fly for all three majors as well all on the same day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And? It means it was contracted by United, it wasn’t United...

1) ill behaved, really? This was an accident and we don’t know any more today.
2) if you knew more about the industry you’d realize it’s separate management separate equipment separate rules, procedures, training, checklists, maintenance, employees, pilots, everything. Nothing in common but the marketing and ticketing. They share a paint job and a ticket which is absolutely meaningless from the how an airplane is operated standpoint. There are regionals that fly for all three majors as well all on the same day...

Nit picky much? What difference does it make as to who operated the flight? Seems irrelevant in this situation, as the same result still occurred.

images

Nit picky much? What difference does it make as to who operated the flight? Seems irrelevant in this situation, as the same result still occurred.

No, it’s entirely relevant, it’s a separate company. That is if you want to actually have a discussion about it...

No, it’s entirely relevant, it’s a separate company.
It’s Commutair DBA United Express...what’s your point? I’m not seeing how that’s relevant to the accident situation.

It’s Commutair DBA United Express...what’s your point? I’m not seeing how that’s relevant to the accident situation.

DBA means they have United paint. Thats all. The company and pilot and operation and equipment had the accident was Commutair.

http://www.flycommutair.com/

You private folks would all be complaining if the news story said it was a Piper instead of a Cessna.

I’m out, and it wasn’t United.

The fact is your both right. To us in the industry it makes a big difference, but to the general public it doesn't, if united is painted on the side it's united to them.

What are the chances of that!
Do that have to tear down an engine like that for a normal overrun that gear doesn’t whack into??

If my letter arrives torn and soaked in hydraulic oil, it's USPS I hold responsible, not the trucking contractor or rural mail carrier they hired to move it from A to B along the trip.

The regionals fly when UA tells them to, where UA tells them to, use the ground handler UA has contracted etc. Some of them are wholly owned subsidiaries and others receive their airframes on lease from the majors. The second the major reduces their routes, they usually fold. The independent commuter is a myth promoted by those who pay themselves nice salaries to run those entities.

The fact is your both right. To us in the industry it makes a big difference, but to the general public it doesn't, if united is painted on the side it's united to them.
...and if United wanted to make a distinction to the general public, they'd make it such that the distinction was visible to the general public.

I agree that as far as the public is concerned, it’s United. And when the media reports on the accident, it’s United as well.

But we’re an aviation message board, and when someone posts something like this, there’ll likely be the usual speculation about the mishap from a pilot perspective. In that case, I think it makes sense to make the distinction, since from a procedural (and perhaps cultural) standpoint it’s a completely different airline.

Regional airlines are not real airlines. They are glorified leasing companies. Their management are very one dimensional and hang on puppet strings from their mainline masters.

The aircraft wasn’t on United’s operating certificate but united owns it morally and ethically in my opinion.

Regional airlines are not real airlines. They are glorified leasing companies. Their management are very one dimensional and hang on puppet strings from their mainline masters.

The aircraft wasn’t on United’s operating certificate but united owns it morally and ethically in my opinion.

And you know this how??? Who has operational control? Who does the training? Who flies the planes? You’ve no clue.

Ticket said “Operated by Commutair”

And you know this how??? Who has operational control? Who does the training? Who flies the planes? You’ve no clue.

Ticket said “Operated by Commutair”

I have worked for two regional airlines and one airline that was independent and maintained its own direct relationship with the consumer. It’s fundamentally different. So to be blunt I’ve been on both sides of that model and regional airlines are not real airlines. Their management are not capable of running a true airline. You want real life evidence to support my position?
Ask anyone that was on property when Brian Bedford got his hands on Mokulele Airlines, Frontier Airlines and Midwest Express.

I was there and it was a complete **** show.

Edit.

I’m done too. It’s obvious we don’t agree and neither one of us are changing our minds which is fine.

Last edited:
So we have an interesting crash landing with the landing gear somehow ending up in the engine intake and you chuckleheads are arguing paint semantics. I know I know, welcome to POA? :crazy::crazy:

So we have an interesting crash landing with the landing gear somehow ending up in the engine intake and you chuckleheads are arguing paint semantics. I know I know, welcome to POA? :crazy::crazy:

Well.....the landing gear wasn't exactly IN the engine intake...

I crack myself up.

I have worked for two regional airlines and one airline that was independent and maintained its own direct relationship with the consumer. It’s fundamentally different. So to be blunt I’ve been on both sides of that model and regional airlines are not real airlines. Their management are not capable of running a true airline. You want real life evidence to support my position?
Ask anyone that was on property when Brian Bedford got his hands on Mokulele Airlines, Frontier Airlines and Midwest Express.

I was there and it was a complete **** show.

Edit.

I’m done too. It’s obvious we don’t agree and neither one of us are changing our minds which is fine.

They may or may not be a complete ****show, they may or may not have terrible management. We agree. That was never the point. This was not a flight operated by United.

Now children play nice

Back