Unit to control coms?

Kyle Heagle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Learntofly
I’m adding a Garmin 430 to my light sport with only one radio currently. Do I also need to add the unit to switch from com 1 to com 2 or with the 430 is there a way around that? Also what is that box called?!

It’s an audio panel. There are ways around that, but it’s best to add an audio panel. You could add a DPDT switch to select which com you transmit on, then listen to both (into the intercom radio audio line) and control which you hear with the volume knob. Then you would need a SPST switch t9 add the Nav audio from the 430 to the radio audio line so you can listen to 5e Nav audio if necessary. This is not he ideal way to do this, but it works.

It’s an audio panel. There are ways around that, but it’s best to add an audio panel. You could add a DPDT switch to select which com you transmit on, then listen to both (into the intercom radio audio line) and control which you hear with the volume knob. Then you would need a SPST switch t9 add the Nav audio from the 430 to the radio audio line so you can listen to 5e Nav audio if necessary. This is not he ideal way to do this, but it works.
Yeesh. Yeah better to just come up with the money and do it the right way. Thank you so much!

Installing a GNS 430? Given how old that is, the future problems with getting parts and service, and the cost of installation, maybe look at the GNC 355?

At its most basic, an audio panel is just a series of switches that direct different audio sources to your headset. You can accomplish the same thing with a set of discrete switches. They are pretty simple and can be very cheap, and I'd be willing to build my own if I was working on a very light/small/cheap experimental.

Busy that's just for the basic functions of switching audio sources. The audio panels you see for sale, even the most basic units, have a bunch of additional options, like built in intercoms, audio recorders, crew isolate, Bluetooth, XM radio, etc. That's what makes them so pricey.

The audio panels you see for sale, even the most basic units, have a bunch of additional options, like ...crew isolate
If you have more than 2 seats, there are times where this feature is worth its weight in gold.;)

Ugh.

Switches? Really??

One way we help save customers a little scratch is by simplicity of installs.

And we can still afford inn-n-out Burger after we invoice customers and fly them back to their home airport.

Check out the little PMA 4000. All of the Veronica Aguilera audio without any of the Lizzo footprint. Yes Mark Scheuer, you can quote me :)

Back