United Airlines and Channel 9

I get stopped all the time. You are actually walking from first to coach and back or just lapping in your assigned cabin?

I can walk around the cabin I am in, but 1st is not a large cabin. In the 747-400 is is not a very good place to walk either. I will often stand by the exit door and stretch my legs. They seem to be ok doing that.

On AA, I've done both - F to Y and wholly within F (on the 777 and J -> Y on the 767).

On QF and BA, when in J on the 747, I'm always on the Upper Deck. I've done upstairs, downstairs walks within my class, and never left J.

On CX, I've always stayed within my class.

On JL, I've walked the whole plane; a few well placed words in Japanese go a long way (especially a "iie, mada mada")

I stay almost entirely within OneWorld on international long haul, FWIW.

Cheers,

-Andrew

On AA, I've done both - F to Y and wholly within F (on the 777 and J -> Y on the 767).

On QF and BA, when in J on the 747, I'm always on the Upper Deck. I've done upstairs, downstairs walks within my class, and never left J.

On CX, I've always stayed within my class.

On JL, I've walked the whole plane; a few well placed words in Japanese go a long way (especially a "iie, mada mada")

I stay almost entirely within OneWorld on international long haul, FWIW.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I never had a problem on foreign carriers and you listed 4/5 foreign carriers.

AA is one where I have encountered this restriction. I actually asked the FA when she would not let me walk back to the plane if they had encountered a lot of security issues with people walking to the back and trying to hijack it. She thought about that and how dumb this rule was but said it was their rule nonetheless.

As recently as June I was attempting to use the lav right behind first class on a 757 and the AA FA stated that the first class lav was forward and I should use that. I was seated in the row right in front of the coach lav and the front lav was occupied. SIGH!

I remember seeing a show a while back about an early meeting of a bunch of FAs or gate agents new to the company. The meeting organizers didn't show up for about an hour after the mandatory meeting was scheduled to start, and no one told the people what the delay was. When the organizer showed up, s/he told the attendees to remember the feeling, because that's what passengers felt like when left in the gate area without information. I kind of liked that!:yes:

That was a United Airlines "Rising" commerical!

See, they knew full well even before they did the surveys that about everyone thought United sucked. So they ran ads saying they suck, but would be "rising," only they ran the ads saying "We know we suck" "Rising" but in actual practice they skipped the "rising" part.

They ended the campaign fairly quickly.

I never had a problem on foreign carriers and you listed 4/5 foreign carriers.

AA is one where I have encountered this restriction. I actually asked the FA when she would not let me walk back to the plane if they had encountered a lot of security issues with people walking to the back and trying to hijack it. She thought about that and how dumb this rule was but said it was their rule nonetheless.

As recently as June I was attempting to use the lav right behind first class on a 757 and the AA FA stated that the first class lav was forward and I should use that. I was seated in the row right in front of the coach lav and the front lav was occupied. SIGH!

It should bear mentioning that 90% of my travel is on AA, and I've yet to see this issue; that said I do lots of 3 hour MD80's *or* 10 hour 777 runs.

The 757 is a PITA no matter which way you slice it. I've never had the "go back to coach" bathroom issue, but I wonder if it is the crews you deal with? I have more issues with LGA and ORD based crews than the DFW based crews.

Cheers,

-Andrew

What, you don't have a big electronic "I AM AN EXP DYKWIA?" sign on your head when you board?

Clearly, then, you must be doing it wrong.

Guess I need one of those plastic "I AM A DORK" ID and ticket holders to put around my neck to hold the EXP card. ;)

Are you talking about in the days before locked cockpit doors? I'm trying to imagine how they would do that nowadays. Really I can't remember any crew ever doing this even back in the old days.

I fly a lot and have so for a number of years and I can never remember that happening.

Hmmm... on a flight last fall ATL-PRG, we took a 10 minute delay at the gate for MX to one of the J cabin seats. The captain came around, stopped at each seat, told us he was glad we were flying with them, showed us the route of flight plotted on a Jepp North Atlantic chart, and asked if we had any questions. It was the *personal* element that we don't see very often.

And about 50% of the time I'll get the cabin crew coming around F or J to thank us. Not so in steerage. Once upon a time (years ago), I would regularly be given at the end of a flight a bottle of wine or tin of caviar as a top-tier elite. Between the TSA's stupid liquid rules and the financial fortunes of airlines, that hasn't happened since about 2002.

I get stopped all the time. You are actually walking from first to coach and back or just lapping in your assigned cabin?

I can walk around the cabin I am in, but 1st is not a large cabin. In the 747-400 is is not a very good place to walk either. I will often stand by the exit door and stretch my legs. They seem to be ok doing that.

Must just be you. I've not had a problem walking from my seat around the plane - from F or J into steerage. It is a bit of an issue on international flights if you're in steerage and want to go to the front - TSA has something to do with that. Domestically, sometimes you'll get a scowl, and infrequently they'll turn folks around.

On my 744 flight back from NRT this summer there was no issue walking around or climbing the stairs. I did have a J ticket, though.

It should bear mentioning that 90% of my travel is on AA, and I've yet to see this issue; that said I do lots of 3 hour MD80's *or* 10 hour 777 runs.

The 757 is a PITA no matter which way you slice it. I've never had the "go back to coach" bathroom issue, but I wonder if it is the crews you deal with? I have more issues with LGA and ORD based crews than the DFW based crews.

I've never had a problem going from the front cabin into the back on AA or DL. On one memorable flight, we had to make a potty-stop at ORD - we launched from IAD with a known defective lav up front and somewhere over Indiana the decision was made to go to ORD to have it replaced (something about running out of blue water if we didn't stop...). We were instructed to go in back if we needed to go (on a 738 - which has less lavs than a 75).

That said, it's infrequent that I see FAs turn people around who need to go, and they're much more accomodating if the aisle is blocked. Internationally, there's some stupid TSA rule - but that rule basically is enforced as "don't go up front if you're seated in the back".

I fly AA & DL/NW primarily, sometimes WN, B6 and VX domestically and sometimes KL, AF, BA, OK, and a couple of others internationally.

Last edited:
And about 50% of the time I'll get the cabin crew coming around F or J to thank us. Not so in steerage. Once upon a time (years ago), I would regularly be given at the end of a flight a bottle of wine or tin of caviar as a top-tier elite. Between the TSA's stupid liquid rules and the financial fortunes of airlines, that hasn't happened since about 2002.
I guess the difference is that I can count on the fingers of one hand, actually on one finger, the times I can remember flying in first. I do remember getting a bottle of wine and a gift certificate to an Italian restaurant in San Francisco from Western Pacific after winning some trivia quiz they had for the pax on board. I think that's the only time I can remember a quiz like that too.

I guess the difference is that I can count on the fingers of one hand, actually on one finger, the times I can remember flying in first. I do remember getting a bottle of wine and a gift certificate to an Italian restaurant in San Francisco from Western Pacific after winning some trivia quiz they had for the pax on board. I think that's the only time I can remember a quiz like that too.

The other difference may be that I've got top-tier elite status.... which not only makes it possible (or easier) to upgrade, but often results in "customer resource management" (translation: better treatment than those who rarely fly). I consider the treatment I usually get as the treatment that every passenger ought to get.

But that also does not seem to stop them from being decent! They could just turn into a cattle flight. But they still give out free papers, coffee, micro-brew of the month, etc.

And this is the reason when I am out that way I try to get a connection on Horizon.

My first experiance with them was in the mid afternoon as the final leg in a long multi leg trip. The Flight attendent said "Well, i've been advised that it's probally too turbulant for cabin service but it's been a long hot day and I'm sure a cold beer would taste good right now so I'm going to try. lets try to make it quick."

She got eveyone in the plane a drink and got re-seatd before we had a big bump and from my vantage point in the back I saw everyone's glasses raising up as we all sank... I think only one person spilled a bit and everyone laughed and cheered.

It was a wonderful end to a long crummy cramped quick changing flight across the country and I have to say it made my day. That is how you treat passengers.

Missa

One of the best times I ever had on a US Air flight was in Chicago, sitting on the ramp in heavy traffic, and listening to the ground controller trying to direct traffic and get planes to their runways. It was the funniest, most entertaining thing I ever had the pleasure of listening to. The controller and most of the pilots out there were laughing at themselves and each other over the controller's directions. A lot of them were giving the controller words of encouragement. I think the pilots and controllers all had a great time even though they were running themselves ragged.

One of the best times I ever had on a US Air flight was in Chicago, sitting on the ramp in heavy traffic, and listening to the ground controller trying to direct traffic and get planes to their runways. It was the funniest, most entertaining thing I ever had the pleasure of listening to. The controller and most of the pilots out there were laughing at themselves and each other over the controller's directions. A lot of them were giving the controller words of encouragement. I think the pilots and controllers all had a great time even though they were running themselves ragged.

US Air?

I've heard some good stuff between the tower and pilots at ORD, as well. Some hardworking, serious cooperation to get everyone out as quickly and safely as possible. It was good to hear them working together.

Then there was the guy in the SEA tower who used to finish each handoff with "Happy trails!"...

I've never received anything of note from an air crew because of my status. I'm pretty happy with the seat in F most times. Access to a Flagship Lounge at ORD/JFK/etc is nice, however.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I've never received anything of note from an air crew because of my status. I'm pretty happy with the seat in F most times. Access to a Flagship Lounge at ORD/JFK/etc is nice, however.

Showing your (young) age in this travel stuff? Or am I showing my (old) age in this travel stuff? :confused:

Or were you just not flirty enough? :idea:

I don't care if the cap comes out or not. Let him/her do his/her job. Gladhanding is not necessary.

WRT United? The pilots might be, without exception, the finest humans on the planet. I can only judge the airline with my primary points of contact: gate agents and flight attendants. The next nice one I meet will be the first one.

My suggested slogan for United: Service with a Snarl.

WRT Channel 9? I love it. I don't blame caps for turning it off though. Stupid ****head pax ruin the fun for the rest of us.

Showing your (young) age in this travel stuff? Or am I showing my (old) age in this travel stuff? :confused:

Or were you just not flirty enough? :idea:

Bill, if you can pass for flirty, I can pass for thin. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back